Brad’s interview | Page 4 | Vital Football

Brad’s interview

Why should they mention Hess. He is head of recruitment reporting to KJ, when they talk of recruitment obviously that includes Hess.

In theory, perhaps.

But I suspect he's going to end up 'not being stopped' from taking a managerial role somewhere else in the summer.

A lot of reading in between the lines needed.

In theory, perhaps.

But I suspect he's going to end up 'not being stopped' from taking a managerial role somewhere else in the summer.

A lot of reading in between the lines needed.
Not really, they were talking in some detail about recruitment for next season, and Kenny Jackett was mentioned a lot in terms of him reporting to Joe, (who is now in charge of the football side of the club as well), but Hess not at all.
As he is meant to be “Head of Recruitment” I thought that was a bit strange.
I guess I could be reading too much into that, but going forwards my suspicion is he will leave the club this summer, or at best just have a minor scouting type role perhaps alongside another position elsewhere.

Not really, they were talking in some detail about recruitment for next season, and Kenny Jackett was mentioned a lot in terms of him reporting to Joe, (who is now in charge of the football side of the club as well), but Hess not at all.
As he is meant to be “Head of Recruitment” I thought that was a bit strange.
I guess I could be reading too much into that, but going forwards my suspicion is he will leave the club this summer, or at best just have a minor scouting type role perhaps alongside another position elsewhere.

Hess reports to KJ. Joe Comper coming in above KJ doesn’t change that.

Look up the roles on the club website. Scally is one of 3 directors, he still owns around 30% of the club.

Im not sure what point you are making. Comper is more senior to scally is the point i am making and i suspect joe has zero shares.

The MD is generally one of the most powerful roles in any organisation.

Im not sure what point you are making. Comper is more senior to scally is the point i am making ........

And you're wrong. A Managing Director reports to the Board of Directors, which in the case of GFC comprise the Galinsons and PDPS.

It does seem however that Brad considers Joe Comper reports directly to him, which implies that, beyond any consultancy work he might do, PDPS isn't now involved in anything to do with the running of the club.

This is of course exactly what PDPS wanted to happen when he stepped back before the Galinson takeover. Joe Comper has now fully taken over the role that Paul Fisher had.

The MD has overall responsibility for day to day running of the club BUT reports to the board which in our case are the majority shareholders including PS
Whilst I do believe the Galinson’s would ask for PDPS’s advice, they are not obliged to take it. Comper is now senior to him and in charge of decisions that Scally can’t over rule.

Whilst I do believe the Galinson’s would ask for PDPS’s advice, they are not obliged to take it. Comper is now senior to him and in charge of decisions that Scally can’t over rule.

Whilst it's not uncommon for the Managing Director to report directly to the Chairman it's not true to say that the MD is senior to a Main Board Director.

Joe Comper has been given responsibility to make all day-to-day decisions with regard to GFC. Mr Scally probably can't over-rule them but if Joe 'cksup he's answerable to Brad, Shannon and PDPS.

Whilst it's not uncommon for the Managing Director to report directly to the Chairman it's not true to say that the MD is senior to a Main Board Director.

Joe Comper has been given responsibility to make all day-to-day decisions with regard to GFC. Mr Scally probably can't over-rule them but if Joe 'cksup he's answerable to Brad, Shannon and PDPS.
He’s answerable to Brad and Shannon ultimately. Scally isn’t in a position to over-rule them.

I dunno why so many are banging on about the level of control that Scally has or doesn’t have.
Scally clearly said when selling that he was content to stand down and it was the new owners who wanted him to remain and utilise his experience.
I’d imagine that now Joe is promoted to MD, running the daily business, he’s delighted to take a back seat.
He’s pushing 70 now.

Scally clearly said when selling that he was content to stand down and it was the new owners who wanted him to remain and utilise his experience.
I’d imagine that now Joe is promoted to MD, running the daily business, he’s delighted to take a back seat.
He’s pushing 70 now.

FFS, stop banging on about it.

I dunno why so many are banging on about the level of control that Scally has or doesn’t have.
He’s pushing 70 now.
Kind of my reading of the situation.

However, I'm not sure if PDPS is "delighted" to take a "back seat" to Joe. I think that Brad's extended presence in the UK was more about getting the right people in the right positions. Brad's obviously picked Joe as the man to run the GFC part of his empire and make the necessary decisions.

Can't see that Paul's presence in the club is actually needed any more. All this talk of his "experience" being needed by Joe is imho b*ll*cks. The club was failing under him, primarily in my opinion due to him hanging on for too long when he'd "lost it". It happens to us all and there comes a time when you have to hand over the reins to someone younger. The wise know when to do this and step away. Totally step away.

Joe is his own man and should be allowed to get on with it. If he needs advice, he's got Brad who seems to be quite good at building businesses. And don't forget Shannon either. She's a smart cookie too.

Kind of my reading of the situation.

However, I'm not sure if PDPS is "delighted" to take a "back seat" to Joe. I think that Brad's extended presence in the UK was more about getting the right people in the right positions. Brad's obviously picked Joe as the man to run the GFC part of his empire and make the necessary decisions.

Can't see that Paul's presence in the club is actually needed any more. All this talk of his "experience" being needed by Joe is imho b*ll*cks. The club was failing under him, primarily in my opinion due to him hanging on for too long when he'd "lost it". It happens to us all and there comes a time when you have to hand over the reins to someone younger. The wise know when to do this and step away. Totally step away.

Joe is his own man and should be allowed to get on with it. If he needs advice, he's got Brad who seems to be quite good at building businesses. And don't forget Shannon either. She's a smart cookie too.
Agree with all of that.
It’s just my opinion but I think that the amount of abuse that Scally got from a small section of our fans contributed to his obvious lack of interest near the end.
They would probably argue that that was exactly the point, but we all know that it got extremely personal. If I put myself in his position, I’d have probably just wrapped it up.
That’s all under the bridge now, but I’d wager that he’s chuffed to be out of the firing line.
I wonder how long before some turn on the Gallinsons.
Probably next season if we don’t get a good start.
There will be some calling for Clem to go if we don’t make the playoffs and then with Scally gone, Harris gone, Clem gone, the next target is ………

Agree with all of that.
It’s just my opinion but I think that the amount of abuse that Scally got from a small section of our fans contributed to his obvious lack of interest near the end.
They would probably argue that that was exactly the point, but we all know that it got extremely personal. If I put myself in his position, I’d have probably just wrapped it up.
That’s all under the bridge now, but I’d wager that he’s chuffed to be out of the firing line.
I wonder how long before some turn on the Gallinsons.
Probably next season if we don’t get a good start.
There will be some calling for Clem to go if we don’t make the playoffs and then with Scally gone, Harris gone, Clem gone, the next target is ………
I don't think there was a big ground swell calling for Harris to go, at least at the time he did, and I don't think there is a big ground swell calling for Clem to go now.

However, I do think there was a much bigger and wider call for PS to go, although most were decent fans who would not go to the lengths Perry's mob did to make it happen.

The average for managers to stick around is about a season and a half (when you are rid of them anyway) and their contracts are usually no more than 3 years rather than an open ended 27 years, with no apparent finish in sight, until suddenly there was.

I really can't see the support turning on the Galinsons as we now have proper two way communication, and a properly run organisation of approachable individuals. As someone else mentioned, they see themselves as custodians on behalf of the fans which is still pretty refreshing.

Last edited: