Fasten your seatbelts........ | Vital Football

Fasten your seatbelts........

Two things....he didn't mention Arsenal :rofl: and it's time to think about how we fit into the league as things are and with a full season of Conte ahead.

Although it's expected, I still celebrate every season we finish above Arsenal. Arsenal fans hate it more than anything else; I love it as it continues to bang nails into their European dreams and finances..

It's our 6th straight season of doing it. We own North London.

Last edited:
The top 2 are so close. If we are gunning for 2nd, might as well go for 1st.

I think one of those two will falter slightly and create an opening.

United competing for top 4 next season? There are bigger problems at United than just finding the right manager.

Chelsea has ownership issues, TBF, Abramovich has shown he really does care about the club but the new ownership's immediate approach has yet to be seen.

Newcastle will be pushing for a European spot next season.

Despite my keen dislike of Rodgers, I cannot see Leicester continuing down the Vardy route. They need to balance their squad and if Rodgers is allowed to stay then he will likely move them up the table as well by doing just that.

I don't see the top two pulling down the points so easily as this year either. 4 more wins, which Conte likely would have achieved, would have seen us in the 80 point range.

We aren't that far away.

Everything depends on what we do with squad depth this summer.
Conte has to shake of a reputation in English football - that he performs better as a manager when he has a full week to prepare. If we back him and get some decent depth, I have confidence that we will be in the mix.

But...

The WC being mid-season has potential to be a total pain and cause a lot of issues.

Last edited:
Conte has to shake of a reputation in English football - that he performs better as a manager when he has a full week to prepare. If we back him and get some decent depth, I have confidence that we will be in the mix.

But...

The WC being mid-table has potential to be a total pain and cause a lot of issues.

Level playing field though so........

Two things....he didn't mention Arsenal :rofl: and it's time to think about how we fit into the league as things are and with a full season of Conte ahead.
He should have mentioned Arsenal. I'd have them finishing above United next season. A lot will depend on the quality of the forward(s) they sign in the summer. They finished two points behind us without one decent forward. Saka (11 goals) and Smith Rowe (10 goals) were their top scorers. They have some very good players already.

He should have mentioned Arsenal. I'd have them finishing above United next season. A lot will depend on the quality of the forward(s) they sign in the summer. They finished two points behind us without one decent forward. Saka (11 goals) and Smith Rowe (10 goals) were their top scorers. They have some very good players already.

I don't think anyone takes Arteta seriously yet.

I was surprised they didn't try Martinelli as a main striker, he has shown good skills and a maturity beyond his years since he joined them.

But...

The WC being mid-table has potential to be a total pain and cause a lot of issues.

The WC could disrupt absolutely everything; starting a week early, a near as 6 week break for the world cup starting end of November and then straight back into it on Dec 26th - it's a mad, bad schedule.

Injuries and fatigue could turn the 22-23 season upside down.

This season we effectively competed for half of it with a 14 man squad - next season everyone will be allowed 5 subs..

We will need a much bigger squad - buying quality to trump quantity will be a huge task...

Personally, I think for where we are squad-wise, unless we make 6 -8 spectacular signings (which I don't expect) we will be challenged more than our Top 4 competition, who in the main, already have bigger squads and deeper pockets to call upon...

Managing a CL campaign and getting to the knock-out rounds and fighting for a top 4 finish is a huge challenge, bigger than many think.

A couple of key injuries probably derailed them..

Arteta has been at Arsenal for 2 and half seasons. They have yet to make top 4. 8th, 8th and 5th.

Whereas over the same period we were 6th, 7th and 4th with zero stability.

Arteta has been at Arsenal for 2 and half seasons. They have yet to make top 4. 8th, 8th and 5th.

Whereas over the same period we were 6th, 7th and 4th with zero stability.
I wasn't making a direct comparison with us. I was suggesting that Tuchel was wrong to leave them out of the equation.

Since Arteta joined the club they've been through a massive upheaval of staff on and off the pitch. They're only now beginning to see benefits of that turnover.

I don't know how good (or otherwise) Arteta will be. He did win an FA Cup in his first season though beating City in the semis and Chelsea in the final.

I've watched Arsenal a lot this season and in the main they've been good. At times very good. But like us they don't have squad depth. And they've made a few stupid decisions like going into the second half of the season with only 3 CBs. And not strengthening in the January window.

I think it would be a mistake to underestimate them.

The WC could disrupt absolutely everything; starting a week early, a near as 6 week break for the world cup starting end of November and then straight back into it on Dec 26th - it's a mad, bad schedule.

Injuries and fatigue could turn the 22-23 season upside down.

This season we effectively competed for half of it with a 14 man squad - next season everyone will be allowed 5 subs..

We will need a much bigger squad - buying quality to trump quantity will be a huge task...

Personally, I think for where we are squad-wise, unless we make 6 -8 spectacular signings (which I don't expect) we will be challenged more than our Top 4 competition, who in the main, already have bigger squads and deeper pockets to call upon...

Managing a CL campaign and getting to the knock-out rounds and fighting for a top 4 finish is a huge challenge, bigger than many think.

The 5 subs thing COULD actually end up being better for teams who don't have large parts of their squads playing in the WC. Like you say, I think injuries and fatigue will be a huge problem for a lot of teams this season. It is absolute madness that it is going ahead.

I don't see them as a threat next season if I'm honest, they will undoubtedly spend in the summer and they have some promising youngsters who will be a year older.
But if you look at our stats since Conte took over in November and project those over a full season, we would be comfortably ahead of them.
Factor in the fact that we should be able to bring in better quality players, this should keep us comfortably ahead of them.
They also had no European football last season a fact which seems to have been overlooked by many, next season they will be in the Europa league. As we well know, that league is a killer.
I think they will struggle next season, I don't see M.U. being a major threat either. They have a lot of expensive deadwood to shift out, that will take a couple of windows.
I believe that qualification for the CL has given us a bit of breathing space, that we simply have to capitalise on.
M.U. will be back, Chelksi are in disarray at the moment
Newcastle will need a couple of season before they will be a threat IMO.
We have a window of opportunity with a world class manager which needs to be exploited.
Believe me it won't be long before the pack starts to close up.

We had 4th somewhat handed to us on a plate this season and still made hard work of it.
I can't see us getting in between City or Pool next season and Utd I would expect to improve unless its a rough ride with the rebuild and they implode even more !
If we do sign 6 to 8, they will need acclimatising and integrating without upsetting the balance we have built.

I am not expecting too much next season, 4th again on merit ( not gifted) would be commendable.