Chairboys away | Page 12 | Vital Football

Chairboys away

TBH Brick, it was a shocking mistake to make from a keeper who has been exceptional this season. I still believe that keepers are coached wrongly to push the ball away when on some occasions they should be taking the ball firmly in the midriff.

Last night was one of those occasions but because Sam was looking to push the ball away his hands were in the wrong position.

In fairness to him he was caught out by the way the ball was played, he was expecting a cross and due to Scott Smiths mistake the player was able to get off a cross/shot with some pace.

It was quite obvious watching the game that Scowen, their player, was surprised by the outcome, and given his scoring record, knew it was fortuitous.

Having hit the ball hard into the near post Sam had to make up the ground from the centre of the goal and fell short which allowed the ball to squeeze into the goal. The problem as I say was that he was looking to parry the ball whereas, in my opinion, if his hands had been reversed and looking to catch the ball it would have been comfortable to take the ball in. Had he also been a couple of feet further the ball would have gone into the side netting and absolved him of the mistake.

All that said he is still a talent and has kept us in a number of games this season and should be forgiven his error on this occasion which I am sure he will learn from.
cheers tb. a valued response from someone who understands goalkeeping and the positeon.

i hope you 'heard' the irony in my post tho 😉

In those cup games you speak of the side with the better players only lose when they are complacent allow the lesser side to out work or out battle them.

That is what we constantly do against the mid to lower sides.

It's not like we are unpredictable, we are quite consistently playing with intensity against the top sides which allows us to play well then consistently playing without it against the lower sides which sees us under perform. It's not coincide after happening so many times, it's a motivational / mentality issue and an issue we seem to have no idea how to fix.

Even Maloney in his post match says he has to figure out why numerous times this season we 'take our foot off the gas' and play as we did in the first half.

I don't want to labour the point as I think that what this boils down to is a matter of interpretation.

I see us as a side that has some ability and generally plays to that level but is able to raise it's performances against better teams. In which case I see the sides performances against the lower clubs as the norm and against the higher sides as over performing.

You are obviously seeing the reverse and seeing the performances against the higher sides as more the norm and the performances against the lower rated sides as underperforming.

In relation to ability, you have a higher expectation than I have of the players and again it is down to interpretation.

In my interpretation I see limited ability in the squad, examples of this are the inability to break down sides that park the bus, inability of wingers to cross the ball consistently and the inability of players to control the ball in confined spaces. In my opinion these are the reasons that the side is so inconsistent and are also the reason that the players we have are at this club and not playing for teams in a higher division.

There is undoubtedly talent in the side with the likes of Charlie Hughes and Sam Tickle being the stand outs, but even they are not the finished article.

I understand your view point and can see why you would take the view that the squad is capable of better but the table doesn't lie, and we are, in my opinion, a mid table team with mid table players.

As previously we will probably have to agree to disagree on this as neither of us seem to want to relinquish our position.

cheers tb. a valued response from someone who understands goalkeeping and the positeon.

i hope you 'heard' the irony in my post tho 😉
Not really sure of what you're trying to do here (no, hold on, of course I am) but notwithstanding everything else TB says, it's clear Tickle was stood in the wrong place, and should have had his near post covered. See for yourself.

To be fair we have a good central mid in Shaw sat in the stands or on the bench most weeks.

I still don't get why we wasted 2 loans on Goode and Kelman when neither are remotely the type of player that fit into Maloney's style or filled the gaps we have. Just square pegs for round holes. It's mental we didn't sign a def mid and target man in January.

I wonder if the type of player we were looking for was available or even willing to sign for us in the last window.

You say it's mental that we didn't sign a def mid and target man but do you actually know if we tried to get players in and were turned down or if the embargo placed on us prevented us from bringing in those players.

I understand and agree with the comments about both Goode and Kelman but perhaps they were all that were available to us given our circumstances.

it was bloody rude. you can say i dont value your opineon. or. well you think it that wey but i see it this wey. but you dont have the rite to tell peeple they are talking bollox. opineon or not. you just dont.
I didn't tell anyone they were talking bollocks. I said that lots of it had been posted. Regardless, of course I have the right to tell people what I think ...as do they ... as do you ... as you are.
why invoke frankie. it wasnt hyperbole regardelss of what you sey you thot.
Because Frankie was one of those who'd mentioned it.
its not a rule. its an adage. but you (shuld of) known that
tomaytoe tomahtoe
who in the thred talked about changes that hadnt been made. in this thred. i cant be arsed looking but you oviously no who it was.
If you can't be arse looking, why should I be arsed telling you?
like ive sed before. this is what we or anybody dont no. what peeple are seying is that no matter who he gets in, if he persists with the same tactics. even with diferent pleyers. the outcome will prob be the same boring shite. some have even sed/asked has sean reeched his peek/level in management
Some have said lots of things ... some of it is bollocks not always true.
maybe not. but as a grown up (i hope) you owe them the curtesy of not being rude about what they sey. a better wey if you want to sey it is. i "think" your talking bollox. not. you 'are' talking bollox. thats just fucking arrogant.
As rudeness goes on here Brick, I reckon I'm one of the least rude to other individual posters. As it happens, I didn't the the word "are".
I refer you to the honerable member for hindleys response erlier in the thred.
Touchy (pronounced and spelled with a french accent) ... maybe.

Not really sure of what you're trying to do here (no, hold on, of course I am) but notwithstanding everything else TB says, it's clear Tickle was stood in the wrong place, and should have had his near post covered. See for yourself.

If he had been covering his near post mate then the centre of the goal would have been exposed from a crossed ball. The mistake made by Scott Smith gave their player the opportunity to get in and get the shot/cross off.

In all honesty I don't believe Scowen meant to score in that manner, his record tells you that, the angle was tight and he is not renowned for his goalscoring ability. I think he decided to hit the ball into the six yard box with pace hoping for someone to get a touch and got lucky.

On the subject of Sam Tickle I see him as good young prospect but nowhere near as good as Maloney has tried to make everyone believe.
He is not very good at corners and gets lost a lot in the crowd and flaps at a lot of crosses. Like most decent keepers he is a good shot stopper and his distribution is not too bad.
Overall a good one for the future but far from being top Championship or Premiership quality.
Just my opinion mind you

If he had been covering his near post mate then the centre of the goal would have been exposed from a crossed ball. The mistake made by Scott Smith gave their player the opportunity to get in and get the shot/cross off.

In all honesty I don't believe Scowen meant to score in that manner, his record tells you that, the angle was tight and he is not renowned for his goalscoring ability. I think he decided to hit the ball into the six yard box with pace hoping for someone to get a touch and got lucky.
Fair points TB, but it seems to me that as he was effectively stood next to the post, he might as well have been a foot closer to it. When the shot was struck, he was level with the post ... just a yard out from it.

Fully agree re their player ... and Scott Smith.

On the subject of Sam Tickle I see him as good young prospect but nowhere near as good as Maloney has tried to make everyone believe.
He is not very good at corners and gets lost a lot in the crowd and flaps at a lot of crosses. Like most decent keepers he is a good shot stopper and his distribution is not too bad.
Overall a good one for the future but far from being top Championship or Premiership quality.
Just my opinion mind you

I agree Zakky, Sam is a very decent prospect with a very good career ahead of him but he is far from the finished article.

In my opinion he should remain with us for at least another season whether that be as our player or a loan back from a club in a higher division.

Fair points TB, but it seems to me that as he was effectively stood next to the post, he might as well have been a foot closer to it. When the shot was struck, he was level with the post ... just a yard out from it.

Fully agree re their player ... and Scott Smith.

Yep, I agree he could have been closer to the post but he was obviously expecting Scott to prevent Scowen from getting to the line and positioning himself for the ball to be crossed further out.

As I said if Scott Smith had not made his mistake then the danger is from the cross and not a near post shot/cross.

didn't go last night but watched the second half. really frustrating to hear from Maloney and JJ in the post-match interviews that they were happy with that second half performance. Wycombe happily gave up possession and settled into a very low block because they knew how toothless we are in the box. For all that possession we created maybe 1 decent chance and we left the game with 3 shots on goal in total. That is IMO absolutely unacceptable for a team who's given that much possession. We clearly aren't working on how to break down a low block, and Godo had no idea whether he was supposed to be taking on the 1v1 and creating a chance for himself (which he's barely done since Xmas) or play the ball into the box for someone to head? Humphrys starts the game but then comes off when we need someone like him to take a player on and create a chance from nothing in the edge of the box. Our second half tactics seem to involve Thelo playing deeper once Baba is inevitably pulled off (oh er), which means Thelo isn't getting into the spaces to shoot and score, which is something he's pretty good at doing. It's unbelievably frustrating that we can't put away pretty average teams like Wycombe with the quality of players we do actually have within this team (recognising that we have some shortcomings as well)

He sets us up to play the opposition, but doesn't seem to care or understand that constantly changing players and then subbing them off after 45 mins is destroying their confidence. It doesn't reward players who do well, and it doesn't give anyone a run to find any kind of form.

I don't want to labour the point as I think that what this boils down to is a matter of interpretation.

I see us as a side that has some ability and generally plays to that level but is able to raise it's performances against better teams. In which case I see the sides performances against the lower clubs as the norm and against the higher sides as over performing.

You are obviously seeing the reverse and seeing the performances against the higher sides as more the norm and the performances against the lower rated sides as underperforming.

In relation to ability, you have a higher expectation than I have of the players and again it is down to interpretation.

In my interpretation I see limited ability in the squad, examples of this are the inability to break down sides that park the bus, inability of wingers to cross the ball consistently and the inability of players to control the ball in confined spaces. In my opinion these are the reasons that the side is so inconsistent and are also the reason that the players we have are at this club and not playing for teams in a higher division.

There is undoubtedly talent in the side with the likes of Charlie Hughes and Sam Tickle being the stand outs, but even they are not the finished article.

I understand your view point and can see why you would take the view that the squad is capable of better but the table doesn't lie, and we are, in my opinion, a mid table team with mid table players.

As previously we will probably have to agree to disagree on this as neither of us seem to want to relinquish our position.

I don't think it's a question of if the games against the bigger sides or the smaller sides is our norm. I think it's the different level of mentality we see between those games.

There is an obvious large drop in the effort based aspects our our game, in the terms of work rate, intensity and urgency levels against the lower side. Regardless of the opposition or our own form I think that is completely in our own hands and should still be there even if you are playing badly.

Being consistent in form can be challenging but consistent in our work rate should be.

The manager picked a team he clearly thought would win the game. when most fans knew we would get bullied with them two in midfield.
God knows what we do in training all week. Never any plans from corners. Never any good balls played through the middle. Wycombe just let us have the ball second half that was there game plan. Pass pass sideways and Goode. Pointing. It’s that bad now he has Hughes pointing as well. Hughes is going backwards every game.

I wonder if the type of player we were looking for was available or even willing to sign for us in the last window.

You say it's mental that we didn't sign a def mid and target man but do you actually know if we tried to get players in and were turned down or if the embargo placed on us prevented us from bringing in those players.

I understand and agree with the comments about both Goode and Kelman but perhaps they were all that were available to us given our circumstances.

Maybe we couldnt find someone with experience we wanted but we've had some good success with loaning young players who need game time. Prem and Champ clubs have so many kids on the books now that surely there must have been some young def mids and target men their clubs would be willing to loan out.

It would obviously be a gamble if they'd not played before but I'd prefer to try and plugs the gaps with the right profile of players and it not working rather than signing players that don't fit in the first place that are experienced.

Watched ever game this season. But since tinker bell dropped Morrison he’s not been the same player. Like the rest of the team he must be pissed of with all the changes.
You see, you make statements without any backup or justification whatsoever.

What in the past few games has Hughes done wrong? He's not been at fault for any of the goals. His distribution is generally still good. He still seems comfortable on the ball.

He may well have had a poor game or two earlier on, but that doesn't mean he's "going backwards" ... it means he's still learning and developing.

As for the rest of the team being "pissed off" ... why make things up? There's not a single interview with a player where you'd look and conclude they're pissed off. I might just as well say that they're all loving playing under Maloney ... I've just as much evidence for that statement as you have.

Yep, I agree he could have been closer to the post but he was obviously expecting Scott to prevent Scowen from getting to the line and positioning himself for the ball to be crossed further out.

As I said if Scott Smith had not made his mistake then the danger is from the cross and not a near post shot/cross.
i think they only coach omnipresence in the premier legue these days tb. 😉

You see, you make statements without any backup or justification whatsoever.

What in the past few games has Hughes done wrong? He's not been at fault for any of the goals. His distribution is generally still good. He still seems comfortable on the ball.

He may well have had a poor game or two earlier on, but that doesn't mean he's "going backwards" ... it means he's still learning and developing.

As for the rest of the team being "pissed off" ... why make things up? There's not a single interview with a player where you'd look and conclude they're pissed off. I might just as well say that they're all loving playing under Maloney ... I've just as much evidence for that statement as you have.
Your correct mate every one is pulling there tripe out for Maloney every one is giving 100% every game Next you will be saying that donkey up front a good player.

I didn't tell anyone they were talking bollocks. I said that lots of it had been posted. Regardless, of course I have the right to tell people what I think ...as do they ... as do you ... as you are.
"Can't be arsed reading all the bollocks right now - feck me, there's pages of it" - do not try and riggle out of this blanket acusateon of calling what was ritten before this statement. it was blatent. it was you accusing them that rote before on the game of talking bollox.
Because Frankie was one of those who'd mentioned it.
no. stick to what was ritten in your post.
tomaytoe tomahtoe
no. a rule is not an adage.
If you can't be arse looking, why should I be arsed telling you?
give me fucking strength. you brought it up. prove your point then.
Some have said lots of things ... some of it is bollocks not always true.
so with that ill take it as an agreement as youve bollox all nowt to counter it
As rudeness goes on here Brick, I reckon I'm one of the least rude to other individual posters. As it happens, I didn't the the word "are".
if i were to list the posters id be putting you right neer to the bottom of it. i heard somebody sey you were incorigable.
Touchy (pronounced and spelled with a french accent) ... maybe.
but right tho. eh?