Charles Vernam signs | Page 2 | Vital Football

Charles Vernam signs

The fan base of ‘Bradford Are Massive Football Club’ are in bewilderment once again that a player is choosing to go to a club in the league above them
Utter confusion that they aren’t playing Man City next season and have to play Barrow despite selling a gazillion STs and have Mark Hughes as manager

I've said that if you sign enough league 2 and non league players that inevitably is what you become. It's a fine balancing act and can go either way.

To be fair from the absolute limited times I have watched Vernam he has impressed me.
He likes to get on the ball and is quite tricky.

Having had a few clubs now that tells me he suffers from having the consistancy to push his career on because he definitely has the talent.

The thing is you can't afford to have players who only turn up in one in every three or four games or your only going one way.

Hopefully it clicks for him here and our coaching team can get the very best of his potential out of him.

Accrington have done alright with some of their signings from non- league. I know we should be aspiring to greater heights than them.

Or equally, 2 signings that might suggest we are in for a long hard season. Time will tell.

but we have always signed players that have not turned out to be what they wanted - look at the players Appleton rejected some of them came from a higher league then us. There are good players and bad players in all leagues. Who would you rather put in the team a chap who AFC Bradford wanted to keep or Chris Maguire? The new chap cant be any worse!

If we have a squad of 22 players some of them will over achieve some will under. as as long as we win football matches who cares.

Looking forward to seeing him!

A lot of people concerned with signing lower league players, but sometimes you get more grit and determination from them as well as the talent.

This signing surely means Adelakun leaving, unless we expect to be offered a fee for Scully at some stage?

We desperately need some midfielders coming in next - and Maguire to take a step up a division to Blackppol.

This signing surely means Adelakun leaving, unless we expect to be offered a fee for Scully at some stage?

We desperately need some midfielders coming in next - and Maguire to take a step up a division to Blackppol.
I don’t think so. If we want to play wingers we now have 3 plus whatever Maguire is.

I seem to recall us trawling the 'lower' leagues for players 20 years ago and coming up with quite a few gems in Yeo, Butcher, Futcher, Bailey, Weaver etc....so the suggestion that you sign players from that level that's where you end up is a little short sighted.
Interesting that Vernam has been linked as a signing for at least the last two years and possibly longer which suggests he's very much a Jez George suggestion or our leaders just read this forum for ideas.
Welcome Charles.
That'll have to be Charlie in due course. Bit posh for us

Kennedy said O'Connor was our first choice at CB and Vernam has been linked for ages, so definitely doesn't seem like we've been bounced into lower choice targets.

Kennedy said O'Connor was our first choice at CB and Vernam has been linked for ages, so definitely doesn't seem like we've been bounced into lower choice targets.

Although Kennedy was unlikely to say that POC was actually our 8th choice and the only one who’d sign for a subscription to Razzle and a box of quavers!

I seem to recall us trawling the 'lower' leagues for players 20 years ago and coming up with quite a few gems in Yeo, Butcher, Futcher, Bailey, Weaver etc....so the suggestion that you sign players from that level that's where you end up is a little short sighted.
Interesting that Vernam has been linked as a signing for at least the last two years and possibly longer which suggests he's very much a Jez George suggestion or our leaders just read this forum for ideas.
Welcome Charles.
That'll have to be Charlie in due course. Bit posh for us
Agreed, I tend to think of players like Mick Harford, Tony Cunningham, Trevor Peake, all from non league clubs who went on to better things/play at a higher level

Agreed, I tend to think of players like Mick Harford, Tony Cunningham, Trevor Peake, all from non league clubs who went on to better things/play at a higher level

Don't forget Steve Thompson who was nearly 25 when he signed from Boston United a year or so after Peake and Cunningham.

Not sure you could include Mick Harford who joined from a boys' club team.

Although Kennedy was unlikely to say that POC was actually our 8th choice and the only one who’d sign for a subscription to Razzle and a box of quavers!

I know he wouldn't say that but it seems a weird thing to mention if he wasn't actually. I don't think it's how Mapp described some of the signings last summer... like N'Lundulu was we've signed this raw player who might have a bit of a part to play but we still need a bunch more players!

I know he wouldn't say that but it seems a weird thing to mention if he wasn't actually. I don't think it's how Mapp described some of the signings last summer... like N'Lundulu was we've signed this raw player who might have a bit of a part to play but we still need a bunch more players!

True. Although I’d be surprised if MK really knew anything about POC. Feels very much like a transfer driven by Jez.

Don't forget Steve Thompson who was nearly 25 when he signed from Boston United a year or so after Peake and Cunningham.

Not sure you could include Mick Harford who joined from a boys' club team.
Thanks, yes, missed ST. Hadn't appreciated that MH hadn't been playing mens' football

Upset of their fans says a lot. Clearly he has some talent.

Wonder if we fancy hat trick and will try sign Elliot Watt as well from them? Highly rated young midfielder.

Second Jezzy George signing of the summer. Looks like we are getting to the bottom of why the wee crab apple dropped players like plum stones and talked about a major overhaul required before leaving.

The sort of signing where if you just looked at his stats then you’d roll your eyes.

However, every time I’ve watched him, I’ve been impressed.

There’s no reason why Kennedy can’t improve Vernam’s end product.

Good signing.