đźšą Brennan Johnson - Player Thread | Vital Football

đźšą Brennan Johnson - Player Thread

muttley

Alert Team
Welcome Brennan Johnson

So whatever we felt about our inability to get surplus players off the books, yesterday was another day when our club put more investment into another young and talented player for the long term. Brennan Johnson has been a name that our posters have often mentioned as a player that we should be bringing in to add more flair and pace into our attack. We landed our man.

Brennan’s career started in Dunkirk. No, not that one. Dunkirk FC is in a residential area of Nottingham and that is where, as an 8-year-old, Nottingham Forest spotted his talents and brought him into their setup. He is son of David Johnson, the diminutive striker that played for Forest from 2001-2006 as well as Bury and Ipswich. David chalked up 465 games in his own career and was born in Kingston, Jamaica. He has been huge motivation in his son’s career as he made his way through the youth setup into the a Forest side that gained promotion back into the top flight.

Along the way, Brennan had a loan with Lincoln City where he made 40 appearances and scored 10 goals. It wasn't too long before he became a player on everyone's lips after Forest were promoted with Brennan being the EFL Championship Young Player of the Season.

Internationally, Brennan was eligible to play for England, Wales and Jamaica. He played for England U16s and U17s, before switching to the Welsh setup in 2018. He is now a mainstay in the Welsh team.

So what do Spurs get with Brennan in our squad?

It’s hard to know exactly how Ange will utilise Brennan. He has pace, he is 2-footed and he has an eye for goal. He’s not really been utilised on the left but has spent plenty of time in the right channel and through the centre. He has got through his first 150 senior games and has around 45 goals with one Premier League season behind him. I would say at 22 years old, that means he has a lot of tools to work with. What you also read online is stories of him being a quietly spoken, humble person. His arrogance is on the pitch, not off it, which seems a good fit. I have a feeling this is going to be one of those fantastic signings for Ange.

So welcome Brennan Johnson to Spurs….we’re thrilled to have you on board.

I like the look of the lad. Chuck him straight in I say.

For Kulu or Richi?

I think we have to consider the amount of times where balls are played into that right channel and we see Kulu check and cut back. We would now have a speedster that would be 20 yards further upfield in a blink of an eye, and on his natural foot.

If it's central, it would definitely be different type of striker than Richi.

For Kulu or Richi?

I think we have to consider the amount of times where balls are played into that right channel and we see Kulu check and cut back. We would now have a speedster that would be 20 yards further upfield in a blink of an eye, and on his natural foot.

I would like to see Kulu on the left. Him checking back onto his left peg is getting a very obvious trait.

Let all 3 inter change with each other. Could be a fun watch.

I like Brennan but not for 50 million. Football is a numbers game and scoring 8 epl goals and getting 3 assists doesn't add up to 50 million. We pay 40 million for Maddison which now looks like a bargain. I think Nottingham forest must be laughing we give them nearly 50 million and they pay 3million for Callum.

I like Brennan but not for 50 million. Football is a numbers game and scoring 8 epl goals and getting 3 assists doesn't add up to 50 million. We pay 40 million for Maddison which now looks like a bargain. I think Nottingham forest must be laughing we give them nearly 50 million and they pay 3million for Callum.

You surely pay for the potential, not the past? We obviously paid the homegrown tax as well.

I know when I watched Spurs vs Forest at WHL last season, the game was quite attritional. Forest weren't setup for a player like Johnson, but Gibbs White was the handful.

Have a feeling that Ange's system will expose just how good Brennan is because it is perfect for him. We then get to find out his ceiling.

He's not a ÂŁ50m player, then again neither is Cole Palmer.

Probably paid a little over the odds for him but the important thing is we got him .

For Kulu or Richi?

Play him instead of Kulusevski, use his pace to get us up the pitch, draw defenders away from the centre and give Richi a better chance to get on the end of crosses.

It's unlikely he signed in time to play today so he'll get at least a week to settle in.

Just remembered it's the International break for the next 2 weeks so I guess he'll be away with Wales.

A snippet of what a scouting / skills report says about him, it's much more comprehensive than this, (about 5 more pages worth!): but this was the bit that stuck out:

"Johnson played all along the front line at Forest at one point or another, often on the wing and sometimes as the main central striker, although that was often a thankless task.

His best work probably came on the right of two strikers, but for a lot of that time Forest played with split strikers, making room for Gibbs-White in the No 10 role, so he played a little wider than you might expect from a normal front two.

In terms of his actual position on the pitch it’s probably roughly similar to where the right-sided forward in Postecoglu’s 4-3-3 would line up.

There are certainly elements of his game that still need work — he’s not the most technical player; he beats defenders not with flicks and tricks but with his pace. And his finishing needs some improvement. His goalscoring record is good for a young player mostly playing out wide, but sometimes his shots can lack a bit of power.

It’s Johnson’s ability to step up his levels in quality year after year that will excite Postecoglou.

He evolved during last season, starting Premier League life a bit like a rabbit in the headlights with his technical limitations exposed, but he gradually found new ways to make himself threatening and trouble defenders. Of his eight goals last year, seven were the difference between draws/losses or wins/draws.

Johnson has been an absolutely colossal part of what Cooper’s Forest side have done in the last couple of seasons. Postecoglou will now hope the same can be said of Johnson in his Spurs team over the next couple of years..."