January transfer rumours | Page 54 | Vital Football

January transfer rumours

not a loss in my opinion.
Thought he was one of very few who played well vs Sheff Utd, with his driving runs from midfield, which suggested to me he could play at a higher level. Perhaps lacking a bit in technical ability, but good attitude, work rate and understanding of the game.

Thought he was one of very few who played well vs Sheff Utd, with his driving runs from midfield, which suggested to me he could play at a higher level. Perhaps lacking a bit in technical ability, but good attitude, work rate and understanding of the game.
Recent performances might well point to a player who wants to move up a level and is not ready to wait six or eighteen months. It's all very well putting in performances against Sheffield United.We need performances against the Walsall's Swindon's and Newport's of this world. Those are the key to promotion..Eithan Coleman needs someone alongside of him he can depend on in every game.

If he's no interest in signing a new deal then selling him is the blatantly obvious thing to do regardless of who it is. I fully support the Peterborough model of placing anyone entering their final year of their contract (I appreciate they normally hand out 3/4 year deals rather than our usual 1/2) on the transfer list with no delay.

I saw someone on Twitter moaning that the ONLY way for us to progress as a club is to keep hold of our best young players. With the greatest of respect to anyone who feels that way, that is pretty much the worst option in terms of building our club. Our biggest potential income source as a club is the playing staff, so much though it might seem like a 'lack of ambition' or 'a step backwards' it's really not. As a casual estimate I reckon we're about £6/7 million quid down over just the last decade or so from not selling players when we should've done.

If he's no interest in signing a new deal then selling him is the blatantly obvious thing to do regardless of who it is. I fully support the Peterborough model of placing anyone entering their final year of their contract (I appreciate they normally hand out 3/4 year deals rather than our usual 1/2) on the transfer list with no delay.

I saw someone on Twitter moaning that the ONLY way for us to progress as a club is to keep hold of our best young players. With the greatest of respect to anyone who feels that way, that is pretty much the worst option in terms of building our club. Our biggest potential income source as a club is the playing staff, so much though it might seem like a 'lack of ambition' or 'a step backwards' it's really not. As a casual estimate I reckon we're about £6/7 million quid down over just the last decade or so from not selling players when we should've done.
Your thoughts on Jefferies as a player and whether he can play at a higher level?

I agree in general, but are Cambridge likely to offer a more substantial fee than a tribunal might set?

I agree in general, but are Cambridge likely to offer a more substantial fee than a tribunal might set?
I thought the same tbh, I guess an incentive could be agreeing a sell on which we would otherwise miss out on, it could also be that we have a better play lined up to take his place, certainly hope so anyway.

Do tribunals factor sell on clauses? That could be where the money is. Especially as it was Brentford that developed him so tribunal fee would be minimal I would have thought?

Do tribunals factor sell on clauses? That could be where the money is. Especially as it was Brentford that developed him so tribunal fee would be minimal I would have thought?
If he goes in the next week as seems likely, it doesn’t really matter does it?

He was only at Brentford for a year and was released after a season in the B team. We took a kid who had never played in the league and in 18 months has 50 plus first team games under his belt and League 1 teams sniffing around. I think we can take a fair amount of credit for his development.

He was only at Brentford for a year and was released after a season in the B team. We took a kid who had never played in the league and in 18 months has 50 plus first team games under his belt and League 1 teams sniffing around. I think we can take a fair amount of credit for his development.

You put forward a good case, but I believe those points are totally irrelevant. Any fee set by a tribunal is based solely on the amount of training sessions since the age of 12. It’s very formulaic rather than based on the player’s ability / potential.

You put forward a good case, but I believe those points are totally irrelevant. Any fee set by a tribunal is based solely on the amount of training sessions since the age of 12. It’s very formulaic rather than based on the player’s ability / potential.

That doesn’t sound right.

Are you saying for example Bradley Dack at age 22 would have been worth the same as any other Gills youth player still at the club then, because they’d had the same amount of training? Despite Dack being a L1 regular destined for the Chamoionship and “other youth” still in the B team and about to fall out of the system or totter around L1 or L2?

Ability, potential, age, 1st team games and contracts offered I think would have more weight than simply amount of training.

While acknowledging your omnipotent knowledge of all things in existence not too sure about this Nibbles.
If it was that formulaic then there wouldn't be a tribunal system. Just plug in the numbers and done. Clubs make presentations to the tribunal based on what they think a player is worth based on a variety of factors not purely on length of time with a club.

While acknowledging your omnipotent knowledge of all things in existence not too sure about this Nibbles.
If it was that formulaic then there wouldn't be a tribunal system. Just plug in the numbers and done. Clubs make presentations to the tribunal based on what they think a player is worth based on a variety of factors not purely on length of time with a club.
I agree. Egan is another example. We made a hopeful presentation that he was worth £1m, but effectively got half that - £400k plus a potential extra £100k (he actually only made 67 appearances for Brentford so would have been £75k in the end) and a sell on clause:

How many of our current team that have been here 2 seasons would warrant that?

I actually seem to remember that if a player turns down a new contract offer, the amount of that offer is also factored in.

I don't understand why it would go to a tribunal. Surely if anyone wants him,he can only go on our terms as he's still under contract. The tribunal bit only comes in if a player is out of contract and wants to leave.