January transfer window | Page 14 | Vital Football

January transfer window

Fans from other teams appear to be frothing about it all. On one hand they’re slagging us off for being ambitious and thinking we can sign Mbappe because the media told them. On the other hand, they’re criticising us for buying players to get us out of the mire and not spending money on Mbappe etc. Fun times.

Seems to be a twist in the proposed signing of Ekitike. Would be an excellent acquisition if it comes off but don't bank on it happening

Well if he does decide to stay in France, I hope they have someone else lined up as we’re still short up top. Another CB and CM required too.

In other news, the Mackems are trying to sign Defoe! He must be about 46. Poor fuckers. LALAS.

Excellent players we are getting. Just one more CB and another good midfielder. Maybe a striker as well. Being greedy now hehehe. BG is actually a very good player. Been watching the French league for a while, mostly PSG games, but have seen the Brazilian. Never thought we would end up signing him.
You fellas deserve all of this as you have been fighting that awful arsehole for 14 flippen years.
May the good times roll.

Aye, a decent enough window and more than what we got in 14 years of Ashley but I still think we needed another attacker. That said, we've at least a chance of beating the drop now and a Summer window which really would blow the rest out of the water.

We seemed to be trying to get Botman and Carlos on board for ever and a day. Neither has materialised but indications were the players were tempted by the potential and maybe in the summer it may happen. It's been better than I expected though with some decent and one exceptional signing.

Pretty good transfer window overall. The Brazilian looks a very good player and defence should be stronger now.
We only have one fit striker so hope there are no injuries upcoming. Needed another striker but it was not to be. May come back to haunt us.

Needed 3 more as a bare minimum. Overall, it’s pretty disappointing after dilly dallying for far too long on certain transfers. Hopefully enough to see us through the season ‘successfully’ but I’m not as confident as I had hoped to have been today.

Give that window a 6/10 mainly because of trippier and Bruno. Other than those 2 the quality we signed strengthened the squad but not the team. Wood and Burn nothing we wouldn't have seen under Mike Ashley except Ashley wouldn't have paid the inflated fees for them. Still think we're woefully short up front but we'll see how it goes.

Judgement is really difficult to put a score on for me because of the factors in what make the January window so hard for everyone to deal in not to mention the teething troubles there has been at the club in replacing 14 years of neglect or getting the right staff in in such a short space of time.

If we stay up and still don't replace or strengthen in the right areas and this includes getting the right people doing the right jobs as in a director of football etc, then some criticism can then be aimed. Until then though, it's as you were and happy days.

Would have been great to get another attacking player but lets be fair. We have signed a world class england international full back, a brazilian international DM, and 3 more experienced premiership players. One of whom is a local lad. If that isn't enough to stay in the division we will just have to suck it up and rebuild from a step down next season. As an aside any idea when Wilson will be back in action?

I'm not going to be too critical because it's the owners first window and let's be honest they're new to the sport but I do think they need to be a bit more stubborn and ruthless. Let's just hope they learned from this January window.

Like going for a player 2 or 3 times in 1 window surely you know the first time if the player is definitely for sale or not. Better still if he even wants to come. Looks they've done business with one eye on the championship rather than throwing everything at survival. Bit of a gamble but suppose it's a gamble either way. We'll see if it pays off

Like Toony I reckon it's a difficult one to judge...

Hopefully we have enough in now which might also bring out better in what we had - Lascelles, Fraser & St Max as examples

I've heard Stavely and co getting praised from some of those they have negotiated with so I'm certainly not going to criticise them for not getting this or that done when we don't know what they have faced

I also get the impression that a lot of the difficult work might already be done in some cases for the Summer window

It's very much up to Howe now

I'm not going to be too critical because it's the owners first window and let's be honest they're new to the sport but I do think they need to be a bit more stubborn and ruthless. Let's just hope they learned from this January window.

Like going for a player 2 or 3 times in 1 window surely you know the first time if the player is definitely for sale or not. Better still if he even wants to come. Looks they've done business with one eye on the championship rather than throwing everything at survival. Bit of a gamble but suppose it's a gamble either way. We'll see if it pays off
How do you know that is true rza ?