MATCH THREAD v Newcastle 12-30 kick off 13/4 away | Page 20 | Vital Football

MATCH THREAD v Newcastle 12-30 kick off 13/4 away

Well if our Deluded Dreamer wins his game in hand HH mate,then we are level on points with Emery's Villa so what's the difference.
Well - we won't win our game in hand which is away to Chelsea because we never win there. We also have games against Arsenal, Liverpool and City to come. If Ange doesn't adapt the formation/tactics in those games and we know he won't then we will lose those games as well - and we will lose them handsomely because one thing that Arteta/Klopp and Pep will do is set their teams up to expose our obvious weaknesses.
I would be more concerned about Newcastle overtaking us than fooling ourselves into thinking we can catch Villa.

Comparison with past seasons (first 32 matches)​

flag
Tottenham's record after 32 matches in the same league/division
GP​
W​
D​
L​
GF​
GA​
Pts *​
Comparison​
2023-2024
32​
18​
6​
8​
65​
49​
-​
2022-2023
32​
16​
5​
11​
58​
51​
+7 pts​
2021-2022
32​
18​
3​
11​
56​
38​
+3 pts​
2020-2021
32​
14​
8​
10​
54​
37​
+10 pts​
2019-2020
32​
12​
9​
11​
51​
44​
+15 pts​
If the above isn’t progress , I.m not sure what is .

Also , this is the first season in the last five that we have had a coach for a complete season .
For that, I raises me 'at to ya Walt. But do me a favour; break that 32 games down to progressive quarters and show me at which quarter the 60 points came from, cause I don't think they've been coming lately. That might show an interesting trend.
I'd do it meself but don't have the nous.

For that, I raises me 'at to ya Walt. But do me a favour; break that 32 games down to progressive quarters and show me at which quarter the 60 points came from, cause I don't think they've been coming lately. That might show an interesting trend.
I'd do it meself but don't have the nous.
games 1 to 8 - 20 pts
games 9 to 16 - 10 pts
games 17 to 24 - 17 pts
games 25 to 32 - 13 pts

Well - we won't win our game in hand which is away to Chelsea because we never win there. We also have games against Arsenal, Liverpool and City to come. If Ange doesn't adapt the formation/tactics in those games and we know he won't then we will lose those games as well - and we will lose them handsomely because one thing that Arteta/Klopp and Pep will do is set their teams up to expose our obvious weaknesses.
I would be more concerned about Newcastle overtaking us than fooling ourselves into thinking we can catch Villa.
All fair points HH mate but we are such a Jeckyl and Hide team whose to say we won't get at least 5 points from those 3 huge games,we could possibly. Also I was thinking the same about Newcastle,don't think it will happen but you never know.

What worries me over this kind of performance; is it player/team reaction to how they are being asked to play? They all come out and say Ange is great to play for but then you expect that, they are not going to come out and criticise him publicly.

All fair points HH mate but we are such a Jeckyl and Hide team whose to say we won't get at least 5 points from those 3 huge games,we could possibly. Also I was thinking the same about Newcastle,don't think it will happen but you never know.
You are right Vinnie - you never know with spurs. Here's hoping!

When all is said and done, it was hugely disappointing performance.

And the measure of the coaches now, is to get almost the whole under performing team to respond.

Do that, and this whole sorry mess goes away, fail badly again and the end of this season will be a shit fest.
Great point. Right now - it could get quite toxic very quickly. We have seen it before. There were boos at half time on Saturday. One big performance against Arsenal and it could turn in our favour again. I am not optimistic but you never know.

For me it's the Premiership, you just can't predict 'any' outcome.
Who saw this, weekend:
Villa to beat Arse
Palace to beat Liverpool (away)
Bournemouth to beat Manure
Even Fulham to beat the Hammers
Re our result, if you go back over the last 9 games against Newcastle 3 wins, 3 losses, 3 draws. So away from home certainly wasn't a gimme, and that 'slip' did cost us big style.
We lost impetus after that 2 minute brain (team) fart and just couldn't get it back, Yup we did need something more creative up front. In short Newcastle beating us at home isn't a big shocker.
There is still work to do, and indeed we can get something from our 'Big games' as SP says we good as easily pull a rabbit out of the hat, as get a spanking.
And as has been shown were pretty much better in points this, season than in the previous 4,and our worst period was around Christmas.
But there is, work to do and more on field decisive play needs to happen, and indeed personnel changes (substitutions) need to happen quicker.

games 1 to 8 - 20 pts
games 9 to 16 - 10 pts
games 17 to 24 - 17 pts
games 25 to 32 - 13 pts
Thanks TQ2, that was quick!
Quarter 1-8 (1/3 of total) is when we took them by surprise, followed by a steep decline, supposedly when coaches woke-up, but that sharp recovery in quarter 17-24 is interesting.
Now for a bit further analysis we need to see who we played in quarters 1-8 and 17-24 combined, compared to quarters 9-16 and 25-32 combined.
I aint going to do it, first 'cause I don't have the nous and second I drove a total 715.1 km today (5hrs each way) and I'm off to bed - night all....

Emery also has Villa playing a high line and they've conceded 49 goals this season - the same as us. Different system but same end result.

Emery lasted less than 18 months at Arsenal. He was absolutely pilloried for his tactical naivety and tinkering even though he had been a serial winner previously. I didn't agree the with the Gooner fans then but it shows the futilty of making such quick judgements.

I'll bet if Emery had been available to us when we signed Ange not too many Spurs fans would have been impressed.

Eddie Howe has won endless plaudits for his coaching and tactical skiils at Newcastle yet they've conceded 53 goals this season. In fact, every team below us other than Everton has conceded the same or more goals than us. And that includes respected and courted coaches such as EtH, de zerbi, Moyes, Poch etc.

Let's give our 'deluded dreamer' time to reflect on this season and find solutions to the problems. And maybe even be appreciative that we're still in with a strong shout of a Champions League place at this late stage in the season. Very few predicted we would be at the start of the season.

Gary no issues with anything you say....

The only problem is that none of these teams including us will win anything conceding those amounts of goals.

Quarter 1-8 (1/3 of total) is when we took them by surprise, followed by a steep decline, supposedly when coaches woke-up, but that sharp recovery in quarter 17-24 is interesting.
Now for a bit further analysis we need to see who we played in quarters 1-8 and 17-24 combined, compared to quarters 9-16 and 25-32 combined.
I aint going to do it, first 'cause I don't have the nous and second I drove a total 715.1 km today (5hrs each way) and I'm off to bed - night all....
I think the second quarter (9-16) was when we had all of the injuries to Maddison, Bentancur and other important players.

I think the second quarter (9-16) was when we had all of the injuries to Maddison, Bentancur and other important players.
Yes TQ2, yr right, didn't dawn on me. Let's put that aside and regardless, we see a progressive decline from a very promising start. Which has been identified and commented on by most on this site.

Yes TQ2, yr right, didn't dawn on me. Let's put that aside and regardless, we see a progressive decline from a very promising start. Which has been identified and commented on by most on this site.
I wouldn't disagree with that, I'm beginning to wonder whether these players are in tune with Ange's philosophy.

The poorer showing in the second quarter was a result of the Chelsea game, suspensions, and significant long-term injuries to key players. It was impossible to deal with. We still have not quite recovered.