The Official Walsall Match Thread (Sponsored by Jorge Leguín Cabezas Hurtado "for all your gol.gol gol gol gol gol gol needs") | Page 12 | Vital Football

The Official Walsall Match Thread (Sponsored by Jorge Leguín Cabezas Hurtado "for all your gol.gol gol gol gol gol gol needs")

So, so disappointed with today.
Following the changes in personnel coupled with (on paper) one of the less difficult February games, I was hoping for a bit of a statement of intent performance today. I suppose we did get that to a degree, but not the statement we were all hoping for.

I’ve watched football (and the gills) for long enough to know that no team has a god given right to win a game. But following the early season hype, then change of management to fit with the long term plan, quotes of “we know what’s wrong”, “we know what’s needed to fix it” around Xmas,, etc, the shuffling of the up front options, I must admit to feeling fucking mugged off today.

That first half was potentially the most turgid game id seen for years. It was such a painful, boring watch. Others have stated that watching football is supposed to be entertainment, I would offer that my last dental appointment was more entertaining than that first half. We appeared to offer nothing. Absolutely nothing going forward. Yet my mate at half time said thier keeper had been the busiest.possibly so, yet the game was still Walsall keeping the ball better, using the ball better, showing more desire both on and off the ball, finding spaces, creating plays. I have said it before and I’ll say it again, WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK DO WE DO IN TRAINING!?!?

Those that are moaning at JT to release the ball quicker, who the hell is he supposed to give it to if all 10 outfield players are standing like fucking statues and unwilling to receive it? The one time he DID sling it to (the again ineffective) malone, within seconds he had 3 Walsall on him, closing him down and surprise, we lost the ball.

We have all said it time and time again. Everything is so slow, going through the motions, and so fucking frustrating. We’ve now had 3 managers try and get some urgency throughout this lot and I’m fucked off with seeing the same spineless bollocks week after week. It’s pathetic. Unfortunately this even transfered to the crowd today.The atmosphere was dire. The right side did try and get stuff going (fair play), but I and 2000 others thought “why fucking bother. These arseholes certainly aren’t...”

Second half and the same shit til 60 mins, the subs, the slight upping of tempo, the seemingly customary balls up from SO and were 1 down.

I enjoyed the “leave one up” chant. Reminded me of the turgid PT era, in more ways than 1.

The Colombian at least added some excitement. Although I agree with others that he could’ve laid off passes to team mates that were better placed. In his defence he probably thought “I’d rather have a dig myself than give it to you to fucking waste it”

3 of our next 4 - Notts county, Swindon, Wrexham. I think by the end of feb we will know if we have a chance of playoffs or not. If my money was going anywhere, it would be us finishing 12. And not bothering top 7 agin from now til next season. ☹️
That was a top class rant. I enjoyed it. Thank you. Nailed it.

I wish the Gills could entertain me a fraction as well as that.

I am sorry the ref set the tone.It seem stupid that with all these time wasting laws and bookings that there is as much as there always has been .The crowd didn't help our new lads.The problem is more Harris's senior players .There might be a argument for slapping various contracted senior players on the transfer list in June.
Turner will have more distribution opportunities when a few of our younger recruits get more minutes.Hawkins is not a easy target for a keeper as he is not mobile enough crowd him and even if the kick is accurate the second ball is probably unlikely as he is genuinely being held by at least two players.
The ref wasted as much time as any player. In injury time he thought it was sensible to lecture Dieng before booking him. What was he saying “Look son, if you do anything like that in the remaining 2 minutes of injury time you’re at serious risk of getting sent off.” Even after that he found it necessary to lecture a Walsall player for another 30 seconds.

Turner is frustrating. It’s not as if he was looking for a player to throw out too. He seemed always to be looking for the long ball but delayed and delayed it until the whole Walsall back line was back in place. Either give the ball quickly to one of the defenders who are always available or release quickly in the direction of Hawkins. There’s now a speedier player who could play off his shoulder. But it’ll never work if you wait for ever as Turner does. I don’t understand the wait.

I'm starting to get a bit irritated by Clemence post match comments. Same thing every week . He's frustrated the players are frustrated the fans are frustrated. Not one reporter asks him what he's going to do about it or how is he going to fix it.

I'm starting to get a bit irritated by Clemence post match comments. Same thing every week . He's frustrated the players are frustrated the fans are frustrated. Not one reporter asks him what he's going to do about it or how is he going to fix it.

What would you expect he’s going to say? It’s decent that he’s saying “we were poor”, “didn’t deserve to win”. All we heard from Harris and Evans was “we were the better team”, “we were robbed”, “refs fault” even tho that was plainly bullsh!t.

And if asked what he’s going to do to fix it, it would be the bog standard “we’ll work hard on the training ground and go again”. Exactly the same as NH said, and SE said, and Lovell and every other manager in the league says.

The ones who go “off course” and start blaming the players, the budget, the pitch, the ref, whatever, are the ones very close to being removed.

What would you expect he’s going to say? It’s decent that he’s saying “we were poor”, “didn’t deserve to win”. All we heard from Harris and Evans was “we were the better team”, “we were robbed”, “refs fault” even tho that was plainly bullsh!t.

And if asked what he’s going to do to fix it, it would be the bog standard “we’ll work hard on the training ground and go again”. Exactly the same as NH said, and SE said, and Lovell and every other manager in the league says.

The ones who go “off course” and start blaming the players, the budget, the pitch, the ref, whatever, are the ones very close to being removed.
Yeah I know I'm just bloody fed up and frustrated at getting up at stupid o'clock watching a load of dross and feeling tired and irritable for the rest of the day. I'll get over it and I'll be there next week

Actually, I seem to recall Harris expressing frustration at and with the team - no individuals mentioned - after one of his last games, much the way Clemence is doing, and getting lambasted for it. Manager needs to take responsibility, blah, blah.

If this carries on maybe we are following the same path and BG will have to find yet another direction.

Tbh I couldn't actually give a fuck about what they do In training, it's more about what they do on a matchday. If they're not doing it on a matchday, that probably answers the question on the training.

If they do less on the training ground then they do on a matchday then god help us. Every matchday we just lack so much energy, tempo, desire, a willingness to run, urgency, intent and application to making something happen let alone quality or patterns on play or god forbid, a bit of "off the cuff" skill. Most weeks, no matter who we play they do all of the above better than we do, it's depressing.

They're the basics of being successful. This bunch of players just look unwilling or incapable (under 3 different managers) to do the above basics.

We're stuck with this group of players until the summer and I don't see it changing with this group.

Maybe it's modern day coaches who let players do what they want and continually turn in performances like we have. Brad wanted a "player first" approach when he got rid of NH. He's clearly got that as they do (or dont) the basics when hey want. I wonder what an old school manager/coach (Warnock, Evans type) would give to our current effort.

Failed to score in the first half of the last 11 league games.

Most of this group need fucking off in the summer.

Actually, I seem to recall Harris expressing frustration at and with the team - no individuals mentioned - after one of his last games, much the way Clemence is doing, and getting lambasted for it. Manager needs to take responsibility, blah, blah.

If this carries on maybe we are following the same path and BG will have to find yet another direction.

I can’t see BG getting rid of Clem before the summer, maybe not until we are well into next season (if it’s still not working).

Buf, although I didn’t mind the change from NH, I was gobsmacked when it happened. Very abrupt and it seems purely on entertainment grounds. So you never know.

Maybe it's modern day coaches who let players do what they want and continually turn in performances like we have. Brad wanted a "player first" approach when he got rid of NH. He's clearly got that as they do (or dont) the basics when hey want. I wonder what an old school manager/coach (Warnock, Evans type) would give to our current effort.

Failed to score in the first half of the last 11 league games.

Most of this group need fucking off in the summer.
If SC wanted dominating possession football or "taking care of the ball", they are not even doing that.

49% possession at home yesterday, 32% at MK last week. Even against FGR we only had 56%

......... Don't think anyone was absolutely appalling and neither did anyone look to pick the game up by the scruff and get us going. 5s and 6s all round.

I agree

Hutton, Masterson, Ehmer, Hurtado, Hawkins = 6

The rest = 5

I've been critical of Hawkins and don't think he'll get a game once Andrews is fit but yesterday he was my MotM.

It was good to hear the Rainham End back at full volume even if it took a rubbish referee to start them off. However there is no point in getting on Turner's back for his slow kicking out if there is no one to pass to. The problem lies with the tactic of bringing everyone back when under pressure so there is no one to pass to when recycling.
Very disappointed with Clemence so far. I know it will take time to incorporate new players but the team are still clueless and were outplayed yesterday by a team that were quicker in speed of thought and deed for large parts of the game.

Trying to cheer myself up a little, and came across a couple of tweets about Walsall's recent results. And it puts things a little into perspective.

They are probably the form team over the last 2 months. They’ve only lost 2 of their last 11 (one of them away at Stockport) and have beaten Wrexham, Notts C and Crewe in that time as well as putting 6 past Grimsby.

Maybe they aren’t a “pIss-poor mid-table side”. But our fans (admittedly me included) think we should be steamrolling them 🤷‍♂️

There are always 2 teams out there, and maybe we should give them a little more credit for being confident, on their game and making things tough for us.

I don't think it was as bad as some on here are making out. The 1st half was pretty boring from both sides agreed.
But I thought in the 2nd half once we equalised, there was only one team gonna win and that was us.
Ogie had a mare, had he not given away the avoidable penalty and scored a miss of the season contender from 2 yards out we'd have won 2-0.
I thought Walker really put himself about and impressed me as did Hurato, very exciting. I wonder what megamoney Wrexham fans are saying after losing to Salford, who we beat 3-1.
As has been said, we're only a point off the play-offs, we could only have dreamt of this excitement last year. Keep the faith and COYG

But the Galinsons are the owners who ultimately made the decision to appoint the underperforming coaches so cannot be totally absolved of criticism.
The Gallinsons are clearly smart people, but, since day-one and to this point, they must surely have been totally reliant on advice from the Club`s senior management team.

The tone coming from BG over the past few weeks ago has left me wondering whether GFC had fully intended to secure that elusive key front man on or prior to the deadline, but somehow it didn`t materialise. Andrews may always have been on the cards and would seem to be a promising capture. But, with regard to the other guys that have come in on loan, they could easily have been explored alternate late options. Had Jeffries` untimely injury not occurred who knows how different the day might have panned out.

No criticism from me at all toward the Gallinsons. They are, indeed, our saviours and our future still looks rosy. TBH, I`m kind of resigned to thinking that promotion looks less likely than it did six games into the season, but i`m also pleased that we remain in with a decent chance. Just on the shoulder of the pack is often a good place to be at this time of year. Our forward line needed a change, perhaps our refreshed front line will find some live ammunition.

We have a young Colombian who could yet provide us with some much needed excitement as we aim onward and upward.

The Gallinsons are clearly smart people, but, since day-one and to this point, they must surely have been totally reliant on advice from the Club`s senior management team.

The tone coming from BG over the past few weeks ago has left me wondering whether GFC had fully intended to secure that elusive key front man on or prior to the deadline, but somehow it didn`t materialise. Andrews may always have been on the cards and would seem to be a promising capture. But, with regard to the other guys that have come in on loan, they could easily have been explored alternate late options. Had Jeffries` untimely injury not occurred who knows how different the day might have panned out.

No criticism from me at all toward the Gallinsons. They are, indeed, our saviours and our future still looks rosy. TBH, I`m kind of resigned to thinking that promotion looks less likely than it did six games into the season, but i`m also pleased that we remain in with a decent chance. Just on the shoulder of the pack is often a good place to be at this time of year. Our forward line needed a change, perhaps our refreshed front line will find some live ammunition.

We have a young Colombian who could yet provide us with some much needed excitement as we aim onward and upward.
Our position in the table now is I think very much due to our excellent start to the season which of course was never going to be sustained.

We have a difficult run of games coming up. Allied to our lack of goals the play offs may remain tantalisingly just out of reach.

Failure to achieve promotion will have consequences I feel given that it was the stated objective of this season. Successful business people don't do failure.

Expect the Galinsons will have learnt a huge amount about their new business from what's happened on & off the park this season. And that knowledge will undoubtedly help the club going forward.

As for Hurtado, brief cameo I know but he brought much needed excitement & enjoyment to proceedings Pure chaos! Left me wanting more, a lot more in fact.

Our position in the table now is I think very much due to our excellent start to the season which of course was never going to be sustained.

We have a difficult run of games coming up. Allied to our lack of goals the play offs may remain tantalisingly just out of reach.

Failure to achieve promotion will have consequences I feel given that it was the stated objective of this season. Successful business people don't do failure.

Expect the Galinsons will have learnt a huge amount about their new business from what's happened on & off the park this season. And that knowledge will undoubtedly help the club going forward.

As for Hurtado, brief cameo I know but he brought much needed excitement & enjoyment to proceedings Pure chaos! Left me wanting more, a lot more in fact.
We certainly do, but with the opposition probably considered favourites in those three fixtures, the Gills may well be dangerous underdogs. I fancy us to get a couple of wins.

Agree also about our owners gaining a lot of L2 insight. They are no doubt fast learners. If nothing much changes between now and the end of May, our owners may feel the need to recalculate the value of some of the advice they`ve been given.