Coronavirus | Page 782 | Vital Football

Coronavirus

61 tested positive on 2 flights from SA to Amsterdam yesterday. Just imagine how many have come into Europe this last week undetected. Forget boosters we are looking at a whole new set of vaccines I fear.

We've never got on top of our own borders through all of this, it has been an absolutely disgrace, we needed to clamp down massively on people leaving and entering the country, doing that would make life a hell of a lot easier domestically. I have zero desire for anymore lockdowns.

got the booster tues, had a sore arm for a couple of days, then woke up in the nite with an acute pain across the shoulder and collar bone, which i still have, the 2 jabs were tizer and the booster moderna,,,,,seanie

We've never got on top of our own borders through all of this, it has been an absolutely disgrace, we needed to clamp down massively on people leaving and entering the country, doing that would make life a hell of a lot easier domestically. I have zero desire for anymore lockdowns.
The horse has already bolted (again)

it is of concern, don't forget other strains have been also, and not amounted to anything, or not one that could top trump the strength of the delta variant.

Here's a roundup of the changes:

• All travellers entering the UK will now have to take a PCR test within two days of entering the country and will have to self-isolate until a negative test is returned.
  • All those who have been in contact with a person who tests positive for the Omicron variant will have to self-isolate regardless of whether or not they have been vaccinated.
  • Face coverings will once again become compulsory in shops and on public transport in England. In Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland they are still mandatory on public transport and many indoor areas.
  • Hospitality will be exempt from the rule change on face coverings.
  • The JCVI will explore how the booster programme can be extended, including looking at closing the time gap between the second dose and the booster.
  • Ten countries are now on the UK's travel red list meaning, from Sunday at 04:00 GMT, all arrivals will have to quarantine in a hotel for 10 days. They are South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Lesotho, Eswatini, Angola, Mozambique, Malawi and Zambia.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-59443504

Analysis: The challenge posed by Omicron

James Gallagher
Health and science correspondent, BBC News

There is the danger of both under and over reacting to Omicron.

Cases of Covid have been climbing except for a lull over the October half term. They topped 50,000 in yesterday’s figures

The success of boosters means the number of people needing either hospital treatment or dying is actually falling.

But it does tell us that the overall package of measures, our behaviour and levels of immunity, are not enough to contain the current Delta variant.

If Omicron truly does transmit better and partially evade immunity, as some scientists fear, then it too could take off.

The measures announced this evening are aimed at preventing Omicron getting a foothold while scientists work to find the answers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-59443504

(Just a little reminder) Cut it down, but have used more as it is off the BBC and we bloody pay for it! Please don't replicate from newspapers and other news sources.

• All travellers entering the UK will now have to take a PCR test within two days of entering the country and will have to self-isolate until a negative test is returned.
As much as I thought it was a load of bollocks and pure hassle, the US has it right. You shouldnt be allowed in unless you have a negative test within 3 days of flying. Ireland just let me in, no test just have the vaccine. Pure folly.

I see we are back to compulsory mask wearing in enclosed spaces in England.

Should never have been removed in the first place. I've not stopped wearing mine so no difference to me
Yep Omicron here but our strategy throughout has been an omnishambles.