The Stadium! | Page 129 | Vital Football

The Stadium!

hope you're right ww! Few rumours flying around before the announcement that it's looking like next season.
I hope I'm right too Fruend , thing is ,nobody gives out any info on an official news bulletin ,which I suppose is the clubs prerogative , but it just lends itself to the rumour mill .
It seems bizarre that there is a perfect pitch , all marked out , with dance troupes performing to the management ,in a perfect stadium under a brilliant light show and great sound system .......and no news of the ' kin football

I totally disagree, if they had planned for next season in my view the costs would increase significantly.
Contractors need to be under a certain amount pressure to perform, and there would have been no guarantee that we wouldn't have discovered the safety issue in April/May when tests would have been scheduled therefore missing the start of next season.
For me if we get in by end of Jan it will be worth it, that would still give us 8-10 games at home. That in itself would save us the cost of Wembley for those games, factor in the reduced capacity at Wembley against the increased gate receipt at our new stadium.
Plus one would assume the revenue for naming right would hit our coffers that much earlier.
IMO opinion the club were 100% right to push as hard as they have, getting it open in 18 month is still a great achievement IMO.

I totally disagree, if they had planned for next season in my view the costs would increase significantly.
Contractors need to be under a certain amount pressure to perform, and there would have been no guarantee that we wouldn't have discovered the safety issue in April/May when tests would have been scheduled therefore missing the start of next season.
For me if we get in by end of Jan it will be worth it, that would still give us 8-10 games at home. That in itself would save us the cost of Wembley for those games, factor in the reduced capacity at Wembley against the increased gate receipt at our new stadium.
Plus one would assume the revenue for naming right would hit our coffers that much earlier.
IMO opinion the club were 100% right to push as hard as they have, getting it open in 18 month is still a great achievement IMO.

A great achievement completely undermined by the mismanagement of everyone else's expectations.

A great achievement completely undermined by the mismanagement of everyone else's expectations.
I understand the concern regarding the management of expectation 80, but I do believe that it is a lot more difficult on a project like this than many may realise. The danger is if you set a target of October contractually with contractor and the project management company, then you you tell the supporters that you may not achieve that target date. This sends totally the wrong message to contractors.
I've been in this position and I can tell you that you cannot give contractor an excuse to ease off, do that and a month delay quickly turns into two.

Can we build a history of incompetence related to Levy ? I think 13 managers before he stumbled over the right one. Dismissal of some who perhaps needed more support. Poor player signings, failure to spend when needed to sustain title and cup competitiveness. Elongated stadium negotiations, failed stadium opening date. Failed advertising strategy . Is there a pattern of incompetence and failure compared to comparable operations. ?

Be careful what you wish for, I don't understand the assumption made by many that any new owner would do a better job.
I wouldn't mind betting that if you look at the takeover of clubs many end up worst off.

I understand the concern regarding the management of expectation 80, but I do believe that it is a lot more difficult on a project like this than many may realise. The danger is if you set a target of October contractually with contractor and the project management company, then you you tell the supporters that you may not achieve that target date. This sends totally the wrong message to contractors.
I've been in this position and I can tell you that you cannot give contractor an excuse to ease off, do that and a month delay quickly turns into two.

Everyone knows that invariably there are time and money overruns on any level of construction project.

Which makes the club look a little more naive...or for the more conspiracy-minded, manipulative.

Everyone knows that invariably there are time and money overruns on any level of construction project.

Which makes the club look a little more naive...or for the more conspiracy-minded, manipulative.

I can tolerate the delays as I get projects of this size get delayed. The problem is my Season Tickets went up 33% (despite being worse seat comparatively to what I have at Wembley) and I know I'm lucky, many saw theirs go up 75% or even more... This was justified because we thought we'd be watching Spurs in the best stadium in the country sooner rather than later. With each delay, the fact that you have to apply for a refund for each individual game, then re-buy your tickets (often at more than the refund if it's a category A game) is a joke. All this off the back of their OTT promises and heavy advertising to shift the season tickets.

I've read online it's even worse for those who bought Premium STs - they don't even get the refund, just credit to spend on premium packages for Wembley. Many of them only paid that ££ to upgrade to premium based on the advertising, VR presentation & etc. so it's a proper cop out imo.

I can tolerate the delays as I get projects of this size get delayed. The problem is my Season Tickets went up 33% (despite being worse seat comparatively to what I have at Wembley) and I know I'm lucky, many saw theirs go up 75% or even more... This was justified because we thought we'd be watching Spurs in the best stadium in the country sooner rather than later. With each delay, the fact that you have to apply for a refund for each individual game, then re-buy your tickets (often at more than the refund if it's a category A game) is a joke. All this off the back of their OTT promises and heavy advertising to shift the season tickets.

I've read online it's even worse for those who bought Premium STs - they don't even get the refund, just credit to spend on premium packages for Wembley. Many of them only paid that ££ to upgrade to premium based on the advertising, VR presentation & etc. so it's a proper cop out imo.
I think that is appalling, and Levy should be held accountable for that. I also see no reason why should have to apply for refunds on an individual basis. Why can't they issue a list of games at Wembley between now and the new year, then you simply indicate the games you wish to attend and refund the difference.
These for me are the kind of things that Levy should be criticise for not some of the silly petty things he's often criticise for.

Iirc from what they said in the meeting with the trust they can't do that because Wembley has a separate ticketing partner to Spurs.

However they should refund all games in one go not 1 at a time as it has been.

This will be the first season in about 20 im not going to go to a single home game.

I’m just taking my st refund and will use it to pay for next years.

It’s bad enough to have to go back to Wembley, but I’m not paying more for it?

Cat B for Southampton a few days before Xmas?

Suck my balls Levy.

Building projects often overrun on costs & time.Levy tried to squeeze his ambitious project into a ridiculous time slot hoping to save money.He has blown the family silver on the most sophisticated stadium in Europe.Only time will tell whether he has given us a beautiful legacy or a financial millstone that will condemn us to 10 years of austerity.Sounds a bit like the British economy since 2008.

Levy wouldn't be the first leader to get the big, practical things done well (e.g. managing expectations with The FA and securing Wembley) but fail so miserably on the communication, culture and brand piece. It's very common for leaders to put that lower down in the priorities when it's where you should be spending the major part of your time when things don't go to plan.

The project management 101 piece (scope, time, budget, quality etc) you can't directly influence too much at your senior level but the brand and culture is yours to own. Levy can look back and realise the mistakes of the way comms were handled (e.g. brand of NFL > brand of your fans). He would know that there was a half baked contingency plan for season ticket holders and a mad scramble to get something together.

If he's smart (which he clearly is) he can see the direct correlation between his leadership actions and the public shit storm that has happened. He went from the guy executing on an amazing vision for a club steeped in tradition, to the guy who draws blanks in the transfer market and doesn't give 2 hoots about his own fans. All that, in a space of 5 days. That must have hurt. Levy would have learnt some tough lessons from wearing that 2nd hat for the last few years. It wasn't an easy gig.

I'm of the opinion that these basic errors by Levy and co will be soon forgotten when we start to enjoy the brand new stadium and everything that comes with it.