👨🏼‍💼 Ange Postecoglou - Manager Thread | Page 41 | Vital Football

👨🏼‍💼 Ange Postecoglou - Manager Thread

The game yesterday highlighted yet again an issue we have had for a very long time now............ not having a centre back who commands the air in our own penalty box. The problem is that the 'modern' game places an emphasis on having ball playing centre backs to play out from the back so when you come up against teams managed by 'old style' managers like Dyche we struggle to deal with corners, high crosses and set pieces. Our best centre back pairing of recent times was Jan and Toby but neither were good in the air, Romero is the same but VdV is better, Dragusin looks more capable aerially than Romero so it may be a case of selecting horses for courses.

Ange isn't stupid,I'm sure he's fully aware of the defensive situation,I honestly don't think he's in the Ossie camp of " we'll score more than you". He's new to the PL and learning all the time,I have full faith that he will sort it out and that we will be a force to be reckoned with. Best manager we have had in years.
100% wiv you there vinnie, so bloody obvious really.

We are not the finished article by a long shot, but we are getting there!
Mistakes/errors along the way are always part of the learning curve.

As you said Angie, 7 months in charge, is learning how tough this Prem lge is, and so is his basically young side.

Everything is goodish at the mo and in time will be great for us.

Keep the faith, we will get there! COYS

The game yesterday highlighted yet again an issue we have had for a very long time now............ not having a centre back who commands the air in our own penalty box. The problem is that the 'modern' game places an emphasis on having ball playing centre backs to play out from the back so when you come up against teams managed by 'old style' managers like Dyche we struggle to deal with corners, high crosses and set pieces. Our best centre back pairing of recent times was Jan and Toby but neither were good in the air, Romero is the same but VdV is better, Dragusin looks more capable aerially than Romero so it may be a case of selecting horses for courses.
I think Romero is a much better header of the ball than he's given credit for. At 1.85m he's not the tallest but he's got a really good spring in his step. And he's combative in the air. He wins more than his fair share.

And until recently we were the only team that hadn't conceded a goal from a corner in the PL. I don't think it's quite the problem that it's currently being presented as.

I think Romero is a much better header of the ball than he's given credit for. At 1.85m he's not the tallest but he's got a really good spring in his step. And he's combative in the air. He wins more than his fair share.

And until recently we were the only team that hadn't conceded a goal from a corner in the PL. I don't think it's quite the problem that it's currently being presented as.
You are correct there Gary in conceding from corners, think it is still only once in the League and once in the Cup, MC. COYS

Is there a negativity starting to emerge? regards Angie.

If so bloody hell give him a chance, who expected our beloved Spurs to be where we are when he first took charge 7 months ago? let me think about that!

Slowly but surely, baby steps etc, emergence/turning into a top side will not happen overnight, even Pep n Klopp needed time, mind big bucks certainly helped lol! we are getting there, learning from mistakes etc. COYS

There should be no guarantees for anybody with regards to a starting berth. As you say, the squad needs to be utilised accordingly.

I'm beginning to wonder if Ange even considers our weaknesses & our oppositions strengths at this point. It wouldn't seem so on the evidence gathered to date.

If so bloody hell give him a chance, who expected our beloved Spurs to be where we are when he first took charge 7 months ago? let me think about that!

Slowly but surely, baby steps etc, emergence/turning into a top side will not happen overnight, even Pep n Klopp needed time, mind big bucks certainly helped lol! we are getting there, learning from mistakes etc. COYS
He has the luxury of time on his side, he's earned that much in so far as he's only just arrived & has performed admirably. What i'm seeing with a large selection of his players is a constant disregard to the art of defending. It is an art & one that we've never managed to master. That looks like it may continue under Ange's stewardship, at least for the time being.

At the start of the season few would have thought we would be where we are. The harsh reality is that success breeds expectation, and having set the bar, back-sliding wil not be tolerated. The period of injuries and mispers was an understandable excuse but will not wash as the squad matures.

At the start of the season few would have thought we would be where we are. The harsh reality is that success breeds expectation, and having set the bar, back-sliding wil not be tolerated. The period of injuries and mispers was an understandable excuse but will not wash as the squad matures.
I don't want to undermine Postco's performance with us so far, just put things into a proper context. Too much is made of where we were at the end of last season. whereby the expectations for this season were under stated.
I increasingly believe that Conte, for reasons unknown to us set out to sabotage us last season, with his 'farewell speech' being the final act. Probably related to how much the Club was prepared to support him in the market, or the fact that players he wanted were unwilling to join us.
Consequently we had a dreadful season for which he was wholly responsible. The unfortunate spin off was that, even amongst Spurs fans, the expectations and assessment of us, were unrealistically lowered. We ended up last season, and started this season, being grouped with the likes of Brighton, Villa, West Ham, even Fulham.
Wrong. There are six 'big Clubs' in the PL, City, United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and ourselves. Failure for any of these Clubs to finish in the top six, is exactly that, failure. I've no doubt that that is the message Levy would have given Postco when he joined us, top six is a minimum expectation to start with, with a return to top four finishes within three seasons.
I'm sure that Postco will have been given assurances that the Club would invest accordingly to achieve these objectives, which so far it has, and so far Postco has delivered on expectations. Our season end finish will however determine whether he has successfully achieved the first milestone.

I agree with most of that but he was primarily bought for his ball playing & tackling skills in which he's outstanding.

We need to use some common sense & apply it in the heat of the moment. If an opponent is in Vic's face, a defender, any defender should ultimately place himself between them. It's not rocket science Gary, it really is that simple. I'm surprised nobody has touched upon it yet tbh.

I don't want to undermine Postco's performance with us so far, just put things into a proper context. Too much is made of where we were at the end of last season. whereby the expectations for this season were under stated.
I increasingly believe that Conte, for reasons unknown to us set out to sabotage us last season, with his 'farewell speech' being the final act. Probably related to how much the Club was prepared to support him in the market, or the fact that players he wanted were unwilling to join us.
Consequently we had a dreadful season for which he was wholly responsible. The unfortunate spin off was that, even amongst Spurs fans, the expectations and assessment of us, were unrealistically lowered. We ended up last season, and started this season, being grouped with the likes of Brighton, Villa, West Ham, even Fulham.
Wrong. There are six 'big Clubs' in the PL, City, United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and ourselves. Failure for any of these Clubs to finish in the top six, is exactly that, failure. I've no doubt that that is the message Levy would have given Postco when he joined us, top six is a minimum expectation to start with, with a return to top four finishes within three seasons.
I'm sure that Postco will have been given assurances that the Club would invest accordingly to achieve these objectives, which so far it has, and so far Postco has delivered on expectations. Our season end finish will however determine whether he has successfully achieved the first milestone.
Villa and Newcastle will challenge our right to be top 6. There will be massive anti-climax if we were don't get 5th at least from this position.

Such a great post. A winning mentality should be all the way from the owners to the very last fan. We have a chairman that has never had football in his DNA. He has passion for THFC though.

It feels like we're all starting to get that at last.

Last edited:
Me am 100% behind Angie!

No matter! the whines n groans, expectations, he and we are getting there, yes learning, coaching is on going.

After 7 months in a charge I can see we are getting our Spurs back, the longer it lasts the better.

Everyone talks about Klippity n Pep, and whisper about the Spanish Knob down the road....but I ave to ask how long did it take for them 3 to get there squads how they wanted them?

We have only just started on the same road and I am finding it very exciting, yes I get pissed, but when I calm down I think to myself what a brilliant job this so called unknown Aussie is doing, long may it last COYS

Don't think there's a negativity emerging PY mate,just think we have been let down too many times before and we are afraid to dream.I have never been so happy and excited with a manager as I am with Ange in a long time

Don't think there's a negativity emerging PY mate,just think we have been let down too many times before and we are afraid to dream.I have never been so happy and excited with a manager as I am with Ange in a long time
Thanks for that Vinnie, am wiv you as you know regards our Aussie lol!

It's just I get this probably stupid feeling in my bones! COYS

Great Post S&J mate.👍