January transfer rumours | Page 74 | Vital Football

January transfer rumours

I broadly agree with all the comments on this page of the thread, particularly those of JoeScout, and so will post on the new thread started by OSK.

:thumbup:

I am surprised Williams is still at the club after today.

I also thought another midfielder (Lapslie) might go too.
I'm not. Easier for him to stay and earn a pretty penny from us for the rest of his contract than go unemployed until the summer with his age. Same happened with O'Keefe last January who had the option to go but stayed.

I can’t answer for him but can have a guess. Given we were in for Alfie May and close to getting him in the summer and Brad went on record about an aggressive approach to transfers, maybe he was expecting a proven goalscorer, which for me in this poor division with us just a few points from the top 7, would have assured us a playoff place.

Don’t get me wrong, the signings of Walker, Andrews and the Colombian lad are exciting, encouraging and all prospects, and certainly a refresh from the out of form Nicols, inconsistent Bonne and useless Nadesan, but none of them are proven goalscorer and could all go wrong. I hope they prove me wrong and let’s not discount further movements with 90 mins to go!

I remember last year the club announced that their business was done for the night when it was. I haven’t seen them announce that yet, so you never know!
Sorry Steve, I cannot agree with you. While I am already a big fan of Andrews (I really think he is going to set the game alight for us) in my estimation Walker has been nothing more than an utter waste of time and how people can be so taken by Hurtado goes beyond me - he came on as a substitute, looked like he was out of balanceand chasing his feet the whole time he was on the field and then got crocked. He did at least look interested during the short while he played, which is more than can be said for some of the other, more senior players.

One other thing, I would imagine he is, or will be going back to Watford (maybe for medical assistance) and his return is not a given see as Watford have high expectations of him. It would be good to see what a fit Hurtado has to offer but I fear we may have seen the last of him.

Sorry Steve, I cannot agree with you. While I am already a big fan of Andrews (I really think he is going to set the game alight for us) in my estimation Walker has been nothing more than an utter waste of time

In fairness to Steve, if he were writing that today, I imagine he'd find a few different words to describe Walker other than exciting, encouraging prospect

Nah mate - my bad. I hadn't taken into consideration that it was a very old thread and that Steve had posted his reaction earlier in the year. Sorry Steve, "mea culpa", I'll look first before climbing on the keyboard!

I now feel really daft for unwittingly responding to any of ST’s political posts without first checking whether they were pre or post WWII

In fairness to Steve, if he were writing that today, I imagine he'd find a few different words to describe Walker other than exciting, encouraging prospect
As it seems to be a rite of passage to sign a striker called Walker and both Harris and Clemence have had their turns, I note that Des's other son, Tyler, rejoined Lincoln on a two year deal last summer but has only made 6 appearances due to a persistent hamstring problem. not registering a goal for them so far.

Almost TOO tempting for Bonner, isn't it?

As it seems to be a rite of passage to sign a striker called Walker and both Harris and Clemence have had their turns, I note that Des's other son, Tyler, rejoined Lincoln on a two year deal last summer but has only made 6 appearances due to a persistent hamstring problem. not registering a goal for them so far.

Almost TOO tempting for Bonner, isn't it?
That is just downright mean GBN..... suggesting we get a third Walker at the club within a year would be just too much for an average Gills fan to cope with, much like a third Williams as well....

Not a rumour and based on nothing substantial but if I was the Gills team, I'd be on the phone to Blackburn Rovers to enquire about a season loan for Dilan Markanday.

Rovers bought him for about half a million in 2022 from Tottenham but it just hasn't worked out for him yet with a lot of competition for places. He's a London boy, still only 22, with dynamic movement, pacey, great feet (but left sided naturally) and loves to get forward. He's only small and quite slight, though, which might go against him, but he's so talented and needs a regular spell of games if he's going to realise his potential at a higher level. It's pretty clear he won't get it at Ewood right now and a full season loan might be perfect for all parties - BR, Gills and himself. Started 7 games last year in the Championship.

He was a revelation in PL2 a few years back, is exactly the sort of player who'd get Gills fans out of their seats and would make space for others - a defender's nightmare. If we're looking for wide players who will get in behind, he's perfect for it and a L2 spell would be ideal, imo.