January transfer rumours | Page 55 | Vital Football

January transfer rumours

I don't understand why it would go to a tribunal. Surely if anyone wants him,he can only go on our terms as he's still under contract. The tribunal bit only comes in if a player is out of contract and wants to leave.
I think people are discussing whether we’d get more under a tribunal were he to stay until the summer then leave if he refuses to sign a new contract.

I don't understand why it would go to a tribunal. Surely if anyone wants him,he can only go on our terms as he's still under contract. The tribunal bit only comes in if a player is out of contract and wants to leave.
I think we are talking about the news, if correct, that Jefferies is not interested in signing a new deal with us.

I therefore assumed that his current deal expires in the summer and the amount Cambridge are likely to offer now would reflect that.

Decision time?

EDIT - Lark beat me to it.

While acknowledging your omnipotent knowledge of all things in existence not too sure about this Nibbles.
If it was that formulaic then there wouldn't be a tribunal system. Just plug in the numbers and done. Clubs make presentations to the tribunal based on what they think a player is worth based on a variety of factors not purely on length of time with a club.

I thank the honourable gentleman for acknowledging my omnipotent knowledge of all things in existence.

Anyway, yeah, erm, it was a test. Well done for passing.

I believe what I said is relevant only to transfers from non league sides to EFL sides. Using all of my procrastination skills I’ve found a fairly definitive answer from the EFL handbook as per the pictures.IMG_0444.jpegIMG_0445.jpegIMG_0446.jpegIMG_0447.jpegIMG_0448.jpeg

The ‘substantiated interest’ clause may be our biggest ally should DJ move in the summer (which now looks very unlikely).

At last the club has got wise to players who want to run down their contracts and are then in a favourable position to negotiate a better signing on fee. Dont worry about the contractual side as Mr Scally will be following the Peterborough template and in the process of screwing Cambrige to the floor.

Running down a contract is negligent unless the financial reward outweighs the risk and is likely.

DJ is a promising young player who will continue to improve. He's not the finished article by any stretch, but being blunt based on his play this year, nor is he integral to this team. On paper, he's superb.

If he's leaving in the summer, we should recoup now. Same goes for anyone.

Running down a contract is negligent unless the financial reward outweighs the risk and is likely.

DJ is a promising young player who will continue to improve. He's not the finished article by any stretch, but being blunt based on his play this year, nor is he integral to this team. On paper, he's superb.

If he's leaving in the summer, we should recoup now. Same goes for anyone.
It really, really isn’t as simple as that. The financial outcomes in relation to promotion or not promotion, relegation or staying up are huge. If we had a 20 goal a season striker and he was coming to the end of a contract would we seriously be talking about offloading him and giving up on promotion ? I think not.

Your thoughts on Jefferies as a player and whether he can play at a higher level?
Probably League One, I don't see him as technically proficient enough for anything higher than that. Stands out for us thanks to his energy levels, don't see a footballer who can run a game in there though. If he isn't doing that at this level then his ceiling isn't going to be massively high. Similar to Mark Byrne maybe, that sort of level.

It really, really isn’t as simple as that. The financial outcomes in relation to promotion or not promotion, relegation or staying up are huge. If we had a 20 goal a season striker and he was coming to the end of a contract would we seriously be talking about offloading him and giving up on promotion ? I think not.

I’ll never forgive Scally for selling SBT and giving up on promotion in 1999/2000.

Probably League One, I don't see him as technically proficient enough for anything higher than that. Stands out for us thanks to his energy levels, don't see a footballer who can run a game in there though. If he isn't doing that at this level then his ceiling isn't going to be massively high. Similar to Mark Byrne maybe, that sort of level.
Yes funnily enough I was saying the other day I think the team now is missing a Mark Byrne type, a dynamic midfielder who can offer something going forward as well as having defensive attributes.
For all the praise Coleman gets, he hasn’t scored a goal yet and don’t think he’s had many assists either. Appreciate he’s mainly in the team to break up the opposition play and protect our defence, but he could do with someone else alongside him who gets up the pitch more.
Jefferies can do that on his day but is very inconsistent, and tends not to have much of an impact in away games.

He was being ironic. But you could argue that the loss of SBT cost us an automatic spot but with football, who can tell.
You could also argue that it allowed us more time to build a side that could compete at Championship level .Had we lost him late in the following summer the problem could have been far worse for Hessy.We were able to improve on our starting X1 that summer.

To be fair, I have often daydreamed about what Asaba & Taylor would have done for the Gills in the Championship (and following year in the Premier League).
Were you asleep when Asaba played for us in the Championship ? Hence the dreams ? Taylor did as well but only on loan from Wolves.

Scally rolled the dice several times (and lost). Dack being the prime example. Was it JoeScout, I think, that estimated we’d foregone £6m in transfers.