Summer Transfer Thread | Page 100 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Thread

I thought there would be one more when they announced Godo so early. But this is still quite early, if Rekik was the last one I'd have expected him saved until closer to deadline.

So maybe one more still in the works?

You're greedy. 😉

I think a natural no10 is probably the last 'profile' we are missing to have all bases covered. But if we can find someone who fits the bill, wants to come, we can afford and is on a free in the next couple of hours is the tricky bit.

Fingers crossed but if not we certainly can't complain, considering the off field carnage and EFL punishments that we've been dealing with this summer we've recruited as well as you could've realistically hoped.

I think a natural no10 is probably the last 'profile' we are missing to have all bases covered. But if we can find someone who fits the bill, wants to come, we can afford and is on a free in the next couple of hours is the tricky bit.

Fingers crossed but if not we certainly can't complain, considering the off field carnage and EFL punishments that we've been dealing with this summer we've recruited as well as you could've realistically hoped.
With Smith and Godo (not forgetting Mcmanaman and Jones) as genuine left wingers, I wonder if Thelo is the No 10?.

I do think we are light at no 10 and I would have liked another striker

Looking at the senior squad, obviously some players can play in multiple positions and there are some other youngsters who could come in if we have an injury crisis but it looks something a bit like this going into the last couple of hours of the window.

Keepers
Tickle
Amos

Left backs
Pearce

Right Backs
Clare
Sessegnon

Centre Backs
Hughes
Watts
Morrison
Rekik
Kerr

Centre Mids
M Smith
Adeeko
S Smith
Balagizi
Shaw

Right Wing
Humphrys
J Smith

Left Wing
McManaman
Aasgaard
Gado
Jones

Centre Attacking Mid
Lang
Sze

Strikers
Wyke
Magennis
Stones
Rekik is a class signing because not only is he an excellent centre back, he gives cover at full back and potentially is the cover for Matty Smith should he miss a game.

With Smith and Godo (not forgetting Mcmanaman and Jones) as genuine left wingers, I wonder if Thelo is the No 10?.

I think Aasgaard could be, maybe Humphrys, Balagizi or even Godo. But since non of them have ever played there for us yet it's tricky to know. But if we don't bring anyone in we certainly have options to try out.

Maloney clearly likes Lang as the no10, so he's probably hoping he can adapt to the role over time too.

Could well be that the reason Liverpool turned down the £200m for Salah is that Mo feels he could be a natural fit in the no10 at Wigan like he does for Egypt 🤔🤔😏....
You heard it here first.........

I can see us moving to playing a back 3 more as the season goes on. Rekik has a bit of pace so can get back if teams try to get in behind us. At home I think it could work better as we’d have that extra man against teams trying to hit us on the break but we can still have plenty of players in attacking positions. We’ve got wingbacks who offer a threat going forwards too which we didn’t have for the last couple of seasons.

There's no way Rekik has come to sit on tbe bench so do wonder if that changes our plans moving forward and we'll go back to a back 3 like last season.

When you look at the stats we are averaging conceded the most shots per game - just under 18 per 90 mins which is near double some of the top sides. No matter how good you are if you are giving the opposition that many shots per game it's probably going to bite you on law of averages alone.

We've also been giving the opposition so much time and space in wide areas to get crosses in unchallenged. So it wouldn't shock me if Maloney is thinking of moving to wing backs to try and tighten all of that up and having overlapping centre backs.

Not sure if it was mentioned on here but Lloyd has gone out on loan to a Northern Ireland club and Brennan to a Welsh club.

Some may say it's not as high a level as you'd ideally like. But it's far better they are out playing competitive senior football than playing u21 football against other kids.

Not sure if it was mentioned on here but Lloyd has gone out on loan to a Northern Ireland club and Brennan to a Welsh club.

Some may say it's not as high a level as you'd ideally like. But it's far better they are out playing competitive senior football than playing u21 football against other kids.
It's good player management ... just like those coming to us.

Shaw and Balagizi are on loan but haven’t featured much so far. I know it’s early and they probably aren’t match fit but perhaps they haven’t impressed as much as Maloney would’ve hoped which has given Adeeko his chance. Maybe Rekik has come in as he can play in CM as well as centre half.

At the moment I’d have this as our strongest first XI and would go with a back 3.

Tickle

Hughes
Morrison
Rekik

Clare/Sessegnon
M Smith
Adeeko
Pearce

Lang

Humphrys
Wyke

Balagizi looked crap against Wrexham but he fills a position in which we are short so it might not be him who doesn't get in the squad. Watts and Rekik are essentially battling for one spot as both are LCBs. It would be nice to get an update on Jason Kerr's injury status.

We'll be in big trouble if Wyke or Matt Smith get injured, but every other position is essentially covered fine. I don't mind being light at number ten as we'll just change formation and go 3-4-3.

Thank god Shaun Maloney appreciates the importance of pacy wingers who can take their full-backs on. I suspect we'll enjoy the Fulham lad if that's his MO, those kind of players always end up being popular here.