A wash-up of topics | Vital Football

A wash-up of topics

Liam Scully

Vital Newbie
Greetings, everyone,

I'd like to take a moment to address several recurring topics and concerns that have been discussed on the forum. Before I begin, please understand that these are my personal thoughts, not an official club statement. I recognise the importance of transparency during challenging times and appreciate your feedback, but hope you understand I can’t commit to responding point by point.

The Model

Let's begin with our club's approach, often referred to as "the model."

Our progression from the National League to League One is seen as a fairytale. There is no doubt when living it, that was the overall feeling. In reality – and the information is all publicly available for you to see - a more accurate description would be a (very) well-executed plan that was suitably resourced.

Let me be clear: there is no sleight or hint of negativity in this. But our income, plus the ability of our investors to top that up, meant we had competitive budgets akin to our league positions achieved. For the plan to work, it still needed people to action the plan and action it well. Our success in this time is a proud and worthy achievement and there are countless stories of clubs with similar/more resources and massively underachieved. You only need to look at 21st and 24th place in League Two right now to see this first-hand. Therefore, we should always look back at those times with great pride.

However, competing with larger clubs in League One necessitates a different approach. Instead of referring to it as a "model," let's call it our "method."

Our method is to (on the whole) sign players pre-peak and work with them to develop them into their peak.

To add more detail, this may be end of pathway players either at end of contract and free of compensation (so 25 years old), or end of pathway (24 and under), but with agreements from their club to smaller fees, with a shared future interest in their development.

The other market is undervalued marketplaces, where we see traits and attributes comparable to League One but at smaller fees/salaries than those established/proven in the division.

Of course, the downside is that there will be bumps on the road. We will live the whole development journey, and with high-reward strategies, there is also risk.

I could further justify our approach, but the best way to detail this is to describe the alternative.

We could opt for a low-risk, low-reward strategy. In reality, I think we could be functional and sign a few more 'sure things', but these would never be the division's standout performers. Maybe unfairly, but let's call it a team of solid citizens. The truth is we would be more consistent, but we would have a hard ceiling, and the reality is we could bob in and around mid-table League One for a few years with relative certainty. Naturally, as someone in favour of the alternative, I'd argue that the fans would soon get fed up with this approach and lack of year-by-year progression, but I wholly accept I have bias.

We believe our current method is the right path for long-term success. This is then where we have to link in the game model…

Game Model / Style of Play

Our game model isn't solely about formations; it encompasses our playing style, player attributes, and team setup. Our head coach has the authority to have first and last say on who fits this model while we maintain some core principles. This approach is common among successful clubs and is more flexible than some may perceive.

One of the elements within this is that we wish to have playing traits that are similar to football, which is played higher up the pyramid.

This is important for two prime reasons.

1 – If we are to resell players for any real value, they will have to demonstrate this in a relatable team.

2 – If we are to recruit players based on sharing future success, we need to demonstrate we are committed to point 1. Without this, they would favour upfront fees, which again would be beyond us.

Investment/Projected Losses

We have been open and transparent regarding projecting £3m losses this financial year. We will also soon publish last year's results, which aren't a million miles away from this years projected, despite achieving a total club record for player sales.

The investors, which at this current time is predominantly the Jabara family, have signed up to these losses as we are in a building stage, but we all agree that this is not sustainable in the long term.

Redistribution/reform will help, but we also need to self-serve, realise previous investments, and see supported commercial strategies come to fruition. An example is the matchday programme, which was a £10k loss-making item per annum, which c240 on average purchased. We have to be more savvy with how we apply our resources to deliver a return, and this is where we are currently focussing our attention.

It should also be noted how the investors, in particular Clive in the past, have made commitments to things that underpin the club in the medium/long term. If it was a vanity project or an investment made selfishly, he/they could have poured their money into short-term projects, which no doubt would have provided more immediate returns. Crass, I accept, but I refer to this like junkies on a shot of heroin. Many owners go from one shot of heroin to the next until they get fed up and leave the club in no better (or even a worse place) than they found it. Clive, Harvey and others continue to act selflessly and without exception. I'll do more on this later, but I have no hesitation in saying people need to be careful what they wish for. Not least a group of fans who opted to provide Harvey with some pretty curt treatment and words walking down the steps post-Bolton. I have no hesitation in saying massive shame on you. Not least, as it was done so cowardly.

Fan Feeling

On this more broadly, do I understand the current level of frustration? 100% I do. Please be assured I am as equally frustrated.

That said, that is a key reason why we took action. One we would rarely consider, in particular mid-season.

I wholly and firmly believe Michael is the right person for Lincoln City. Like Clive, Harvey and others, he is selfless, genuinely wants to build something, and has a track record of doing what he says he is going to do.

Undoubtedly, we are at a really challenging period if we look down a short-term lens. Performances, in particular at home over the last 30 months need to be more entertaining, and the highs need to do more to make the lows worth it.

However, we are in a building phase. Or, to be more accurate, a short/sharp demolition stage to re-build. The reason for the demolition to rebuild is 100% on me as CEO. Not Jez, not Clive, Harvey, Michael etc etc. We have made some missteps in the past 20 months and must be accountable for that. We are, and your criticisms are valid.

But… I'd like to think we are on a path to rectifying this, and we really need your support in doing so. I could list many mitigating factors, but I don't feel the need to defend my/our record.

What I will say is IF we eat ourselves at this pivotal time for the club, we will only create a lose-lose.

I know many of you provide us with your unconditional support. Likewise, I feel the generosity of others who are on the fence. I accept that. My only plea is that we stick together. If we remain together, we will be stronger for it.

I will say I have been personally upset at a couple of incidents/abuse I have received when out with my family. I have no objections to taking feedback or criticism 1:1, but I would ask if this doesn't involve my wife or young children. On a similar note, I find it challenging to take some of the reactions towards one of our young players, who is in a tough situation, doing his very best. To scapegoat a young player is disappointing, not least when most of the criticism is not fair and accurate, but that is Pandora box and one I will refrain from opening further.

Context

So, overall, we sit just outside the top third of teams from PL-League Two in terms of net performance over the past 5 seasons (36 from 92 to be specific). Within this period, we have invested time and money into strategies and projects that will provide returns to the club long after I am gone. We are trying to get the balance right between short-term and long-term and accept we have got a few things wrong along the way.

I wholly and entirely respect and understand your frustration, and I assure you we are all working tirelessly to give you a club to be proud of.

I hope this post goes someway to providing clarity and explanation where needed, and close by asking you to stand by us, accepting this comes with an expectation to deliver in the future.

Thank you for your support and understanding.

Liam

Last edited:
Thank you for that Liam. Very few football club CEO’s would provide such a frank and personal commentary on a fan’s forum. The frustration is no doubt felt across the entire spectrum of Lincoln City FC from fans to management and shareholding owners. Generally we are a fairly patient bunch, some more optimistic than others, but everyone appreciates the efforts of particularly Clive, yourself and the main “investors”.

Here’s hoping for a more entertaining and successful 2024. UTI.

Sorry to hear of the reports of abuse aimed at you/your family and Harvey. Incredibly depressing and mindless.

On the football side of things, slightly interested in the short/sharp 'demolition' line. I guess a mid-season sacking might feel part of that (still wholly supportive of that decision) but the terminology sounds interesting in terms of the squad etc? Perhaps reading into it too much. I guess an element of it is blowing up a playing style that is basically the antithesis of what we are trying to so.

Last edited:
Very few clubs would have a CEO come and engage on a fans forum like this. What I would say is Lincoln Forums (as with other social media) aren't the real world and don't reflect the values and support the vast majority give to Lincoln City. Win together, lose together, stay together. Always been the same, never changed in my 41 years following this club.

To those that have directed personal abuse to the people running our club you are complete wankers and an embarrassment to your tiny small minded selves. You make my toes curl with cringe and completely boil my piss.

Have an opinion, have a passionate debate, but FFS it's football and remember the people having abuse directed at them are trying to make your life enriched and happier.

To those that have directed personal abuse to the people running our club you are complete wankers and an embarrassment to your tiny small minded selves. You make my toes curl with cringe and completely boil my piss.

Have an opinion, have a passionate debate, but FFS it's football and remember the people having abuse directed at them are trying to make your life enriched and happier.

100% agree but I do have to say that I'm certain no-one on this forum would stoop so low.

I am of the same opinion as others on this forum, no deserves to be abused, especially the investors who have put in so much in a short space of time. We should accept the club we are as detailed by yourself Liam. There’s an awful lot that goes on behind the scenes and I personally thank all involved, for their continued hard work.

Thank you Liam.
Hope you didn't feel like that was something you had to post but it's a really detailed and extremely laudable post.

One of the great successes over the last few years has been the expansion and transition in the demographic of the supporter base and football supporting is great in the way it brings together people who normally live quite different lifestyles. We do know however that the club, like many, have a minority with behavioural issues and we certainly hope that those who are on the receiving end understand it is no way representative of supporters in general.

Really interesting content in the reply as well.
I think most supporters, certainly me included, are victims of short termism. We are really only concerned with the last few games and the next couple . Opinion tends to swing wildy and often from one extreme to the other. When things aren't going so well the opinions tend to be stronger but really it shows how much the football club means and how much we care.
Good job that people running the club are able to take a step back and put things into a better and into a longer term perspective.

The people giving the abuse are a disgrace to themselves and an embarrassment to the rest of us true supporters. To verbally abuse people who have invested heavily in the club is unbelievable. To stoop as low as abusing Liam whilst he has his wife and young children with him is beyond belief.
No other CEO would be willing to come on a fan site and try to explain things in depth as he does and I applaud him for that.
I like to think that like everyone else on here I will continue to give my honest opinions as I see it. And I won't lie and say that I am happy at the moment but still support the club through thick and thin and whatever happens will be purchasing my season ticket for next season when they come on renewal.

Personal and family abuse is absolutely disgraceful. Some people need to get a grip. We're in the top half of L1 ffs.
Personally, league position is irrelevant. Anyone abusing Liam for doing his job (very well) is a first rate tool. They really need to experience real trauma in their lives before harassing a decent man and his family over a game of football. Shameful creatures from under a rock should stay there.

Personally, league position is irrelevant. Anyone abusing Liam for doing his job (very well) is a first rate tool. They really need to experience real trauma in their lives before harassing a decent man and his family over a game of football. Shameful creatures from under a rock should stay there.

Agreed and these people need to be told to back off, take a breath and maybe realise competitive sport isn't for them.

Many thanks for posting so transparently on here Liam, I can't think of many clubs that would engage so openly and honestly - especially on social media.

I am appalled at the actions of those that have given abuse to the people running the club - I hope that upon reflection they realise how base that is.

The vast majority of fans support the Imps through thick and thin and have witnessed much in their time - and it is so often the vocal minority that get heard and give the wrong flavour of the true feelings of the majority. Yes, there is frustration at recent results but I suspect that few clubs could gain many wins without their whole front line, especially as tactics that must be employed to mitigate this in games must often involve the team on the day playing in an alien and contrived fashion; certainly not in the chosen free flowing forward fashion that would best suit supporting those forwards.

As for the abject abuse aimed at Makama, this really rankles as I know from experience that this will have a detrimental effect on him. In teaching Maths, I have taught many talented students and many who have found the subject challenging. I personally struggled with Maths in my Sixth Form whilst at school, only developing a much better understanding later. To abuse somebody whilst they are struggling cannot, will not ever improve their ability or confidence. Encouragement, coaching, support and openness are key here. I wish him well and hope that he ignores this entitlement from others - go for it Jovon, there's a reason that you are on the books.

Looking back over some of the recent fixtures, there are matches there that many would anticipate us losing. We have lost some but drawn others - yet this is something to beat MS with. Puzzling. Again, where is the support, the encouragement from those folk. Cast your mind back to such as Graham Taylor's early days - or those matches where Wardy missed some chances (or, worse, was a "goalgrabber"). How do you spell "fickle"?

So, come on fellow fans, let's get behind OUR club. Let's let them know that we give our support. Let's let them know that there truly is that twelfth man.

COME ON YOU IMPS!!!!!!©

Last edited:
I can only echo what everyone else has intimated on here, ANY sort of abuse or hassle directed at Harvey or Liams family is beyond unacceptable and is quite frankly embarrassing and pathetic. We all support Lincoln City, from the board and investors down to the fans and sponsors and as a community we all want what’s best for our club.

As a supporter for over 40 years (a ST holder for most of that) I want to apologise on behalf of the LCFC family to Liam and Harvey. This sort of abuse doesn’t belong to any person who could call themselves a fan and a supporter of our club IMO.

Last edited:
Firstly, a huge thank you to Liam on behalf of all genuine supporters for taking the time to explain these points in such detail, surely no other club would do that.

Second, to those abusing Harvey, Liam and his family, and Jovon ( and recently Michael Skubala on here) - shame on you.

Third, as a follow up to the second. This is one of the best run clubs in the league and the club run better than any time in its history. To those still not happy? Be careful what you wish for, dont destroy this, be patient.