Crystal Palace v Aston Villa - Match Thread | Page 32 | Vital Football

Crystal Palace v Aston Villa - Match Thread

Watkins is a massive worry, doesn't look premier league quality this season. He lost the ball virtually every time he received it. It's not about him not being a hold up player, he can't even take a good touch and shield the ball.
It’s very rare that the ball sticks, always seems to bounce of him in one direction or another, sadly I feel we need better, really should’ve got Tammy.

Gerrard never really spoke well as a player, every other sentence had 'yeah of course' in. I actually think he has put conscious effort into elocuting himself to a certain extent and get the answer that bit more straight in his mind before talking.

This is why he comes off a bit more scripted in what he says IMO. This is a bigger role than Rangers, certainly from the POV of the media circus surrounding him so I can forgive him for wanting to be a bit less off the cuff at this stage of his managerial career.

It’s very rare that the ball sticks, always seems to bounce of him in one direction or another, sadly I feel we need better, really should’ve got Tammy.
The thing is, this is Tammy with 3 goals in 13 for Roma in the league. We need better quality up front to really push up the table. I see Watkins as a squad player in the grand scheme of things. Hard to make a recommendation on who we should sign but this is why we pay big bucks to recruitment guys.

He's been here barely 2 weeks , not sure what you're expecting him to say. I've been impressed he's not getting carried away he is saying the right things for me at the moment and more importantly has been prioritising the right areas to start with . I think he'll be furious about that late very soft goal we conceded that could of been really costly
He can talk like Norman collier (young ones, southerners, google him) for me as long as we keep winning.
And some thought WE were picky about DS!

The thing is, this is Tammy with 3 goals in 13 for Roma in the league. We need better quality up front to really push up the table. I see Watkins as a squad player in the grand scheme of things. Hard to make a recommendation on who we should sign but this is why we pay big bucks to recruitment guys.
Agreed mate, it’s a difficult scenario isn’t it, not sure Ings is the answer, if we want top class we’ll have to pay top money.

Thanks Pangloss.

We're all entitled to an opinion, after all. I couldn't see what Gerrard brought to us initially, over what Deano did, but I'm starting to observe a difference.

I hope it really is a new philosophy that lasts, and not just a new manager bounce, because if so we're in for some good times.

I still don't find his interviews enjoyable, though. I don't want diplomacy. I want the truth.

I sometimes think it's not worth voicing an opinion on here. In fact, I deliberately don't most of the time.
Wasn’t having a dig directly at you mate, just saying, we’ve had some stick over the months for our comments, I’m just nudging back that’s all.
And it’s always worth voicing your opinion, just as I have!

Wasn’t having a dig directly at you mate, just saying, we’ve had some stick over the months for our comments, I’m just nudging back that’s all.
And it’s always worth voicing your opinion, just as I have!

LOl, no worries.

All that matters in the end are the results, obviously. Although the way we play, how many youth players get a chance, how much money we spend, what our manager says, what our players eat, how much the players sleep, what supermarket our owners try and buy also seem to be important.

Thanks Pangloss.

We're all entitled to an opinion, after all. I couldn't see what Gerrard brought to us initially, over what Deano did, but I'm starting to observe a difference.

I hope it really is a new philosophy that lasts, and not just a new manager bounce, because if so we're in for some good times.

I still don't find his interviews enjoyable, though. I don't want diplomacy. I want the truth.
In all fairness I don’t know what the lad can say after 2 games! He doesn’t even know them yet, like I said above, 6pts, shit interviews, thumbs up, 5 defeats on the bounce, great interviews, thumbs down for me.
I’d rather a good manager than a good spokesman.

Last edited:
I think it stems from watching too many politicians avoid the question in interviews.

"The players are doing great" isn't the answer to every question. Watch him next time. He starts to answer, then realises he needs to get back to massaging the players egos. They shouldn't need it.

I think it stems from watching too many politicians avoid the question in interviews.

"The players are doing great" isn't the answer to every question. Watch him next time. He starts to answer, then realises he needs to get back to massaging the players egos. They shouldn't need it.
The message I keep hearing is there is still lots of work to do. The players are taking the information on board and doing well. 2 wins in 2. I'm not sure what more you want at this stage.

I don't know either, really. I just see the pattern I observe watching political shows, where I end up shouting at the TV "answer the bloody question".

It's a small gripe, so don't let it detract from the massive progress I can see as well.

Agreed mate, it’s a difficult scenario isn’t it, not sure Ings is the answer, if we want top class we’ll have to pay top money.

Unfortunately top money is 60m plus these days. Normally we get to a point where we're paying good money for players, say 9.5 for Angel back in 2001 or the 10m-15m several times under MON but don't push into that really big next level type buy.

Its easy saying you have the money but another spending it. Attracting the players that command that type of money us also another matter.

Unfortunately top money is 60m plus these days. Normally we get to a point where we're paying good money for players, say 9.5 for Angel back in 2001 or the 10m-15m several times under MON but don't push into that really big next level type buy.

Its easy saying you have the money but another spending it. Attracting the players that command that type of money us also another matter.

To me, that's why Deano was replaced with a well known name like Gerrard. It has to me a major selling point, surely?