🚹 Brennan Johnson - Player Thread | Page 8 | Vital Football

🚹 Brennan Johnson - Player Thread

Would love to know on what basis you don't see Son as a starter? He's had a few games where he's not looked his best, but at other times he looked like he'd be challenging for the golden boot if Madders had stayed fit.

I'm more worried how we replace him long term. He's 2nd to Messi for outperforming his xG in world football. Know peoples eyes glaze over when those stats are quoted, but put another way he's totally irreplaceable if we want someone to score goals against the odds on a consistent basis. Even Kane didn't come close to Son's numbers on this front, and he was 4th best in the world last I checked.

There's 2 or 3 reasons why there is a case for Son to be on the bench

1) There have been a few games where fans (including me) have been left scratching our heads why he's been left on the pitch after the hour mark. He's been totally ineffectve. In that next game, he's of course back in the starting line-up. When we have our full quota of forwards available, that's a reason for benching him and showing the rest of the squad there is a meritocracy.

2) Tactically - in some games (mostly away) we need Richi's qualities as a number 9. That means Sonny needs to be in one of the channels and we have 5 others who can play there. As he advances in years, Sonny doesn't always want to be in the wide spaces especially with the full-backs attacking the inside space he occupies. We might be better off with him coming off the bench.

3) Asia Cup - like any injured player, it's not their fault that they miss 4 or 5 games. Quite simply, if the other lads are doing the business then you wait your turn and you sit on the bench.

No doubt in my mind that Sonny's still the best finisher at the club. That means that you introduce risk by not having him in the starting eleven. However, with 5 subs and 6 fit players we can get back into a mindset that is absolutely different from what we've been used to so far. All players need to be performing at the highest level to stay in the side.

he's still got a lot of improvement room in his game as well..
I never understood the grief he was getting. He was contributing whilst not playing at his best and new to everything. The team was having a bit of a struggle and he also got that bad head gash. But still he showed at every opportunity.

The lad has everything it takes to be a top player for us and if thats what he produces whilst finding his feet and the team is struggling, well lets see what happens.

Finally, he has shown to me that he is coachable. His goals and his assists look to me to be the result of training ground work. Thats very important and will make Ange much more likely to trust him.

I never understood the grief he was getting. He was contributing whilst not playing at his best and new to everything. The team was having a bit of a struggle and he also got that bad head gash. But still he showed at every opportunity.

The lad has everything it takes to be a top player for us and if thats what he produces whilst finding his feet and the team is struggling, well lets see what happens.

Finally, he has shown to me that he is coachable. His goals and his assists look to me to be the result of training ground work. Thats very important and will make Ange much more likely to trust him.
@RichmondSpur simply believed he wasn't good enough, you'll find his posts here and a few concurred - but of course what was entirely unforgivable is after just two below par games our 'own' supporters piled into him on his social media, forcing him to stop using it.

@RichmondSpur simply believed he wasn't good enough, you'll find his posts here and a few concurred - but of course what was entirely unforgivable is after just two below par games our 'own' supporters piled into him on his social media, forcing him to stop using it.
Its a long time since i have read his drivel tbh. Better left that way as you have just demonstrated

Gotta be honest I didn't think he was good enough and I'm still not convinced he will be. That said I watched the highlights of the palace game and his run, tackle, fight for the ball before crossing for Werner was exactly what I would expect and well done to the guy. If he continued in that vein my mind can be changed...and of course I hope it will be!

A goal contribution in every other game, not a bad return so far for a very young prospect!

It's so amazing having depth in the attacking areas. So many years of just having Kane and Son with others like Moura struggling. The current lot really have to stay on top of their game to keep the shirt. They're all contributing.

Brennan is getting his Forest swagger back in my opinion. He was the talisman there and you can see him growing into being comfortable in our shirt. He is now demanding the ball.

I also read a stat today that Porro is on track to have double figure assists from full-back this season.

I like the way he piled into McGinn after the tackle.on Destiny.
No fear.
He's a good lad. Hope he doesn't suffer under Ange's regime like some seem to have done.

Yeah I saw that as well...that is what we want to see!!

This over and over again. The last point more than ever. He is showing that he is listening to the coaching and responding with it in matches. His game was as much about where/how Ange and the coaches asked him to play as it was about how he performed it. He simply does as he is told and does it with a smile on his face. He will get better too

It's so amazing having depth in the attacking areas. So many years of just having Kane and Son with others like Moura struggling. The current lot really have to stay on top of their game to keep the shirt. They're all contributing.

Brennan is getting his Forest swagger back in my opinion. He was the talisman there and you can see him growing into being comfortable in our shirt. He is now demanding the ball.

I also read a stat today that Porro is on track to have double figure assists from full-back this season.
Strength in depth, all of it top class.

No comparison, but United always had amazing depth.

Rooney, Tevez, Ronaldo with options of Nani, Wellbeck, Saha.