🚹 Brennan Johnson - Player Thread | Page 5 | Vital Football

🚹 Brennan Johnson - Player Thread

With Johnson , it is a minority that seem to want to slag him off .

Nobody becomes a bad player player over a couple of games .

It is obvious we have had to overplay him , there hasn’t been a chance to rotate him .
His injury has held him back . The cut on his head didn’t do him a lot of good either .

Sadly , the mantra of “what doesn’t kill you , will make you stronger “ will probably apply here .

He will become a force for us , we just have to give him time …

I know others have cited other players that have taken time to settle in , Bale , Modric , etc .

Does anybody remember a certain Pat Jennings when he first signed for us .

He could not do a thing right for months , couldn’t catch a cross , couldn’t save a shot , he was awful .

Luckily , he didn’t have unsocial media to contend with .
Walt love it, that scenario where our Pat is concerned is only for the Oldies amongst us! lol!

The younger "Key board dickheads" will not understand! as they only know of him through the Oldies lol! COYS

Hi folks
Re BJ
I dunno, but it's a long time, since I've seen a player take a Cross field ball from the air an straight into his stride, this lad is brilliant at it, just watch when it happens he's fantastic.. The other stuff is coming.
Hi SP
I know it's not for this thread, but I've constantly maintained that there are always 84 people who deserve a slap, now these 84 change from time to time, but it's always 84.
Infact I maintained this position so often, that my mates, said to me, I suppose he's one of your 84
You can use that one chum..

Hi folks
Re BJ
I dunno, but it's a long time, since I've seen a player take a Cross field ball from the air an straight into his stride, this lad is brilliant at it, just watch when it happens he's fantastic..
I remember him taking a cross-field ball in the NLD, and he hit his attempted shot against his standing foot; it took the pace off and allowed Raya to save it. That doesn't fit any description of fantastic.

He's stopping all social media activity as after the manure game the levels of abuse supposedly from 'Spurs' fans and Spurs 'fans' accounts was overwhelming.

Yep. That's some of our fan base for you. Hasn't been with us 5 mins, and already he's being told he's shit, not good enough and a disgrace to the badge. Every fan has the right to an opinion, but to go out of your way to directly attack our of our own on their social media, sickens me.

Our Spurs fans did the same with Modders all those years ago, only it was his facebook stuff he was abused on. I can only hope for the same outcome.
:shake:
This 100%

To top it off, the lad may / probably will turn into a top, top class winger and decide to head off to pastures new at the end of his contract and those same fans will be questioning his commitment to the club.

These things work both ways.

Hi folks
Re BJ
I dunno, but it's a long time, since I've seen a player take a Cross field ball from the air an straight into his stride, this lad is brilliant at it, just watch when it happens he's fantastic.. The other stuff is coming.
Hi SP
I know it's not for this thread, but I've constantly maintained that there are always 84 people who deserve a slap, now these 84 change from time to time, but it's always 84.
Infact I maintained this position so often, that my mates, said to me, I suppose he's one of your 84
lol... the 84, sounds like a sci-fi show.

Thanks Niall, i'll take on the mantle. The 84 it is then.

If he has getting aggro on his personal social media then that sucks. But I guess so many 'names' get that from idiots on a daily basis so not surprised, even though I disagree with it.
As for the player IMO I haven't seen enough from him to make me feel he is going to be anything but a bit part sub once we have everyone available. Yes it is early days ish, but he just seems too lightweight, I've seen nothing on even a semi consistent basis that fills me with confidence about him and I just can't see how he will be a starter with everyone back, then he will have even less match time to prove/improve himself. I would love to be wrong....

If he has getting aggro on his personal social media then that sucks. But I guess so many 'names' get that from idiots on a daily basis so not surprised, even though I disagree with it.
As for the player IMO I haven't seen enough from him to make me feel he is going to be anything but a bit part sub once we have everyone available. Yes it is early days ish, but he just seems too lightweight, I've seen nothing on even a semi consistent basis that fills me with confidence about him and I just can't see how he will be a starter with everyone back, then he will have even less match time to prove/improve himself. I would love to be wrong....

When you think about it, are any of our 6 forwards starters? I can build a case for every one of them to be sitting on that bench, including the captain.

Our strength is actually the collective. They all know their roles and they all fit into a system. They are also easily interchangeable.

Typically, games are now between 95 and 100 mins and we'll soon have 5 or 6 forwards in one match day squad. I guess that's better than the last 5-8 years when we only ever had a couple.

I'm actually looking forward to learn more about Solomon. I can imagine being a full back and having Werner, Son or BJ running at me all game and then Manor comes off the bench. It will be relentless. Same applies if you start Solomon and BJ replaces him after 65 mins.

Unlike some, I think it will help BJ having all the gang back together and him spending time either as sub or being subbed.

Difficult to imagine what someone so young must be going through in that instance. It's a sad state of affairs where nameless pricks abuse anyone, never mind one of their own.

Every day i leave the house i acknowledge the fact that i'm going to meet an asshole today. Usually but not always it's more than one. Case in point, it's no different for the average Joe who has to wade through so many assholes in life, just in order to get by.
There's a phrase from a TV show called Justified:

If you leave the house and meet an ass hole, you've met an ass hole. If you keep meeting ass holes every time you leave the house... '

😜

Only joking, I used to work with the public for the first 17 years or so of my working life, certainly understand how challenging people could be!

When you think about it, are any of our 6 forwards starters? I can build a case for every one of them to be sitting on that bench, including the captain.

Our strength is actually the collective. They all know their roles and they all fit into a system. They are also easily interchangeable.

Typically, games are now between 95 and 100 mins and we'll soon have 5 or 6 forwards in one match day squad. I guess that's better than the last 5-8 years when we only ever had a couple.

I'm actually looking forward to learn more about Solomon. I can imagine being a full back and having Werner, Son or BJ running at me all game and then Manor comes off the bench. It will be relentless. Same applies if you start Solomon and BJ replaces him after 65 mins.

Unlike some, I think it will help BJ having all the gang back together and him spending time either as sub or being subbed.
I'd argue that Werner and Son are definitely starters when they have their shooting boots on! Son would definitely get into any team, Werner maybe not.

I think there's a good case for Kulu when he's on form too, purely on the basis that he works so hard and comes up with important moments rather than bagging the 4th goal in a 4-0 win.

Great Post. I think our first 11 is top draw until you get to the front three, then a drop off in quality is very evident.

We look disjointed. The best I have seen us this season was with Solomon on the left, Son down the middle off the shoulder, I Kulu was right, Maddison pulling the strings as the 10.

I have said before if not for injuries BJ would have been a super sub. Which would suit him and the team better.

I'm still not sure he has that natural RW ability in a high press. He looked good in a counter attacking system but they are two different positions entirely. His best work looks like when he ghosts more central.

I'd argue that Werner and Son are definitely starters when they have their shooting boots on! Son would definitely get into any team, Werner maybe not.

I think there's a good case for Kulu when he's on form too, purely on the basis that he works so hard and comes up with important moments rather than bagging the 4th goal in a 4-0 win.

Agree with what you say. Just wanted to mention the last time Son sat on the bench and came on.......he got a hat trick. There is zero shame in being on the subs bench IF it means taking advantage for the benefit of the team. We have a set of forwards and none of them should be regarded as starters imo

Great Post. I think our first 11 is top draw until you get to the front three, then a drop off in quality is very evident.

We look disjointed. The best I have seen us this season was with Solomon on the left, Son down the middle off the shoulder, I Kulu was right, Maddison pulling the strings as the 10.

I have said before if not for injuries BJ would have been a super sub. Which would suit him and the team better.

I'm still not sure he has that natural RW ability in a high press. He looked good in a counter attacking system but they are two different positions entirely. His best work looks like when he ghosts more central.
If we hadn't had so many injuries in his early days, my bet is we would have sent more time working with him on the training pitch and giving him more time to settle in.

The dynamism and flexibility of our attacking play makes us highly effective going forward, but in Angeball there are key principles guiding it. As Ange himself said back in early August when he was being interview on this (and I quote), this was back in August not long after he started:

“We are very structured, but hopefully it doesn’t look that way,”
What is a rigid structure looks very fluid because guys understand that as long as there is movement out there — they are looking for spaces and other guys are filling the spaces they leave — it doesn’t really matter where they pop up or where they go."

His point was that we overload when attacking from multiple directions and using multiple tactics - it at times looks like we overplay and I've found it hard at times, to not call it exactly as that. But back to Ange again:

“But there is a discipline within that. It’s not just about sort of running anywhere, it’s about going to the areas where we work on constantly. If it looks fluid, that makes us harder to stop.”

Basically, this makes it crystal clear that the sum of the parts is far greater than the individual players, hence why Johnson as such doesn't have to be an all action, speedy winger - he has one of the best records for defensive actions as well. That's the Ange system.

The swift transformation of our play from being a rigid team in the final third last season under Cunte into a flexible moving fluid unit into this one is a testament to the players, the coaching staff and of course Ange - So in short much of the criticism of our attacking unit is ill judged and not supported by the stats or the outcome.

If we have any critical weakness it is of course Maddison as he's the ring master and losing him for 3 months has hit us where it hurts, but it's also amazing to me how Ange sticking to his guns, apart from one awful 3-4 game run has shown us exactly what his system can deliver.

Johnson mustn't be made a scapegoat for having to be more heavily relied upon than was probably originally intended.

Last edited:
There's a phrase from a TV show called Justified:

If you leave the house and meet an ass hole, you've met an ass hole. If you keep meeting ass holes every time you leave the house... '

😜

Only joking, I used to work with the public for the first 17 years or so of my working life, certainly understand how challenging people could be!
Here's an example of the Public! tlc, my daughter the Optician, Apprenticeship of 7 years incl 7 years University, 15 years working wiv the public, came into me and her mum one day and said "that's it I've jacked it in, so I am becoming a Rep for a Glasses/Optics Company, less money/pay but am happier"

Me n mum gobsmacked said "what after all the training/learning you have done"

Her reply was "am bloody sick and tired of the public questioning everything I do or say, even if I suggest cheaper frames that look better on! for me, if they know better than me, why the hell did I go through that 7 years of hell n nout real wages"

Think that encapsulates today's public.

By the way she is doing very well working (3 years) for "Wolf Optics" and now has a large group of customers, Opticians etc, and is very happy in her work, but as she says "not having to deal wiv the Public makes it all worth while.

Hi folks
Re BJ
Hi SP

He absolutely destroyed Gvardiol in the Man City game when he took a cross field ball into his path. His pace was frightening in that moment and his cross was good, not perfect, but Dias had to defend well to stop it.

I'm finding that the biggest issue with the perception of Brennan is he is getting compared to Bale because of the Welsh connection. That really isn't fair. Bale was beyond special and can easily be categorised with the likes of Ronaldo and Messi in terms of ability. Brennan is a completely different type of player.

He absolutely destroyed Gvardiol in the Man City game when he took a cross field ball into his path. His pace was frightening in that moment and his cross was good, not perfect, but Dias had to defend well to stop it.

I'm finding that the biggest issue with the perception of Brennan is he is getting compared to Bale because of the Welsh connection. That really isn't fair. Bale was beyond special and can easily be categorised with the likes of Ronaldo and Messi in terms of ability. Brennan is a completely different type of player.
Whoever made that comparison is just silly.

The dynamism and flexibility of our attacking play makes us highly effective going forward, but in Angeball there are key principles guiding it. As Ange himself said back in early August when he was being interview on this (and I quote), this was back in August not long after he started:

“We are very structured, but hopefully it doesn’t look that way,”
What is a rigid structure looks very fluid because guys understand that as long as there is movement out there — they are looking for spaces and other guys are filling the spaces they leave — it doesn’t really matter where they pop up or where they go."

His point was that we overload when attacking from multiple directions and using multiple tactics - it at times looks like we overplay and I've found it hard at times, to not call it exactly as that. But back to Ange again:

“But there is a discipline within that. It’s not just about sort of running anywhere, it’s about going to the areas where we work on constantly. If it looks fluid, that makes us harder to stop.”

Basically, this makes it crystal clear that the sum of the parts is far greater than the individual players, hence why Johnson as such doesn't have to be an all action, speedy winger - he has one of the best records for defensive actions as well. That's the Ange system.

The swift transformation of our play from being a rigid team in the final third last season under Cunte into a flexible moving fluid unit into this one is a testament to the players, the coaching staff and of course Ange - So in short much of the criticism of our attacking unit is ill judge and not supported by the stats or the outcome, if we have any critical weakness it is of course Maddison as he's teh ring master and losing him for 3 months has hit us where it hurts, but it's also amazing to me how Ange sticking to his guns, apart from one awful 3-4 game run has shown us exactly what his system can deliver.

Johnson mustn't be made a scapegoat for having to be more heavily relied upon than was probably originally intended.
Our tactical domination also worked for three of the four games in our 'awful run' of results; what let us down was madness in one game and incompetence of forwards for two of the others. Ange has also commented that we need to be better and more clinical with our finishing. Johnson, thus far, is working from too low of a baseline skill level; it is adding too much onus onto our other attackers. I agree with Total that he won't be a starter when everyone is fit.

Who in their right minds compares the two...BJ and Bale.

I know I said that slagging players off in their early days was wrong, giving Bale and Modric as examples, but that isn't saying BJ is as good as those two.

Give the lad a chance! COYS