🚹 Brennan Johnson - Player Thread | Page 6 | Vital Football

🚹 Brennan Johnson - Player Thread

Our tactical domination also worked for three of the four games in our 'awful run' of results; what let us down was madness in one game and incompetence of forwards for two of the others. Ange has also commented that we need to be better and more clinical with our finishing. Johnson, thus far, is working from too low of a baseline skill level; it is adding too much onus onto our other attackers. I agree with Total that he won't be a starter when everyone is fit.
As I also said sometime ago. The difference is, I haven't wrote him off.

Last edited:
I still argue in his (BJ's) favour.
Is he the finished article (No)
Did we pay too much for him (yes)
However, I still maintain that he Johnson had a lot on his shoulders, for me, being introduced very early into a much weakened team due to injuries etc...
He still has to play with our best 11 on the pitch and perhaps with Biss(Sarr), Bents, Maddison behind him we may see a better end product.
For me there is still more to come from this young player, maybe not a Bale or Moderic, but certainly a very good player...

Because it is nonsensical to do so at this point. Anyone can see he is far from the finished article, but to write him off so soon and based on such little evidence is impatient and silly.

It's also important to factor in that he didn't have a pre-season with Ange, so it makes sense that he is struggling to match the fitness levels of those who did. Plus, he is clearly holding back from using that hamstring properly.

He absolutely destroyed Gvardiol in the Man City game when he took a cross field ball into his path. His pace was frightening in that moment and his cross was good, not perfect, but Dias had to defend well to stop it.

I'm finding that the biggest issue with the perception of Brennan is he is getting compared to Bale because of the Welsh connection. That really isn't fair. Bale was beyond special and can easily be categorised with the likes of Ronaldo and Messi in terms of ability. Brennan is a completely different type of player.
In the same match, when he switched to the other side later in the game he had the beating of Walker. It was a swift turn of pace and brilliant cross that led to Kulu's equaliser.

I think it's the transfer fee that's hurting him most. If we signed him for say, £15m, on the basis that he has bags of potential but he's not yet the finished article, he'd probably be given a bit more latitude. But unfortunately for him we paid a similar fee to Maddison and VdV but with significantly different outcomes.

There's a similarity here to how Richarlison was treated by some in his first year. Had we signed him for half the fee we paid he probably wouldn't have been on the receiving end of the criticisms that he had to endure.

In both cases the players had nothing to do with the transfer fees that were agreed. But unfortunately for both they have to live with the consequences.

I still argue in his (BJ's) favour.
Is he the finished article (No)
Did we pay too much for him (yes)
However, I still maintain that he Johnson had a lot on his shoulders, for me, being introduced very early into a much weakened team due to injuries etc...
He still has to play with our best 11 on the pitch and perhaps with Biss(Sarr), Bents, Maddison behind him we may see a better end product.
For me there is still more to come from this young player, maybe not a Bale or Moderic, but certainly a very good player...
What does having the four players mentioned have to do with improving his end product? Johnson has to do that himself. If his incompetence persists, how does he take advantage of game situations given to him?

We know who Rich's new Lamela is anyway. He has been gagging for one for years.🤣

Do you know i had him on block in the later Lamela period because it just got infuriating. I took him off block when Lamela left and even enjoyed some of his insights into the youth players etc. Unfortunately i am putting him back on block otherwise i the place becomes toxic.

To be fair, I don't think Rich is writing him off yet from what I've read. He's just saying that he has a lot of improving to do. Which I don't think is too different to a lot of posters on here, just without the same optimism of him reaching those required levels

To be fair, I don't think Rich is writing him off yet from what I've read. He's just saying that he has a lot of improving to do. Which I don't think is too different to a lot of posters on here, just without the same optimism of him reaching those required levels
No, I'm afraid most of his observations are around him not having the requisite skills to be the player some here hope he can become, so if you read all his comments about him, it all adds up to him writing him off - only time will tell if he's being premature.

What does having the four players mentioned have to do with improving his end product? Johnson has to do that himself. If his incompetence persists, how does he take advantage of game situations given to him?
In fairness to RD, if you don't know now, you'll never know, so it's a moot conversation. Just do us all a favour and not turn every other post you make about him on every other thread that's a different subject, about him.

Make all the comments about his ratings or lack of, you like about him on the ratings thread or on his own thread, or of course on the match thread, do that and you won't look like you're being obsessive (which was the constant criticism of your focus on Lamela)!

:tophat:

Last edited:
Exactly.

No, I'm afraid most of his observations are around him not having the requisite skills to be the player some here hope he can become, so if you read all his comments about him, it all adds up to him writing him off - only time will tell if he's being premature.
That's you're wrong interpretation.

Unless I've missed something I haven't seen anyone writing him off. I see people having different opinions on his effectiveness.....But that's the same with virtually all players. I doubt there has ever been a spurs player that every supporter hasn't wanted to be a massive player for us....some are, most become debatable first team or squad players, Johnon IMO is one of them. I've seen him make some great crosses, but mostly for me he just seems to hit the ball toward the middle rather than picking someone out. He may turn into a great player for us, or he may become another Lamela (who I backed) and give us fleeting moments of brilliance, but ultimately never became what I hoped . Time will tell.

Maybe it's me
But to have a better midfield, for me, obviously gives a player better options to pass to and make runs for.
I've seen him put quite a few decent balls in, with no one there to react, better players like those mentioned may lead to better passing options.
I just don't get the speed at which he's being dismissed here as, a poor player.

Maybe it's me
But to have a better midfield, for me, obviously gives a player better options to pass to and make runs for.
I've seen him put quite a few decent balls in, with no one there to react, better players like those mentioned may lead to better passing options.
I just don't get the speed at which he's being dismissed here as, a poor player.
Your original point was those missing players would improve his end-product, now you make it about movement of the ball. They are two separate things.

Actually it's not.
It's about having better options to play the ball to.
That's the end product.
Better options to play the ball to is a stepping stone to good decision-making and end product. Johnson, for much of the time, fails at making the right decision and the end product of finishing.