The Official Walsall Match Thread (Sponsored by Jorge Leguín Cabezas Hurtado "for all your gol.gol gol gol gol gol gol needs") | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Official Walsall Match Thread (Sponsored by Jorge Leguín Cabezas Hurtado "for all your gol.gol gol gol gol gol gol needs")

That should’ve been a new dawn for SC with new players in and playing at home against an average at best team. Sadly we were poor against an equally poor Walsall team - don’t let the strange Radio Kent commentary convince you otherwise.

We just aren’t clicking and don’t seem to have any spirit and passion. As I pointed out during the match, the penalty was beyond doubt, but there was a clear foul in the build up from Walsall. Why aren’t the team and management going beserk about that? I was! It’s a game we could have easily lost but equally could have won. Let’s take the point, we’re amazingly still in touch with the playoffs in this ultra poor division, so we go on with hope.

In terms of the new players. Where was Andrews? Walker looked more like his record would suggest than the cameo at MK. Doesn’t look the answer at all - maybe better than nadesan, but that’s not saying much. The Colombian lad looks like he’s got a box of tricks, so personally with Nadesan being awful, Walker not impressing, Andrews absent/injured (?!?!), Nelly needs to start - no other option. And to add to that, Hawkins looked like he may be crocked. I pointed out on Thursday that it was an absolute joke that Galinson, with all his bluster, didn’t get that marquee striker in, after failing in the summer. Sadly. It looks like I’m right.
Sadly have to agree with literally everything,just dont get lack no total lack of passion in almost whole team,nothing new by the way,
Said on here before what on earth is Andrew’s deal,know you can’t rely on rumours,but Accy fans,stated maybe out for season,not played since December 9th what’s all that about.
Columbian guy showed more passion in first minute,than rest in first 70 minutes.
We appear to be cutting budget already under Brad,and NO I’m not forgetting what he has done,
Where is Marquee signing,you stated you knew issues months ago and told fans it will be sorted,Really.
I don’t think seen an entertaining performance all season,ok not seen all matches.and that’s why SC was hired was it not.
Turner seems to think he has all day to clear ball every time.
I all but give up after 50 bloody years,

While coaching is important, there is such a thing as over coaching and ruining the spontaneity of some players.
Football is about courage, passion and willingness to win each individual battle.
Under Evans, we had an obvious system.
It was simply get the ball into the box as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Unattractive to the purists but clearly effective.
I’m blowed if I can figure out what Clem is trying to do.

Agree about the coaching, today's methods used by coaches is all regimented and out of a manual. Nothing is off the cuff and as a result it looks rigid and not fluid or free flowing.

Having said that, this group of players, under 3 different coaches have failed to play with any urgency, tempo, desire character and alot of the have basically looked disinterested. That is on them. It shouldn't be a big ask for proffesional footballers to run around in an organised fashion and look interested. Sadly for most of our current lot (there are a few exceptions) it looks beyond most of them.

We've had far less talented squads over the years that were far more likable and enjoyable to watch than this lot, purely because they looked like they gave a shit.

Wow I thought that was dire yet again far too slow when someone is on the ball there’s no movement difficult to understand our game plan
Another Ogie mistake leading to the penalty although he could have won the game
Just very disappointing yet again although I enjoyed watching Hurtado with him anything could happen oh well a few drinks tonight to drown my sorrows can’t see the hibernating giant getting out of league 2 this season

I do think there remains a strange attitude thing. In the first half we hardly won any of the one on one battles with the possible exception of Hawkins in the air and then he probably only won about 50%. People complain about him getting held but he also holds his opponent just as much. The strange thing is that in the second half we won far more of those one on one battles and that was just about the way we played with a bit more intensity. It’s a very annoying habit that repeats itself game after game.

Sorry but I thought we were mostly shit especially first half. Should not be a surprise as we’ve been poor at home to teams lower than us all season.

Midfield was completely overrun, Mahoney doesn’t fit the 5-3-2 formation, Lapslie outnumbered, Coleman just stays back and mops up where he can - never man of match for me (should have been Masterson).

We did slightly better after the second half subs, but Ogie cost us a goal first trying to dribble the ball out instead of hoofing clear, then saving a shot like a keeper. Lucky he wasn’t sent off.

Time to ditch the 5-3-2 for me, also doesn’t suit Malone who hasn’t got the legs to get up and down.
Thought we played far worse than last week v MK Dons, so should be grateful of a point I suppose, for all our new passing style the goal came from a Steve Evans style tactical long throw and also another chance for Ogie blazed over.
Remain unconvinced with Clemence, he’s not getting the best out of the players available.

I do think there remains a strange attitude thing. In the first half we hardly won any of the one on one battles with the possible exception of Hawkins in the air and then he probably only won about 50%. People complain about him getting held but he also holds his opponent just as much. The strange thing is that in the second half we won far more of those one on one battles and that was just about the way we played with a bit more intensity. It’s a very annoying habit that repeats itself game after game.
Thought Hawkins tried hard, but when he did manage to win the headers it usually went to their players.
Ogie will have been picked out by opposition managers for a howler every game, so he will have to change his over-confident attitude.
All-in-all agree with virtually every poster (again).

The issue I see can be summed up as a lack of intensity, a lack of desire from the core of the team. Hutton decided to chase across the width pitch and it brought a roar of support from the crowd. We want to see high intensity football not pass it side ways and back to the keeper.

It starts at the back - Turner is the slowest keeper I have ever seen at restarting play. The crowd were on his back in the first half and that won't help him, but he's not helping himself by slowing it down.

Walsall a midtable table team looked better than us at getting forward. We are so slow.

Hawkins is so one dimensional. Please play him at CB - I think he's a great CB but a goal threat he is not. The war memorial on the lines is more mobile than Hawkins.

Why are we talking about Hurtado ? He did more in 15 mins than that team in the previous 75. He wanted to run, he wanted to shoot. No else did.

Its boring watching Gills and the Galinsons deserve more.

Barring a miracle we will be well out of contention after the Barrow game as I don't see us getting many points in February.

I'm not sure Brad is a patient man, he wants success. I think Clemence is on a slippery slope, he isn't delivering exciting football, goals or wins. I'm not sure he's going to be here next season.

I read a few weeks back that this team was hard to love, I thought that was harsh - you know what - I'm starting to feel that way. A bunch of talented individuals but no more of a team than the Tory party.

After the excitement of Como this season is fizzling out big time

Fans forum could be spicy on Wednesday

It could but I hope the fans remain supportive of the Galinsons. They've done their bit and I think they really do want the best for this club. The players have not done their bit this season but I think any criticism should be aimed at them not the owners. The Gallinsons are the best thing to happen to this club in years. I hope peoples understandable frustration is not directed at them.

Ogie cost us two points against Forest Green, a point against MK and today he’s given away a penalty and missed a sitter at the other end. He’s clearly a gifted footballer but he seems to think he’s better than he is and it’s becoming harder to excuse when it’s week after week. First half we were just dire, second half it picked up. When we actually went after them we were forcing mistakes that were then getting the crowd going and the momentum of the game was swinging towards us. But them moments were few and far between. The Columbian looked good in the respect he “runs around like a maniac” which I’ll take at the moment. Ridiculous decision making at times (see trying to shoot when he should have played it out wide to Hutton). Still, at least he was trying to make something happen. I just don’t believe this squad should be picking up two points in the last three games when two of those were home to FGR and Walsall. The last game I saw us win was a 1-0 win against 10 man Sutton. We weren’t very good then either. We were shit against Acrington too but you look back with rose tinted glasses and think we came from behind so it was decent. Have we played well under Clemence? Once against Charlton at home. Gotta give him time but you’d really hope for more from this squad.

Another copy & paste home performance to a large extent.

Becoming tedious this. Same old, same old. No passion, no energy, no tempo, no intensity. This is what magnified Hurtado's impact.

Set your watch by Clemence's subs. Bang on 60 minutes. As normal.

Midfield completely unbalanced leading to a disjointed first half display. Wing backs too deep. Our most influential player Mahoney out of position. Lapslie the wrong choice for his starting position. Ain't rocket science this.

This is shaping up to be a massive missed opportunity to return to L1.

I await the forum on Wednesday with interest. The panel should expect to receive some difficult questions starting with this change of direction reasoning for the disruptive removal of Harris.

Last edited:
Declining crowds. Declining table position. Lack of goals - no one signed to put it in the net (is Masterson top scorer now?). Rookie coach out of his depth (Brad's choice?). Like one or two others I was calling for a review of our keeper situation. Ogie needs bench time.

Just accepting now that we will be mid table this season and probably see another change in the coaching team in the summer.

I just want entertaining, I want to see passion, desire, hunger, bust a gut, a "lets do this attitude".
I also wouldn't mind an actual leader, not just a captain who can collect fines and win the toss. A real leader.....

Too much to ask?

I just want entertaining, I want to see passion, desire, hunger, bust a gut, a "lets do this attitude".
I also wouldn't mind an actual leader, not just a captain who can collect fines and win the toss. A real leader.....

Too much to ask?
It's only what most of us are asking for. We lack leaders & strong characters. This has to be addressed in the next window.

It could but I hope the fans remain supportive of the Galinsons. They've done their bit and I think they really do want the best for this club. The players have not done their bit this season but I think any criticism should be aimed at them not the owners. The Gallinsons are the best thing to happen to this club in years. I hope peoples understandable frustration is not directed at them.
Fans will remain supportive but that does not & should not equate to them being eternally grateful & not being able to question certain decisions that have been made. Frustration comes from the season not matching fans' expectations but of course these were raised by BG bullish objective of promotion.

Ok, that's good to know, thanks. Though still not great.

We're you at the game? Do you listen to the Radio Kent commentary whilst watching the match?
I’m usually there, mate. Have a season ticket and go to quite a few away games - was at MK last week. My son had a match that kicked off at 1pm today near Ashford, so couldn’t make it. Watched on my friendly firestick which shows the match with radio Kent comms.

Lapslie and Mahoney are not and never will be central midfielders. If we're going to play 3 in midfield they need to be Coleman, Jefferies and Dieng

Lapslie and Mahoney just don't have the positional sense and discipline to play that role, hence why there's huge gaps in midfield.

If we went to 4-4-2 I'd play McKenzie RB with Hutton in front of him.

Ogie just isn't learning which is a worry. Looking more like Zakuani and Sancho every week.

11th league game in a row where we've failed to score in the first half. The application, approach to the game is fucking woeful. Someone needs to put a rocket up em before the game.
I wish he was like Zakuani, no great footballer technically but nothing got past him.

Another dull and uninspiring home game, where as many have touched on, we did our usual of not looking remotely interested until we go behind.

Another game where I sit there not entirely sure what our plan is under Clemence.

Weren’t we sold the change of manager as “a change of direction?

No first half goal in a league game since mid-November, home form has got worse, home crowds are dwindling, entertainment has at best flatlined at non-existent, goal scoring hasn’t improved a notch (4 of our last 5 goals have been from set-plays), and the bottom line of results pretty much haven’t changed either.

Yes, it’s not a squad full of Clemence’s players, but I don’t accept that as an excuse for continually drab performances. He was appointed to a lot of fanfare as to how amazing a coach he was - good coaches improve footballers, so he should have been enable to refine and improve the ones he inherited, and I’d argue not one has got better since his arrival to what they were producing prior to it.

By the way before people come for my throat, I’m not saying let’s sack Clemence now, if he turns out not to be good enough the questions should be at those who appointed him. I just think it’s extremely disappointing that we created 6 weeks of upheaval early in the season for this alleged “change of direction” which is proving to be an absolute myth.

To end the post of a more positive note, Hurtado was really bright spark today. He may well prove to be a bit frustrating and bit chaotic at times, but he was lively, which is more than we can say about most at the moment .

Last edited: