šŸ‘ØšŸ¼ā€šŸ’¼ Ange Postecoglou - Manager Thread | Page 63 | Vital Football

šŸ‘ØšŸ¼ā€šŸ’¼ Ange Postecoglou - Manager Thread

Thanks for the work this season, but goodbye.

Deeply flawed system and refuses to change.
So we rear it up and start again? With who in charge?
Personally Iā€™m fed up just as much as the rest of you but something has to change in order to break the traditional manager churn. So we either demand results now or we bite our tongue and be patient knowing it will take another couple of seasons before we see the real reward?

It may get ugly but for once Iā€™m going to play the long game and give the ā€˜projectā€™ more time as itā€™s clear only a few are ā€˜up for itā€™.

From the Evening Standard:

Tottenham head coach Ange Postecoglou believes he has the club's full support to implement the "drastic change" needed to the playing squad and staff to turn his side into a top team.

In a defiant press briefing sandwiched between Thursday night's 2-0 defeat to Chelsea and the visit to Liverpool on Sunday, Postecoglou said the club had "brought into my vision" but suggested that the squad could eventually be "unrecognisable" from the one he inherited.

The Australian's approach has come in for fresh scrutiny following the derby defeats to Arsenal and Chelsea this week, but he added that he has "absolutely no" doubts about his style of play and said he "loves" the challenge of a difficult rebuild.

Before the visit to Stamford Bridge, Postecoglou acknowledged that "a majority" of his players and staff still did not have "true belief" in his approach and he says he is preparing to wield the axe in the summer.

"We need change. Change has to happen," Postecoglou said.

"You canā€™t want to alter your course and expect the same people are going to be on that. Itā€™s just not going to happen.

"Weā€™ve had two windows and weā€™ve had some development of players, for sure, but when I say weā€™ve still got a long way to go, thatā€™s what Iā€™m talking about.

"Itā€™s impossible to say youā€™re going to have drastic change and yet expect everyone to be on that journey.

"Itā€™s not for the want of trying. Itā€™s just that weā€™re going to play a certain way, weā€™re going to train a certain way and weā€™re going to have a certain mindset.

"And thatā€™s not for everyone.

"Whether itā€™s Liverpool or Arsenal, if you look at the beginning of their journeys, by the time they win the competition or have success, the teamā€™s almost unrecognisable.

"Thatā€™s the reality if you change [and weā€™ve] done a major pivot here, so that definitely is the case [for us], yeah."

A number of senior players have already left the club since Postecoglou's appointment last summer, with Harry Kane joining Bayern Munich on the eve of the season former captain Hugo Lloris and Eric Dier frozen out before making January moves.

Postecoglou says there are more "tough decisions" to come, and suggested there could also be a turnover in his staff as well as players.

ā€œWeā€™ve already made tough decisions, we let some experienced players leave the club at the beginning of the year, some by choice," he continued.

"But again, I feel like if weā€™re really going to change, that means change. You have to make decisions.

"Some of those decisions arenā€™t that tough because whether itā€™s a player or a staff member, they realise it themselves and say, ā€˜You know what, Iā€™ve got a better path somewhere else and youā€™ve got a better path hereā€™.

"But some of them you have to make just because of change, not necessarily because they don't fit in the picture but you still have to change. Iā€™ve got to change this squad, I have to.

"Because Iā€™ve got to build a squad I think can play our football.

"For that to happen, there has to be exits. I can't just keep everyone here and keep bringing in players. So sometimes you let people go who you think ā€˜heā€™s a good playerā€™ but how am I going to change if I donā€™t do that."

Many of Postecoglou's Spurs predecessors, including Mauricio Pochettino, Jose Mourinho and Antonio Conte, have wanted to overhaul their squads but ended up being frustrated by what they percieved as a lack of backing from the club.

Asked if he was confident of being fully supported to transform the squad, Postecoglou said: "All I can say is that at the moment I feel like the club has bought into my vision and itā€™s up to me.

"Iā€™m not going to do it on my own, thatā€™s for sure. I never have, wherever Iā€™ve been, Iā€™ve had great support and right now I have all the support I need. I really feel like the club has bought into the vision I have and itā€™s up to me to maintain that."

Consecutive defeats to Newcastle, Arsenal and Chelsea have led to fresh scrutiny of Postecoglou's football, which had never been tested in one of Europe's top leagues before he joined Spurs.

The former Celtic and Yokohama F. Marino manager understands the doubts, but insists his own faith has never wavered and he says he loves the challenge of a difficult rebuild.

"What do you reckon they said when I got to Japan? What do you reckon they said when I got to Scotland?" he said.

ā€œI get [the scepticism]. I understand that. Itā€™s legitimate until success comes and then it doesnā€™t become legitimate.

ā€œMy role is to navigate us to where I think weā€™ll be successful. Itā€™s not new to me. Itā€™s not something I havenā€™t been asked before.

ā€œIā€™ve navigated it exactly the same way.

ā€œBut that doesnā€™t mean those questions shouldnā€™t be there because until you achieve something, obviously people are going to try and figure out if my ideas are going to work here.

ā€œThatā€™s understandable. Until you have success, of course those questions are going to remain.

ā€œBut do I have any doubts? Absolutely none. I have clarity in terms of building us a club which will become successful.

ā€œI believe what I believe, down to my core. Iā€™ll stand on the highest ground, die a noble death, believing in what I believe.

"Put it this way I haven't had anything that's come along my path that has shown me that I need to change.

"So like anything in life, once you feel like something is working for you, something you believe in, brings success -- and it does -- you take that forward.

"Maybe the Premier League is a step too far, mate. Who knows? Maybe, maybe. But I will still be on that hill, wounded, my dying breath 'saying 'I believe, I do believe'.

"But I do, I really do mate. And as long as I'm here that's what you will see. You will see this team playing the way I want it to.

ā€œWhen things are running smoothly, itā€™s almost like what the hell am I doing here? You want the challenge. Thatā€™s where we all get tested.

ā€œI love that aspect of it and Iā€™ve had it in every job Iā€™ve had.

"Imagine the scrutiny and the pressure weā€™ll be under when weā€™re on the cusp of success at this club.

ā€œCan you imagine the questioning that will come around then about the history of this club and how it falls at the final hurdle?

ā€œYouā€™ve got to embrace that. Thatā€™s always going to be there. Nothingā€™s going to run smoothly.

ā€œI do, I love this challenge because this is why I do what I do. Itā€™s up to me."

(London Evening Standard - Dan Kilpatrick)

anyone who followed Celtic can you answer a couple of questions for me?

From some tactico videos I watched pre season there seem to be some differences in how we play and how he played there, and I'm not sure if that's him trying to evolve his philosophy or compromising his ideal setup due to personnel - but from what I understand at Celtic
- he inverted 1 fullback and the other one overlapped?
- he didn't have a clear 10 and 8, just two 8s whose job it was to attack the half spaces and get on the end of balls from the wingers & overlapping FB?
- Who was the main DM? Were they a superhuman expected to do most of the defensive work and also most of the ball progression centrally? or were the other players around them there to compensate any shortcomings?

anyone who followed Celtic can you answer a couple of questions for me?

From some tactico videos I watched pre season there seem to be some differences in how we play and how he played there, and I'm not sure if that's him trying to evolve his philosophy or compromising his ideal setup due to personnel - but from what I understand at Celtic
- he inverted 1 fullback and the other one overlapped?
- he didn't have a clear 10 and 8, just two 8s whose job it was to attack the half spaces and get on the end of balls from the wingers & overlapping FB?
- Who was the main DM? Were they a superhuman expected to do most of the defensive work and also most of the ball progression centrally? or were the other players around them there to compensate any shortcomings?

I read some of the Matt O'Riley articles. Ange definitely helped him become an all round midfielder. He started an amazing passer but added the ability to play 6 or 8. This season he's even got 15 goals. It seemed that Ange got MOR really dialled in to his philosophy.

I've also heard that MOR didn't have much time for Ange though. He seemed glad that he'd left and was certainly not going to follow him to WHL.

Hi guy's, it's been a while. Thought I would pop on after recent performances. I could see this coming months ago, it's why I have stopped coming on.

I like Ange, but we have to be honest with our opinions if you like someone or not.

It doesn't matter if we have King and Dembele in this team, you will concede 60 plus goals every season with this suicidal high line every game.

I can't see Ange changing, which means only one outcome. Getting sacked next season.

Good manager's and coaches have figured him out.

Ange adapt or perish.

Hi guy's, it's been a while. Thought I would pop on after recent performances. I could see this coming months ago, it's why I have stopped coming on.

I like Ange, but we have to be honest with our opinions if you like someone or not.

It doesn't matter if we have King and Dembele in this team, you will concede 60 plus goals every season with this suicidal high line every game.

I can't see Ange changing, which means only one outcome. Getting sacked next season.

Ange adapt or perish.
Great to see you back, hope the health is all on the up now?

Sadly, as much as I hate it, unless we buy some truly outstanding players in the summer, I suspect you're right.

IF he can adapt (unlikely) he could still do well, but that looks like a forlorn hope as of now.

Ange adapt or perish.
Welcome back RD mate.

I read some of the Matt O'Riley articles. Ange definitely helped him become an all round midfielder. He started an amazing passer but added the ability to play 6 or 8. This season he's even got 15 goals. It seemed that Ange got MOR really dialled in to his philosophy.

I've also heard that MOR didn't have much time for Ange though. He seemed glad that he'd left and was certainly not going to follow him to WHL.
My Celtic mate says those rumours were just based on him saying its nice that Rodgers likes having lunch with the players whereas Ange clearly has no interest in being their mate... we were even linked to him a few months back.

Oā€™Riley suggested that replacement Brendan Rodgers had brought ā€˜opennessā€™ to Celtic and his willingness to sit and chat with players was ā€˜a nice, refreshing kind of changeā€™.

Those comments were interpreted as a dig at Postecoglou, with Oā€™Riley then forced to deny any issues between himself and the now-Spurs boss.

Oā€™Riley later stated that his comments were ā€˜blown out of proportionā€™ and he was just appreciating a different managerial style.

The Dane added that Postecoglou is the manager he has learned the most from, ultimately becoming ā€˜so much betterā€™ as a player.

Ange adapt or perish.

Great to see you back.:thumbup: