Football and Covid | Page 21 | Vital Football

Football and Covid

This.

Also, if they can rearrange postponed games for the day before/after the cup games, then we should quite easily get two decent teams/benches, with unplayed subs from the first playing in the 2nd game.

This should certainly be an option with Oldham, but even with Rovers too. With a couple of new signings in too, it'd be lovely to reach the end of Jan, and still be in the cups, still in the top 3 (top if games in hand are won). We have to try and take control of our situation rather than end up perceiving ourselves as a victim.

Taking the piss to send a message to the authorities by arranging games a day after a cup match I’m all for. I doubt they’d let us though.

Personally I disagree on wanting to be in cups. The lesson from the 14/15 season should be heeded. Europa league backlog and then fa cup backlog really screwed us. It cost us in the play offs as we were running on fumes. Even the season before it’s arguable the cup run cost is our league place. The priority is the league and extra cup games will do nothing to aid us in that.

I'm sorry, but this is League One, the third tier of English football. Clubs at this level are not supposed to have bundles of international players within their squads with the revenue they generate. Now I can understand games being called off if a club loses say five key first-choice players, but when Latics are using Thelo as a reason to call a game off (as they did Fleetwood and would have done Morecambe had they not beaten us to it), then the club loses all it's credibility for me. Plus Jordan Jones is hardly a first team player, when was the last time he played a league game?

I despite the international break postponement rule, one of the worst rules in the EFL. You don't see the Premier League stopping due to the AFCON! Get the bloody games played.

Regardless of call ups or other injuries, I can’t see us calling the Burton match off now. We’ll have no choice but to play. However it’ll probably rule out the two midweeks either side of that as we won’t rearrange games for then.

I think you missed Dalek's original point here Hampton ...... whether the jabs are available or not, he was saying (I think) that the number of footballers unjabbed is in line with others of that age range who are non-footballers.

As for the liking ...... it's Harry Secombe. What's not to like? I'd offer you a big fat raspberry right now if one was available ....... but it's not ....... so have one of these instead.

:nerner:
Hugh Hampton

Not given it much thought but is there any point in even trying to be competitive in any of the cups were in?

Extremely frustrating that we've not had a single match to go to over the festive period!

The EFL have been far too lenient with the rules around injuries.Clubs are therefore taking advantage due to a few knocks/fatigue combined with a few positive Covid tests/longer term injuries to get games called off and it's descended into an absolute farce.It seems it's usually the away teams cancelling too due to their home revenue not being affected.

Our next home league game on a Saturday is at the end of January.So that means since we beat Burton on 30th October we've had ONE home league match in 3 months on a Saturday.That's outrageous for this level!Just think of the lost revenue and income we've suffered as a result,as obviously midweek games will generate much less than weekend.I wonder if we will be compensated for this?Will we heck!

There's also rules and limits on how much you can spend in L1 in relation to your turnover,so this lost revenue could hamper our transfer activity in January.

I hope the club is putting serious pressure on the EFL to extend the season by at least a couple of weeks as the season is losing it's integrity and isn't fair on the sides having to play catch up.The modern game nowadays is so much faster and more intense than it used to be and player welfare is important.

So having to play at least 27 games before the end of April just isn't feasible imo.That could be made even more difficult depending on bad weather,covid outbreaks,cup runs and international breaks.
Rest and recovery is so important to a pro footballer and I don't want to see or hear about another 1 of our players collapsing like Charlie Wyke due to the ridiculous workload that will now be placed on these lads if the season isn't extended.Something just isn't right seeing all these fit young athletes collapsing recently,as Charlie wasn't the only 1 and the heavy schedule that players have endured since covid started could be a contributing factor.

Finally,you are also much more susceptible to injuries during a heavy schedule of games,so again that comes under player welfare that Mal Brannigan talked about in his interview today

Extremely frustrating that we've not had a single match to go to over the festive period!

The EFL have been far too lenient with the rules around injuries.Clubs are therefore taking advantage due to a few knocks/fatigue combined with a few positive Covid tests/longer term injuries to get games called off and it's descended into an absolute farce.It seems it's usually the away teams cancelling too due to their home revenue not being affected.

Our next home league game on a Saturday is at the end of January.So that means since we beat Burton on 30th October we've had ONE home league match in 3 months on a Saturday.That's outrageous for this level!Just think of the lost revenue and income we've suffered as a result,as obviously midweek games will generate much less than weekend.I wonder if we will be compensated for this?Will we heck!

There's also rules and limits on how much you can spend in L1 in relation to your turnover,so this lost revenue could hamper our transfer activity in January.

I hope the club is putting serious pressure on the EFL to extend the season by at least a couple of weeks as the season is losing it's integrity and isn't fair on the sides having to play catch up.The modern game nowadays is so much faster and more intense than it used to be and player welfare is important.

So having to play at least 27 games before the end of April just isn't feasible imo.That could be made even more difficult depending on bad weather,covid outbreaks,cup runs and international breaks.
Rest and recovery is so important to a pro footballer and I don't want to see or hear about another 1 of our players collapsing like Charlie Wyke due to the ridiculous workload that will now be placed on these lads if the season isn't extended.Something just isn't right seeing all these fit young athletes collapsing recently,as Charlie wasn't the only 1 and the heavy schedule that players have endured since covid started could be a contributing factor.

Finally,you are also much more susceptible to injuries during a heavy schedule of games,so again that comes under player welfare that Mal Brannigan talked about in his interview today

Best be aware YAMS.....you'll have C.Latic telling you to stop whinging as we are just as guilty of abusing the current EFL guidelines...😉
I get what u are saying & as others have said doubt very much that the EFL will do anything to assist clubs....altho if the EFL funds were at risk they'd be all over this in a flash. Just looked at the league table after Sunderlands win tonight & they sit top of the league 4 points above us albeit having played 3 games more....but in the current climate think I'd rather have the points in the bag but there isn't alot we can do...

Clock set for last time...almost 50 years gone in a flash. Feeling a bit strange really. Thoughts of me dad getting me my 1st job at Horwich Loco.
Enjoy your last day 👍
Sure Mrs Hindley has a long list of jobs for you to crack on with from next week 😉

Best be aware YAMS.....you'll have C.Latic telling you to stop whinging as we are just as guilty of abusing the current EFL guidelines...😉
I get what u are saying & as others have said doubt very much that the EFL will do anything to assist clubs....altho if the EFL funds were at risk they'd be all over this in a flash. Just looked at the league table after Sunderlands win tonight & they sit top of the league 4 points above us albeit having played 3 games more....but in the current climate think I'd rather have the points in the bag but there isn't alot we can do...
I thought our circumstances seemed slightly different to when we called off Crewe.It made complete sense for us to play the game as we were fresh after a weeks break and had a sell out away end to roar us on.So surely we must've been badly hit by covid and injury,otherwise why would we want to cancel as we already had a couple of games in hand to catch up on?
I heard via Paul Kendrick that our academy was also ravaged with covid and with injuries to the likes of Long,Carragher,Smith and Adeeko we just couldn't find enough players who had some sort of 1st team experience to make up the team and then bench.

Like you,I was also pissed off at Accy for them cancelling,as it just seems a bit convenient as this would've been their 3rd game in week and it's an easy way out.However,i didn't want to really lay into them as they could genuinely be struggling,but my instinct thinks they're somewhere in between and they could've played if they really wanted to.But they aren't the only club to possibly take advantage of the situation,so I don't blame them too harshly,as others,maybe even ourselves would've probably done the same in their situation.It's the EFL I'm most frustrated with by allowing teams to manipulate the rules to call these games off far too easily.

I hope as a club we fiercely make a case for the season to be extended and hopefully the majority of EFL clubs feel the same way and it does.
However once we've done that,we then have no option but to get our heads down,work through it the best we can and just give it a good go.
It's going to make it more difficult for sure if it isn't extended,but after all 'we defy the odds, it's in our DNA' as we showed most recently last season💪

Last edited:
With all due respect to anyone asking for the league to be extended I don't think that the loss of fixtures has got bad enough for all teams for it to be considered.

At the moment due to our cup runs and international call offs in L1 we are hit the hardest but most other teams aren't impacted that much and will be able to fit in the rearranged fixtures into the existing season without too much fuss. Most teams probably don't need the season extended and extending it is probably a logistical nightmare - so I don't see there being enough demand for the EFL to do it.

With all due respect to anyone asking for the league to be extended I don't think that the loss of fixtures has got bad enough for all teams for it to be considered.

At the moment due to our cup runs and international call offs in L1 we are hit the hardest but most other teams aren't impacted that much and will be able to fit in the rearranged fixtures into the existing season without too much fuss. Most teams probably don't need the season extended and extending it is probably a logistical nightmare - so I don't see there being enough demand for the EFL to do it.

Seriously KDZ, I normally take what u say / post in good faith & think u normally speak good sense but not on this occasion....surely we are a point where both or club & it's final position is at stake here?? The EFL don't give a shite about us or predicament (regardless what CL may say btw).....we are going into (imo) an unprecedented scenario where we have more games than is feasible to fit in in a normal season....this bollocks may just fuck up our season ffs.

Seriously KDZ, I normally take what u say / post in good faith & think u normally speak good sense but not on this occasion....surely we are a point where both or club & it's final position is at stake here?? The EFL don't give a shite about us or predicament (regardless what CL may say btw).....we are going into (imo) an unprecedented scenario where we have more games than is feasible to fit in in a normal season....this bollocks may just fuck up our season ffs.

We are the only team in the FA Cup, Papa John's and have 4 games to fit in. We will have to play twice a week but we can still fit all the games in as it stands. We can still fit in another few if needed. It will be very hectic but until it becomes physically impossible for multiple teams the EFL won't consider it.

We are currently due to play 28 games before the end of the season which is the same number we did in the Cook title winning season so they will simply point to that and say it's not an issue.

The EFL will only extended the season if the majority of clubs demand it - at the moment the majority of clubs simply don't need it and it is even beneficial for the club's without a backlog to maintain the season finishing on time as it gives them an advantage over their rivals.

This is almost certainly going to negatively impact us and may even cost us promotion but that doesn't really change the situation for the rest of the teams and EFL who we would need to agree to extend the season.

From our point of view extendeding the season is very desirable - but we are going to be in the minority and in the EFL the majority is what matter. Whether we like it or not we are going to have to cope with it.

Last edited:
You are better off out of it.

Maybe that will become apparent, I don't know yet. Yesterday John said he had been done 7 years so would have made him 57 ish and done. So that has to be ill-health right...only john can answer that. I've never felt as fit and healthy so I need a purpose in life...I will find a project and go to the gym several times a week. It's not about money cos I don't need any extra It's just different.