Team from the coast Vs Team on the beach | Page 4 | Vital Football

Team from the coast Vs Team on the beach

Great result but doesn't it just piss you off that with a few more positive performances against the mid and lower clubs we could have made the play offs.
That's Pompey, Derby and Wanky all beaten on their own grounds. Worth noting in each of those wins we had the least possession and the lower amount of passes.
Still with last week and this week's results you would think the tide has turned and at the beginning of next season we will be sharp out of the blocks.
I won't hold my breath though. I remember the run in to 2011/12 and what happened in the league in 2013 when Martinez reverted back to the usual.

Jeff, can you not just take the positive from today n maybe have whinge or 2 tomorrow or Monday....we've just beaten the champions of the league, be happy my friend 🍻

Great result but doesn't it just piss you off that with a few more positive performances against the mid and lower clubs we could have made the play offs.
That's Pompey, Derby and Wanky all beaten on their own grounds. Worth noting in each of those wins we had the least possession and the lower amount of passes.
Still with last week and this week's results you would think the tide has turned and at the beginning of next season we will be sharp out of the blocks.
I won't hold my breath though. I remember the run in to 2011/12 and what happened in the league in 2013 when Martinez reverted back to the usual.
Not really. Maybe a sign of what we're capable of achieving with such an inexperienced squad, but that would only piss you off if you're the kind of person that takes any opportunity to look to be pissed off

We are like clockwork when it comes to 'the pattern' of turning up against the top sides and getting great results. That's now 6 wins in 8 games against the top four - not just results but we played well in those and deserved the wins. The movement, workrate, intensity, bravery, tempo, positivity, etc was all exactly where you want it to be. It's hard to believe that this is the same side that was so poor when we play anyone below 8th in the table. If we could've shown the mentality we show in these big games every week we'd have probably won the league even with the deduction.

All of the fan fare and celebrations would've affected their focus and Portsmouth were a bit off the pace in the first half but to say we took the lead because of that would do us a disservice - as we were excellent. The only real critasism was I'd we are only 1 up.

Second half Portsmouth improved and came at us much harder but we work hard, defended well and when they did manage to get a shot on target Tickle was immense.

Even if Portsmouth would've managed to have beaten Tickle and scraped a win, you couldn't complain about how we played. The team gave you everything and that's all you ask for.

Neck stuck well and truly out here ... apparently, today was his 500th career appearance, over which time, he's scored nigh on 100 goals, not to mention his 70 odd international caps.

He's not been great for us (understatement!) but he probably deserves a little more respect than he gets.

All that said, I hope he's not offered another contract.

Maybe Jeff but if my Auntie had balls and all that …and in any case it’s definitely too soon to have gone up this season if we had made the play offs….

We are like clockwork when it comes to 'the pattern' of turning up against the top sides and getting great results. That's now 6 wins in 8 games against the top four - not just results but we played well in those and deserved the wins. The movement, workrate, intensity, bravery, tempo, positivity, etc was all exactly where you want it to be. It's hard to believe that this is the same side that was so poor when we play anyone below 8th in the table. If we could've shown the mentality we show in these big games every week we'd have probably won the league even with the deduction.

I disagree re: winning the league. We are still in the financial manure & going up would have crippled us AGAIN!

We've had a lot of rubbish performances and results this season that deserved plenty of critasism. But today certainly wasn't one of them. They did themselves and us proud today.

It doesn't mean all of the previous awful performances are fine or we will definitely play well next week. But after such a frustrating season we should enjoy tonight as we haven't had that many enjoyable performances but that certainly was.

Last edited:
I disagree re: winning the league. We are still in the financial manure & going up would have crippled us AGAIN!

Being in L1 gets you 900k tv monet and about 700k solidarity payments next season.

Being in the Championship gets you about 8m TV money and 3m solidarity payments next season plus is worth a lot more in commercial and match day revenue.

Trying to be self sustainable is hard at any level but much harder with a much smaller revenue.