Charles Vernam signs | Page 3 | Vital Football

Charles Vernam signs

Second Jezzy George signing of the summer. Looks like we are getting to the bottom of why the wee crab apple dropped players like plum stones and talked about a major overhaul required before leaving.

Important season for Jez. The board will now find out whether some of last summer's signing were poor, or whether it was just that MA didn't rate them and froze them out.

Thee board clearly thought it was the latter with the complete change of staff behind the scenes - except for recruitment.

Personally I think Jez and co are well up to the job, and the two Bradford City signings will have been well researched and prove to be assets.

Gotta love one comment...........' if he wants to play in front of 9,000 crowd and under an inexperienced coach, instead of 15.000 and MARK 'WHAT HAVE I EVER ACCIEVED AS A COACH' HUGHES in division TWO!!!!!. Jeez this lot still think there in the top flight!
Someone should point out he will be playing in front of up to 30,000 at some matches and when he does play in front of 9,000 at Sincil bank it will be in front of an atmosphere Bradford can only dream about.

Do Bratford still let that clown with the bowler hat behave like a performing monkey at their matches?

As for Vernam I know he was Grimsby's "best" player for a while although not sure what the competition amounted to. If he has done well at Bratford as well he has certainly earned a go in League 1. Could be a really useful player either side of a central striker

Thanks, yes, missed ST. Hadn't appreciated that MH hadn't been playing mens' football

Mick Harford was one of a quartet of 18-year-olds who played for Lambton Street Boys Club in Sunderland. The story goes that they were originally spotted by a friend of the Sunderland-born Alan Harding and recommended to the club.

The other three were Alan Eden, Keith Laybourne (neither of whom exactly set Sincil Bank alight) and Mick Smith who went on to do pretty well, although not quite in the Trevor Peake class.

Hey look I'm all for giving the new management a fair crack of the whip and I seriously hope they come good. But if you sign league 2 players that is where you are going to end up.

Playing for his local team will give Charles that extra determination to do well, particularly with his family members in the stands. This is a good move for both player and club. Now the focus of recruitment to turn to our midfield needs.

Hey look I'm all for giving the new management a fair crack of the whip and I seriously hope they come good. But if you sign league 2 players that is where you are going to end up.

not sure I agree as you have to start somewhere. Ian Wright Steve Claridge Jamie Vardy Dion Dublin I am sure there are more.

Cowley signed a first team of cast offs and never have beens and they did alright.

Last edited:
Whether the two Bradford lads tick every box we need and can cut it at L1 level we don't know, but they certainly tick some of the boxes that we didn't have last season.

O'Connor - seems to be available for more than 20 games a season, aerially dominant and sounds like he actually likes defending.

Vernam - tricky and a ball carrier to get us up the pitch.

So when we bought Bruno Andrade from Non League Boreham Wood, he dragged us back into the National League?

Although I have a vague memory of someone scoring a goal at MK Don's which took is in the opposite direction.

Players often improve or reach their expected level in time.

O'Connor and Vernam were both with clubs in the Championship earlier in their careers.

So perhaps we have signed players destined to return to the Championship?

I do often wonder why some people even bother commenting on things when they have absolutely nothing positive to say.

Have some faith in the scouting team, the DoF and the manager. You make it sound like we are just signing players for the sake of signing them, and that no real research etc has been put into it.

The funniest part of this is that they are bigging up having Mark Hughes as Manager. As a player I rated him highly a very powerful yet skillful striker one of the best of his type at the time.
Because of his record as a player this got him some jobs as Manager of some big spending premier league clubs. And spend he certainly did with relish. With the odd exception the majority of signings he made at a succession of premier league clubs were flops. Now somebody may correct me but I don't believe he has actually won any of the clubs he has managed any trophies. So in the end he has ended up at an average league two club probably on the merit of his lousy management record. LOL 🤣