The Stadium! | Page 130 | Vital Football

The Stadium!

Levy wouldn't be the first leader to get the big, practical things done well (e.g. managing expectations with The FA and securing Wembley) but fail so miserably on the communication, culture and brand piece. It's very common for leaders to put that lower down in the priorities when it's where you should be spending the major part of your time when things don't go to plan.

The project management 101 piece (scope, time, budget, quality etc) you can't directly influence too much at your senior level but the brand and culture is yours to own. Levy can look back and realise the mistakes of the way comms were handled (e.g. brand of NFL > brand of your fans). He would know that there was a half baked contingency plan for season ticket holders and a mad scramble to get something together.

If he's smart (which he clearly is) he can see the direct correlation between his leadership actions and the public shit storm that has happened. He went from the guy executing on an amazing vision for a club steeped in tradition, to the guy who draws blanks in the transfer market and doesn't give 2 hoots about his own fans. All that, in a space of 5 days. That must have hurt. Levy would have learnt some tough lessons from wearing that 2nd hat for the last few years. It wasn't an easy gig.

I'm of the opinion that these basic errors by Levy and co will be soon forgotten when we start to enjoy the brand new stadium and everything that comes with it.
I think it was a mistake to hire a management company rather than a main contractor IMO

I can understand Levy and the club wanting to get in to the new Stadium ASAP. They shouldn’t pay the rent on Wembley any more than they have to, it’s all money down the drain when we have our own ground to play at.

Levy wouldn't be the first leader to get the big, practical things done well (e.g. managing expectations with The FA and securing Wembley) but fail so miserably on the communication, culture and brand piece. It's very common for leaders to put that lower down in the priorities when it's where you should be spending the major part of your time when things don't go to plan.

The project management 101 piece (scope, time, budget, quality etc) you can't directly influence too much at your senior level but the brand and culture is yours to own. Levy can look back and realise the mistakes of the way comms were handled (e.g. brand of NFL > brand of your fans). He would know that there was a half baked contingency plan for season ticket holders and a mad scramble to get something together.

If he's smart (which he clearly is) he can see the direct correlation between his leadership actions and the public shit storm that has happened. He went from the guy executing on an amazing vision for a club steeped in tradition, to the guy who draws blanks in the transfer market and doesn't give 2 hoots about his own fans. All that, in a space of 5 days. That must have hurt. Levy would have learnt some tough lessons from wearing that 2nd hat for the last few years. It wasn't an easy gig.

I'm of the opinion that these basic errors by Levy and co will be soon forgotten when we start to enjoy the brand new stadium and everything that comes with it.

I seriously doubt he gives a toss what the fans think. Regardless of the many mistakes he has made over nearly 20 years.

I think it was a mistake to hire a management company rather than a main contractor IMO

Not my area of expertise, but my guess is that the same mistakes could have been made on comms, change management etc either way. When I've led global tech implementations I normally cherry pick which key roles report to me and which ones get outsourced, even within the same company. You know that vendor or consultant is out to get every penny so you mitigate that.

I do think Levy was let down by his comms / press people though. Any decent spin doctor would have not made the schoolboy errors that were made leaving the angst with the fans.

You could be right. His external persona is not a great one. It does feel like we're all faceless customers or consumers to his revenues rather than fans or spectators of a football club :-)
Like the proverbial mushrooms ............kept in the dark and ,,,,,,,,,,you know the rest

WW, I'll take a guess at it...

Assuming it is to be a permanent fixture, to me it looks like a transmitter akin to what is seen on top of many a high rise blocks, especially commercial towers. Seeing that it's sited on the south stand which will be surrounded by several high rise blocks, the reception may be affected, hence our very own transmitter. Suffice to say, like a UFO, it may be gone in the morning!!

Bloke I spoke to today said he's been told it's opening in February. He's not particularly itk directly but knows a couple people who might be. He did once tell me one piece of inside info 3rd hand that ended up being true. Not sure where he heard this info from, seemed convinced though.

Has anyone else heard this February story anywhere?

Bloke I spoke to today said he's been told it's opening in February. He's not particularly itk directly but knows a couple people who might be. He did once tell me one piece of inside info 3rd hand that ended up being true. Not sure where he heard this info from, seemed convinced though.

The Times appear to be backing this up Fruend . They are reporting
( Matt Hughes) that it will be the Goons on march 2 nd but the club are trying desperately for Man U