Aston Villa v Newcastle Utd Match Thread - Tues 30th Jan - 8.15 | Page 29 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Newcastle Utd Match Thread - Tues 30th Jan - 8.15

In the last year or so, Unai has masterminded a transition from relegation fodder to top 4 contenders. With basically the same squad. This has been achieved by adopting a style and sticking rigidly to it, despite moans and groans of those who would resort to our old ways at the first opportunity. Thankfully he will stick to his guns, just like he did after Leicester thrashed us at home and the 5-1 away defeat.

I see all the usual stereotypes are being trotted out . Only happens when dare lose a game.

Players are tired - Tick

They wanted it more - Tick

Get rid of (insert name here) he's had one bad game - Tick.
They did want it more tbf

We were totally hopeless most of the game yesterday. I think most accept a loss but its the manner of the loss. This was as bad as the manure game.

The issue is we have not been playing well since the citeh win. Thats thw concern more than the losses for me

your other point though about unai being able to figure out new ways is what makes him elite. Completely agree with that

Evening kick offs used to be 7:30 or 7:45 before football became an armchair drama series. 8pm was bad enough but 8:15 is bloody ridiculous! To the point where we’re thinking of appearing more generous by passing our tickets to other family members. What’s the next step 8:30? Then 9.
As for Zaniolo, well he did make me smile. I’d been demanding a more physical approach after losing out on so many 50/50s and on comes Nicolo leaving bodies all over the place 😂.
we didn't have Duran to come on and boot people and get carded this week so the Z man filled in ;)

Very very poor performance.

There looks to be a lack of confidence and zip all over the pitch - hence lots of poor passing, laboured movement, not trying to go past players etc.

I think we really do miss Torres, especially in games like these. Newc man marked the middle 3 and this is where Pau tends to bring the ball out further, and then play great balls into final third when the opposition think they have cut out the pass into the middle.

I fully expect Unai to sort this out, just a matter and when.

Part of the issue is the expectations i guess ? We have lets be honest over-achieved in part 1 of the season, we are probably going to fall off to our natural position which is 6/7th . We've been hampered by injuries but all clubs get these so i don't think we can blame that . The squad is still short and FFP is a constraint . Blaming Ref's VAR is petty as all clubs get bad calls. It is what it is at the moment.

Just had a look at the table after 22 games last season. We had 31 points (11th). Newcastle had 43 (3rd) which is what we have now. I seem to remember them having a sticky patch as well.

Not hoping to prove anything in particular with this, just an observation.
You have proved its no time to have your head in your hands.

Yeah, don't get me wrong ...Life goes on and that ridiculous ko time is well ... ridiculous. But you'd have been gutted with a comeback!.
I left when Zaniolo decided to half their player in the box and heard the Newcastle fans celebrating as I got to the Holte pub. I need to beat the motorway closures. Another shambles.

Yeah the kick off time certainly didn’t help, it’s already 9.15ish by the time the second half kicks off. I mean I’d much prefer to leave with thousands of others when having to walk through Aston at night but I couldn’t stay for much more of that and the extra hour or so of sleep I stood to gain won in the end.

I would be gutted if I’d missed a comeback obviously but it absolutely didn’t worry me at that moment and so it proved in the end. Really surprised me he didn’t make changes at half time, I felt the writing was on the wall then.

Teams who have pace up top who are willing to be aggressive pressing us high and hunt us down in packs, seem to have success. I think it was Burnley a few weeks thought might have been Sheff United, who I thought were surprisingly aggressive and didn’t give us as much time to play around and build up from the back as we’d have liked. Some of our best results at home over the past year have been when we start quickly, but we don’t seem want to start as fast these days.

For the better teams with fast attacking players - Newcastle, Liverpool, Spurs - we need to find that plan B. That’s easier said that done, for me it’s finding that space the high position leave between a bit further up the pitch.

This is why Morgan is being signed as I think he will play in and around this position, he seems more of a creator.
Our left side is also a bit light. JJ has been missing too long. Zaniolo doesn’t work out on the left. Diaby and Bailey prefer to play thru the middle or from the right. Tielemens and McGinn while different players pretty much ask the same question of defenses (neither is running the channel or taking on their man).

It was actually highlighted post match analysis vs. Newcastle. We opened up space down the left behind Trippier but never had anyone to attack it. So we were doing a good job of pulling them out of their shape but couldn’t capitalize on it.

I’m not expecting the world from the lad but he is probably a better option playing from the left than anyone else bar a fully fit JJ.

And fans having a dig at other fans for not being annoyed enough about losing - tick.

Cor blimey, I really don't miss when we used to lose all the time.

And fans having a dig at other fans for venting their disappointment- Tick
Exactly. Im not interested in arguing.

My point is if you want to stay positive no problem you can ignore the signs that this has been coming for a while as we been pretty poor since citeh game. We have not got remotely close to that performance. I mean from what i can see no one is going OTT.

I think people have the right to voice their concerns even if its deemed to be "negative"