I hate what the world is becoming | Page 215 | Vital Football

I hate what the world is becoming

1. Gammon is a racist term actually - if we are going to apply the current unofficial rules on this topic. Fairs fair. Again. What's good for one is good for another.

2. Left extremists get upset with everything, shout, can't answer simple questions and result to personal insults over debates.

1 - no it's not. Because we use legal terms.

2 - the right tend to punch people and get criminal records.

:wave:

1 - no it's not. Because we use legal terms.

2 - the right tend to punch people and get criminal records.

:wave:
Well OFCOM added it to a list of offensive words.

The right punch people?

God this could go for days and just respawning the same crap aren't we.

The right punch people?

I hope you're not suggesting Ofcom should be taken seriously?

They are the most ineffective and least fit-for-purpose regulator in history, and it's a seriously crowded field.

I can see gammon becoming problematic as it clearly refers to an essential and unchangeable feature, namely the skin colour of the person being called a “gammon”.

The right punch people?

If Ofcom ever tried to do their job properly I'd pay more attention to them, Saying gammon is offensive is about as daft to me as saying snowflake is racist.

I can see gammon becoming problematic as it clearly refers to an essential and unchangeable feature, namely the skin colour of the person being called a “gammon”.

Not really born a gammon though are you?

And no, I'm not suggesting babies are tasty.

Not really born a gammon though are you?

And no, I'm not suggesting babies are tasty.
It’s obviously a reference to skin colour. There’s other racial terms for black and Asians which are well, not what they are born as.

I use the term at times to be fair but I don’t think people who claim to care deeply about racism should be using it. It’s hypocritical.

It’s obviously a reference to skin colour. There’s other racial terms for black and Asians which are well, not what they are born as.

I use the term at times to be fair but I don’t think people who claim to care deeply about racism should be using it. It’s hypocritical.
I do agree it shouldn't be used because it's a nice easy out for those who are already pretty brittle. I will say the utter irony of right-wingers and their defenders to get upset over being called a racial slur is hysterical to me.

I do think its funny that snowflake and gammon are expressing the same thing yet only one is being pushed out there as a racial slur. Can't say anything these days :ROFLMAO: but in all seriousness shouldn't be used. Not because its inherently wrong but because it destroys discourse.

Broflake might be the better term.

I was being flippant mate - hence the baby crack.

But no, it's clearly meant and delivered as an insult, and I could go as far as it being ageist in use, but not racist in its creation and use, just doesn't tick the same boxes for me as it's viewpoint based, it's not a racially defining determination in the way many of the other slurs are based in (and on those you know I'd agree with you).

But we are back in some ways to the malicious intention vs say 'song lyric' harmless intention debate, which I know can split people at the best of times lol

But no, not for me, I accept you and others might see it differently though simply as you could well have seen it used where it was obvious and clear that was meant to be the intention and it was meant to have a meaning I've never seen in use

I know words change, but gammon is just a stupid insult for me, as is snowflake and words of that ilk. Although I admire the efforts those in the gammon and snowflake extreme camps are going to in order to turn it on the others lol

I do agree it shouldn't be used because it's a nice easy out for those who are already pretty brittle. I will say the utter irony of right-wingers and their defenders to get upset over being called a racial slur is hysterical to me.

I do think its funny that snowflake and gammon are expressing the same thing yet only one is being pushed out there as a racial slur. Can't say anything these days :ROFLMAO: but in all seriousness shouldn't be used. Not because its inherently wrong but because it destroys discourse.

Broflake might be the better term.

Largely agree with that in terms of a lazy out for discourse and proper debate. And yes, different words, same extremes hence my comments about trying to turn it on each other.

Snowgam?
Gamflake?
Flakemon?

Researchers are paid a fortune to come up with this absolute bollocks.

I've no doubt a lot of it is racism, even if it's nothing more than generational.

I've also no doubt a lot is simply perceived because researchers are looking to justify their grant. A lot in that was pure supposition based on nothing.

Struck me as one of those where in the hopes of helping things, the report just winds everyone up. Why signposts to Mecca for example. Don't pointlessly virtue signal, let an individual plan their country walk based on their own preferences and if that involves rest stops, prayer, blood sugar requirements or whatever (disability, young family), provide a communal space for all with appropriate basic facilities that part boosts the local economy and doesn't lumber them with the added cost of fucking stupid signs.

Crap like this helps nobody, but I did note with interest outside of the John Craven reference, it was a group of 80 members originally looking into climate change and racism to determine a correlation.