The Unai Emery Thread | Page 216 | Vital Football

The Unai Emery Thread

I am even wondering if Deano even had that in the Championship?
No he got 19 wins out of 38 games, just checked and apart from the odd caretaker manager with one win from one game nobody is over 50% and that was George Ramsey who was manager for 40 years.

Football365 on Unai:

1) Unai Emery, Aston Villa (1)
Just doing a brilliant job. Perhaps the most compelling part is how quickly he’s normalised Villa once again being this good. It’s true you don’t have to go all that far back into ancient Barclays folklore to find some very decent Villa teams, but it’s also true that they were quite sh*t for quite a long time since then and brought Emery in because Steven Gerrard was leading them directly and rapidly into a relegation battle. That, somehow, was only last season.

Now they’re in Europe which seems perfectly fine, and with almost two thirds of the season are sitting snugly in the top four without anyone thinking this particularly odd or even noteworthy any more.

It’s just a very good manager doing a very good job with what he has turned into a very good team. We should cherish it, really, because this sort of thing doesn’t happen all that often.

Unai has a 60% win rate. He needs to maintain this rate to secure CL football, so out of the 13 games left we need to win 8 securing a total of 73 points.

COYVB :utv:

Unai has a 60% win rate. He needs to maintain this rate to secure CL football, so out of the 13 games left we need to win 8 securing a total of 73 points.

COYVB :utv:
71 was enough last year. I suspect 70 may well do it this year. Its been more competitive this year IMO.

we need to shake off Spurs in the next 5 games or so
I am afraid to jinx it but can we, it seems doable. Ange is starting to make some worrying comments if I am a Spurs fan. Unai has never said "I am not a magician". Ange is a quippy little comments are great sound bites but that's not good man management IMO. A good man manager is Unai, we're not yet a Top 7 team is just a bit better isn't it. It drives the lads on to prove they are whereas I'd be so deflated hearing Ange make it all about him and that he isn't a miracle worker.

- Spurs winning 4 games in stoppage time, doesn't seem sustainable.
- United winning games where they are played off the park, even against relatively poor teams like Luton? doesn't seem sustainable.

We have such an opportunity, Kamara is an absolutely massive loss but if we can keep Ollie, Bailey, Konsa, McGinn, Pau, Dougie and Emi1 fit it seems doable.

Lots of debate about how many points we'd need (based on average seasons) to finish 4th, but as it's looking increasingly likely that 5th will secure a champions league spot I thought I'd do the same for 5th.

Over the past 10 years the average points needed to finish 5th is...... 65 points.

So 13 more points from our last 12 games.

Wow. We're nearly there boys!

Lots of debate about how many points we'd need (based on average seasons) to finish 4th, but as it's looking increasingly likely that 5th will secure a champions league spot I thought I'd do the same for 5th.

Over the past 10 years the average points needed to finish 5th is...... 65 points.

So 13 more points from our last 12 games.

Wow. We're nearly there boys!

I don't see Utd getting more than 20 points from their last 12 games. That would put them on 64.

4 more wins, especially a win over Spurs and can saunter home.

I don't see Utd getting more than 20 points from their last 12 games. That would put them on 64.

4 more wins, especially a win over Spurs and can saunter home.

There will be no sauntering under Unai Emery. I expect him to be demanding every minute of every game to the end of the season, no matter who is on the pitch.

Good teams find a way to finish strongly and this is what I expect Unai to instil within the club.

There will be no sauntering under Unai Emery. I expect him to be demanding every minute of every game to the end of the season, no matter who is on the pitch.

Good teams find a way to finish strongly and this is what I expect Unai to instil within the club.

Oh, I am sure you are right. Still, it will be great to finish our league season without it going to the wire.

Just been reading his post match comments and concerning Leon Bailey, who's been reborn this season, he's saying he's still demanding more from him and there's more improvement to come he feels.
The bloke is an absolute perfectionist and, like the post above, the way he's taken those same players to even greater heights is nothing short of remarkable 👏