Charles Vernam signs | Vital Football

Charles Vernam signs

Not exactly a secret this one. Sounds like a versatile option for the front three who might rotate with Scully a bit, unless he is going to play on the right? I am expecting a lot of bitterness from the Bradford side having hoovered up a couple of their players...do they have a defensive midfielder available?

Also not quite sure what to think about signing someone who started at my school about the time I left :lol: but he was having trials with AC Milan at that point!

About a 1 in 5 ratio on the wing. Like all new signings, shall be interested to see what we will be getting with Vernam.

He hasn't got many games under his belt for a 25 year old. I hope that isn't due to injury.

I think initially he didn't break through at Derby, played a fair bit at the Cods, was only at Burton for 6 months but definitely had injuries last season (as he came back after them and played well).

He was Caistor based so I think Scunthorpe and Grimsby were always closer and easier for him.
And Scunthorpe were around league 1/championship level at the time… our academy was?? L2/national league level. A lot has changed since then…

We don't have money to throw around like some of the usual suspects. So we have to use our transfer funds wisely. That is rwo signings of out of contract players who look really decent signings. Very astute signings if you ask me.

Or equally, 2 signings that might suggest we are in for a long hard season. Time will tell.

I've said that if you sign enough league 2 and non league players that inevitably is what you become. It's a fine balancing act and can go either way.

To be fair from the absolute limited times I have watched Vernam he has impressed me.
He likes to get on the ball and is quite tricky.

Having had a few clubs now that tells me he suffers from having the consistancy to push his career on because he definitely has the talent.

The thing is you can't afford to have players who only turn up in one in every three or four games or your only going one way.

Hopefully it clicks for him here and our coaching team can get the very best of his potential out of him.

I've said that if you sign enough league 2 and non league players that inevitably is what you become. It's a fine balancing act and can go either way.

To be fair from the absolute limited times I have watched Vernam he has impressed me.
He likes to get on the ball and is quite tricky.

Having had a few clubs now that tells me he suffers from having the consistancy to push his career on because he definitely has the talent.

The thing is you can't afford to have players who only turn up in one in every three or four games or your only going one way.

Hopefully it clicks for him here and our coaching team can get the very best of his potential out of him.

So, from memory our recent permanent signings have been 2 out of contract players from Bradford, a 3rd choice keeper from Forest, Ben House from Eastleigh and Charley Kendall from Eastbourne. I know we are looking for value and looking for players we can improve, but I’m worried that unless we complement these with some seasoned quality pros that we will really struggle. Let’s not forget we have a rookie coach too.

So, from memory our recent permanent signings have been 2 out of contract players from Bradford, a 3rd choice keeper from Forest, Ben House from Eastleigh and Charley Kendall from Eastbourne. I know we are looking for value and looking for players we can improve, but I’m worried that unless we complement these with some seasoned quality pros that we will really struggle. Let’s not forget we have a rookie coach too.

Expect some decent pedigree loans will come in to help with the squad, we do need some experience and extra quality from somewhere though.

Some on here seem slightly underwhelmed. Crystal ball time. They may well turn out to be right, but I prefer to not judge anyone until we’ve gone through 10- 15 games by which time the preferred team should be taking shape and we have something of an idea about how good (or otherwise) everyone is. I think everyone deserves that opportunity. UTI 👍