Football and Covid | Page 20 | Vital Football

Football and Covid

Sorry, but once again we have no right to take the moral high ground when we did the same against Crewe and got games called off during the international break by using a Norwegian under 20s player who struggles to get on our bench.

Probably the biggest blow of all to the club financially this season losing Accrington. Guaranteed gate of 10k plus down the shitter to be replaced by one at least 2k lighter if that.

Not taking the 'moral high ground' CL, I'm merely saying that the EFL will have to take their heads from underneath the sands at some point as this whole season is fast becoming a farce.

Not taking the 'moral high ground' CL, I'm merely saying that the EFL will have to take their heads from underneath the sands at some point as this whole season is fast becoming a farce.
Of course they will, but I’m responding to you attacking Accrington for cheating the system, which is essentially what we’ve already done this season. Latics fans have no right whatsoever to attack any football club for playing the system to suit themselves.

Sorry, but once again we have no right to take the moral high ground when we did the same against Crewe and got games called off during the international break by using a Norwegian under 20s player who struggles to get on our bench.

Probably the biggest blow of all to the club financially this season losing Accrington. Guaranteed gate of 10k plus down the shitter to be replaced by one at least 2k lighter if that.

I think Morecambe called the November one off before we had chance to, but we did lose Keane, Jones, McClean for the lincoln one we called off. Personally I’d rather play games on a Saturday than keep cancelling them but it’s ludicrous the efl keep scheduling league games on international weekends knowing they can be called off. Then they use up weekends with fa cup matches as well. Are the efl really that stupid that they don’t recognise clubs generate greater revenue at weekends from league fixtures than they do from midweek ones. Irony is we probably won’t have a choice but to play during the March international weekend regardless of how many players we lose as we can’t fit it in anywhere else unless they extend the campaign.

If Accrington have 5 players out with Covid, only 2 changes from Boxing day to the 18 man squad. 24th Dec a full round of testing across all leagues were done as they have to do this 2 days prior to a game. So the isolation for 3 players would end tomorrow. Meaning they would have 21 players. For it to be called off they need 13 or less. They would have to suddenly lose 8 players.

Hopefully he is just voicing frustration that they're having to play so many games at once and others aren't which would be fair enough.

They probably 'found' those 8 injuries quite easily. Tight hamstring, dead leg, sore calf, bruised foot etc they can claim the players all have minor knocks and the EFL said injuries and covid all count so they take their word for it.

If you had a monster injury crisis and down to 13 fit players with no Covid cases less than a month ago the EFL would say tough luck - play the kids or forfit / get deducted points for failing to fulfil the fixture. But now it seems in an identical situation as long as one of the missing players has Covid rather than an injury you now get to call off the game due to the number of injuries.

It's a ridiculous situation.

Unless the Efl announce the season is being extended in the next few days we should tell the efl that due to fixture congestion we are withdrawing from the pizza trophy. We cannot afford to progress and play more games, so bar ‘throwing’ the Oldham game the transparent thing to do is to withdraw from the competition.

Unfortunately the same goes for the FA Cup fixture. The priority is the league and getting promoted, so cancelling even more league games to play cup matches is just plain stupidity.

I wouldn't throw it just play the u23s. Adeeko for example looking great as a sub in the last round and we've not seen him since.

They probably 'found' those 8 injuries quite easily. Tight hamstring, dead leg, sore calf, bruised foot etc they can claim the players all have minor knocks and the EFL said injuries and covid all count so they take their word for it.

If you had a monster injury crisis and down to 13 fit players with no Covid cases less than a month ago the EFL would say tough luck - play the kids or forfit / get deducted points for failing to fulfil the fixture. But now it seems in an identical situation as long as one of the missing players has Covid rather than an injury you now get to call off the game due to the number of injuries.

It's a ridiculous situation.

I can see this seasons fixtures being cancelled if this goes on much longer and all results expunged and starting over from scratch next season covid permitting.

I wouldn't throw it just play the u23s. Adeeko for example looking great as a sub in the last round and we've not seen him since.
This.

Also, if they can rearrange postponed games for the day before/after the cup games, then we should quite easily get two decent teams/benches, with unplayed subs from the first playing in the 2nd game.

This should certainly be an option with Oldham, but even with Rovers too. With a couple of new signings in too, it'd be lovely to reach the end of Jan, and still be in the cups, still in the top 3 (top if games in hand are won). We have to try and take control of our situation rather than end up perceiving ourselves as a victim.

It's certainly not ideal having this fixture backlog but we have apparently been struggling with injuries and in some recent games struggled for personnel in certain positions. Missing Cousins has hurt us by losing Power at full back and particularly Wyke as our only target man being out has really had a negative impact on our play.

So what effectively amounts to a mid season break will give us a chance to get everyone back to 100%, gives us time to work on things on the training ground and focus on player recruitment so we can hopefully plug our gaps heading into the next league game.

I'm not going to go as far as saying this could be a blessing in disguise as the fixture congestion is going to be very tough and you wouldn't pick this. But I think this break could also be beneficial if we play it right.

I can see this seasons fixtures being cancelled if this goes on much longer and all results expunged and starting over from scratch next season covid permitting.

I don't think that will happen. All the players currently catching Omnicom now will have immunity so the number of potential players likely to test positive is decreasing and I can't see the EFL allowing teams free reign on calling off games as they currently do.

I think we've passed the worst for number of cancellations and the season will finish but there will obviously be fixture congestion.

It's certainly not ideal having this fixture backlog but we have apparently been struggling with injuries and in some recent games struggled for personnel in certain positions. Missing Cousins has hurt us by losing Power at full back and particularly Wyke as our only target man being out has really had a negative impact on our play.

So what effectively amounts to a mid season break will give us a chance to get everyone back to 100%, gives us time to work on things on the training ground and focus on player recruitment so we can hopefully plug our gaps heading into the next league game.

I'm not going to go as far as saying this could be a blessing in disguise as the fixture congestion is going to be very tough and you wouldn't pick this. But I think this break could also be beneficial if we play it right.

That's a positive way to look at it plus Crewe Fleetwood and Accy games are all well winable for us

Stanley had a side that were all tested and deemed fit to play last night so how is it that the same squad are tested less than 24 hours later and are then deemed not to play their next match?

This.

Also, if they can rearrange postponed games for the day before/after the cup games, then we should quite easily get two decent teams/benches, with unplayed subs from the first playing in the 2nd game.

This should certainly be an option with Oldham, but even with Rovers too. With a couple of new signings in too, it'd be lovely to reach the end of Jan, and still be in the cups, still in the top 3 (top if games in hand are won). We have to try and take control of our situation rather than end up perceiving ourselves as a victim.

I was thinking the same play Oldham on Tuesday and see if we can get league game 24 hours later and use 2 completely different teams with first team playing the league game. Then see if we can play Blackburn on Saturday and get a league game on the Sunday and again play 2 completely different teams.

It's just a case of if Fleetwood, Oxford, Accy, Crewe would want to play any of those fixtures. I suspect all of them will want to book the game deep into our fixture congestion so they can hope to catch us tired.

Stanley had a side that were all tested and deemed fit to play last night so how is it that the same squad are tested less than 24 hours later and are then deemed not to play their next match?

When you can count injuries and self certify this is what happens. There may not have been any more Covid cases just standard injuries and fatigue.

I think Morecambe called the November one off before we had chance to, but we did lose Keane, Jones, McClean for the lincoln one we called off. Personally I’d rather play games on a Saturday than keep cancelling them but it’s ludicrous the efl keep scheduling league games on international weekends knowing they can be called off. Then they use up weekends with fa cup matches as well. Are the efl really that stupid that they don’t recognise clubs generate greater revenue at weekends from league fixtures than they do from midweek ones. Irony is we probably won’t have a choice but to play during the March international weekend regardless of how many players we lose as we can’t fit it in anywhere else unless they extend the campaign.
I'm sorry, but this is League One, the third tier of English football. Clubs at this level are not supposed to have bundles of international players within their squads with the revenue they generate. Now I can understand games being called off if a club loses say five key first-choice players, but when Latics are using Thelo as a reason to call a game off (as they did Fleetwood and would have done Morecambe had they not beaten us to it), then the club loses all it's credibility for me. Plus Jordan Jones is hardly a first team player, when was the last time he played a league game?

I despise the international break postponement rule in L1, one of the worst rules in the EFL. You don't see the Premier League stopping due to the AFCON! Get the bloody games played.

Last edited: