The Unai Emery Thread | Page 218 | Vital Football

The Unai Emery Thread

Yes but how many managers get this level of buy-in? Pep, Klopp and Arteta, that’s it.

I truly cannot see him walking away from this job unless Real or Barca come knocking. Bayern is a left-field club that could take him too.

United want Zidane. That’s where their heads are at so I think we’re safe. If he signs a contract in the summer I think we get the 5-7 years unless those two come for him because that will never be off the table.

His reputation in England is still stained by what happened at Arsenal. I think we are safe until he starts winning some decent trophies. The conference thingy doesn't count.

I think Unai is here until he gets homesick and or one of the big 3 Spanish clubs call. At 51 he's still relatively young for a manager, so retirement won't be a thing anytime soon.
Studying him closely I think he is on the spectrum, he's certainly not "normal" whatever normal is.
Highly driven and successful people are certainly wired differently. Whether he's on the spectrum or not I'm not sure though. I would imagine he has disproportionately high levels of dopamine which is the driving force behind his energy and ability to continually be obsessed with what he does. Most normal people will be exhausted and lose interest.

Looks like a self soothing, calming action which he unconsciously does. Also rubs his jaw and chin. Tends to be at the beginning of the interview and then stops once he has hit his stride.
I've got 4 Grandchildren and 3 have autism and the 4th is just being checked out. It's far more common than people think and admit. Lots of kids have it but parents won't admit it or get it checked because of the stigma but once you've seen people close up with it you tend to know.
My old boss had Aspergers, I was the only one he told, to everyone else he was just a weird bloke who could do incredible things and was taken the piss out of because of it.
I've learnt so much about it these last few years since my Grandaughter was diagnosed with it.

I've got 4 Grandchildren and 3 have autism and the 4th is just being checked out. It's far more common than people think and admit. Lots of kids have it but parents won't admit it or get it checked because of the stigma but once you've seen people close up with it you tend to know.
My old boss had Aspergers, I was the only one he told, to everyone else he was just a weird bloke who could do incredible things and was taken the piss out of because of it.
I've learnt so much about it these last few years since my Grandaughter was diagnosed with it.
Yup. Same with SD jnr. It does help you to spot it in other people no question.

Monchi did an interview a while ago and said he and Unai where very lucky as they had total control. He also said Spanish club football higher management is rife with politics.

They know if they fail here it's down to them. They also know its a chance to mould a club just how they want it. The chance may well never come again.

Normally I would be concerned by people having this amount of control. However in Unai,s case I'm willing to make an exception.

I truly believe if and when they go the football side of our club will be structured as well as it could be.

Last edited:
Monchi did an interview a while ago and said he and Unai where very lucky as they had total control. He also said Spanish club football higher management is rife with politics.

They know if they fail here it's down to them. They also know its a chance to mould a club just how they want it. The chance may well never come again.

Normally I would be concerned by people having this amount of control. However in Unai,s case I'm will to make an exception.

I truly believe if and when they go the football side of our club will be structured as well as it could be.
Unless we get some numpty like Slippy who wants to rip it all to pieces as he wasn't part of it ala Doug with the Saunders team.
Hopefully by the time Unai does call time/move on he may also help sourcing a replacement

Almost everyone working in tech is autistic, certainly on the programming side. I'd imagine most of the professors in the uni I worked in were autistic too. It's almost like a superpower as long as you don't have to talk to other people.

Like most I hope he will be around for a long time. One thing I can’t get past is, the people he’s brought with him… he will have to have sold Aston Villa and the project to them as much as anyone. I think for him to up and leave anytime soon, would be unthinkable for him. I can’t imagine many if any clubs could gaurantee he can take Damian with him, Monchi et al. Pau must expect him to be here at least a couple of seasons minimum.

I’m not saying he will never leave, but I’d be really shocked if he’d even be tempted by Bayern this summer, for example.

He talks a lot about the premier league being the best league, he wants to prove himself here no doubt.

I think Unai is here until he gets homesick and or one of the big 3 Spanish clubs call. At 51 he's still relatively young for a manager, so retirement won't be a thing anytime soon.
Studying him closely I think he is on the spectrum, he's certainly not "normal" whatever normal is.
Yep after helping diagnose plenty over the years, there’s little doubt looking at his general behaviours that our Unai is somewhere on the spectrum….general lack of eye contact especially when greeting other managers just about nailed it for me!
I think he’s here for quite a while yet, the Arsenal sacking hurt him no end I’m sure which is now to our benefit because with the absolute control he’s got with us, it provides him with an ideal chance to prove his doubters in England wrong. He’s unlikely to get that amount of control anywhere else at present. No doubt for me, he’ll want to win a trophy or two before he moves on.

Normally I would be concerned by people having this amount of control. However in Unai,s case I'm willing to make an exception.

I do like this demarcation. When some are CEO's and start interfering with the area they don't know about - training, players, etc, it is often a disaster and then the same CEO will be the one blaming and firing the manager.

As you say here, with clear lines drawn, if the football side of things fails, by and large, you'll be able to know where the blame lies. That I am sure motivates them and also is just so much more fulfilling, rather than - as said - people with no expert knowledge poking their noses in.