Crystal Palace v Aston Villa - Match Thread | Page 33 | Vital Football

Crystal Palace v Aston Villa - Match Thread

Watching MOTD right now and just seen the sending off incident. Good god no wonder it was overturned. Wasn't even a yellow. Barely touched the guy. Pathetic refereeing. Wanted to make his mark in his first and hopefully only premier league game.

Thanks Pangloss.

We're all entitled to an opinion, after all. I couldn't see what Gerrard brought to us initially, over what Deano did, but I'm starting to observe a difference.

I hope it really is a new philosophy that lasts, and not just a new manager bounce, because if so we're in for some good times.

I still don't find his interviews enjoyable, though. I don't want diplomacy. I want the truth.
You are highly unlikely to ever get the truth from a good manager. You want the truth - Watkins was utter garbage. You want diplomacy - there are areas we need to improve on

MOTD highlighted the closeness of the Villa midfield 3 yesterday and its a definite plus point and something that's been mentioned on here before. We're having more passing options now to actually keep the ball unlike previously where a defender would have the ball and everyone would be 20-30 yards away leading to the big boom upfield and it instantly coming back.
It's such a small tweak to install but it proves that football, if coached right, is a simple game and doesn't need to be over complicated with graphs,pie charts and coloured counters on a board.
Very happy with what I've witnessed so far 👏

Watching MOTD right now and just seen the sending off incident. Good god no wonder it was overturned. Wasn't even a yellow. Barely touched the guy. Pathetic refereeing. Wanted to make his mark in his first and hopefully only premier league game.
I thought that was what VAR was for, to check incidents before throwing red cards about, he couldn’t wait to get that red card out.

Just heard Micah Richards say of Mcginns finish "I've seen that many times in training" and I'd completely forgotten that he was still on the books in 18/19 when Mcginn arrived yet played his last game for us in 2016. Madness.
Not a fan of Lineker, but funny quip last night about Jenas & Richards
‘And I’m joined by Jenas & Richards, both hoping to get through this 70mins or so uninjured’

He's been here barely 2 weeks , not sure what you're expecting him to say. I've been impressed he's not getting carried away he is saying the right things for me at the moment and more importantly has been prioritising the right areas to start with . I think he'll be furious about that late very soft goal we conceded that could of been really costly
He won't be saying a lot, because he knows we have two very hard games coming up, which will add a bit of realism into the equation.
On the subject of the goal, it was a collective switch off that we have seen so many times this season.
It's a 90 minutes+ game and our defenders must concentrate better.
We never looked in any danger in that game, but contrived to chuck it away.
Defend like that against City and they will take full advantage.

MOTD highlighted the closeness of the Villa midfield 3 yesterday and its a definite plus point and something that's been mentioned on here before. We're having more passing options now to actually keep the ball unlike previously where a defender would have the ball and everyone would be 20-30 yards away leading to the big boom upfield and it instantly coming back.
It's such a small tweak to install but it proves that football, if coached right, is a simple game and doesn't need to be over complicated with graphs,pie charts and coloured counters on a board.
Very happy with what I've witnessed so far 👏

Yep, it was an excellent point and analysis and so true. It is why I was shitting myself against BHA and yesterday about our midfield 3 and how poor it looked on paper and to be honest how that combination has looked in previous games with the gaping gaps between players and the units within the team. That analysis highlighted how each midfielder and thus the other units within the team have an option and it’s not hours of the defence passing sideways amongst themselves because they have don’t have a short option ahead .

Watkins is a massive worry, doesn't look premier league quality this season. He lost the ball virtually every time he received it. It's not about him not being a hold up player, he can't even take a good touch and shield the ball.

It's been the same most of the season - I just don't get it, it's not just a bit of improvement around the edges required but as you say, he seems to be completely incapable of controlling the ball at all unless he's running onto it.

I get he was a winger (probably should still be IMO) but these are the very basics of playing football that any footballer should be able to do. He just seems to have lost that ability overnight and while he's always been pretty powder puff in terms of holding the ball up when fending off a challenge, he seems to have become even weaker in that respect too.

Baffling - does he have a balance problem post-injury??

Last edited:
Meh, I'm still finding him a bit stilted and scripted. It's all "the players are working really hard" instead of just relaxing and enjoying the win. The top managers like Klopp, Pep and Tuchell all have a way of seeming natural in front of camera.

Maybe it's just early days from Gerard, and he'll grow into it.

Easy to be like that when you've got one of the best teams in the PL/World.

Gerrard needs to keep it stern for a good while yet as he's for sure still eyeing the other end of the table for now - 7pts away from the drop and catapulted into mid table is a great start but we can't relax until we've got 40pts.

He knows as well as anyone that two losses after the two wins will wipe the gloss off a great start,even though they are to be expected, and then the momentum can quickly reverse back the other way.

This is as much a psychological battle now as anything else - as soon as they all start jerking each other off in congratulations for how great they all are we'll sink again.

Last edited: