Coronavirus | Page 781 | Vital Football

Coronavirus

Find this so very strange. Everyone else has had to carry on, but GP's are largely still not seeing patients face to face (I wouldn't mind if you could at least book an appointment the normal way - not have to race to the phone at 8am in the hope of getting through!)

GPs in England have voted in favour of taking limited forms of industrial action to protest against the government’s drive to force them to see patients face to face.

The results led the profession’s new leader to warn ministers that “demoralised, broken and exhausted” family doctors may refuse to undertake some normal duties to show their anger.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/nov/25/gps-in-england-vote-in-favour-of-industrial-action

They could do it behind screens for most of the consultations surely?

I thought they discouraged face to face appointments by employing the rudest, most miserable people to work on reception?

Scientists have said a new Covid variant that carries an “extremely high number” of mutations may drive further waves of disease by evading the body’s defences.

Just 10 cases so far.... the concern is the number of mutations.

The B.1.1.529 variant has 32 mutations in the spike protein, the part of the virus that most vaccines use to prime the immune system against Covid. Mutations in the spike protein can affect the virus’s ability to infect cells and spread, but also make it harder for immune cells to attack the pathogen.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-covid-variant-with-high-number-of-mutations?
Belgium have confirmed their first case of this new variant. I think this will send shockwaves around Europe with the way they are struggling with the latest wave.

Good post by a great guy on MillwallOnline forum (used with permission obviously)

We now have a 'Nu' variant. Pun intended. The MSM, of course, are enjoying the discovery immensely. There's no doubt that this new variant has a number of mutations to the spike protein that could enable it to escape vaccines.

However, we need to realise that this variant is not competing against vaccines - to survive and reproduce it must compete against other viruses. These mutations may give it an advantage over vaccines, but will they confer an advantage over other viruses? All these viruses are in continual battle for survival in a crowded antigenic space.

South Africa has had a relatively low number of cases for a while now. This might sound strange, but this provides an ideal breeding ground for new variants because they can find the space they need to infect people and reproduce.

Over here, we still have a very dominant Delta variant, which could prove to be 'fitter' than the Nu variant and squeeze it out. This is happened many times already to other variants of concern.

We also have very high levels of 'super immunity' in the UK. A little while ago I mentioned that getting vaccinated and then infected with COVID was the gold standard of immune protection. This is still the case. In addition, recent data suggests that the AZ vaccine provides better long-term protection through T cells than the Pfizer vaccine. The jury is still out on this idea, but it could explain a lot.

The Nu variant will only present a problem here if it can overcome the huge barrier provided by widespread vaccine and infection induced 'super immunity' in the UK and can compete successfully against our dominant Delta strain.

I have got the lurgy. Chesty, slight cough every now and then, snotty nose. Generally ropey. Done four LFT’s since yesterday. All negative.

Someone on at work was positive this week . Although I hadn’t seen him since last thursday . His Mrs gave it to him and she was positive last weekend .

Mmmm…

This is the issue and massive flaw with the herd immunity strategy. It allows huge levels of infection in the community and increases the risks of dangerous variants emerging, this could go on for years unless the planet aligns and tackles this as one,

The Munster rugby team is currently in South Africa and they will all have to quarantine for 10 days when they return to Ireland. They didn't get to play the two games they went there for either.

All well and good stopping flights from South Africa now but what about the thousands of people who have flown in over the last 7 days alone. Like Belgium, the virus will already be here and circulating

This is the issue and massive flaw with the herd immunity strategy. It allows huge levels of infection in the community and increases the risks of dangerous variants emerging, this could go on for years unless the planet aligns and tackles this as one,

Call me cynical but the US now sees this as a profit making opportunity

Good post by a great guy on MillwallOnline forum (used with permission obviously)

We now have a 'Nu' variant. Pun intended. The MSM, of course, are enjoying the discovery immensely. There's no doubt that this new variant has a number of mutations to the spike protein that could enable it to escape vaccines.

However, we need to realise that this variant is not competing against vaccines - to survive and reproduce it must compete against other viruses. These mutations may give it an advantage over vaccines, but will they confer an advantage over other viruses? All these viruses are in continual battle for survival in a crowded antigenic space.

South Africa has had a relatively low number of cases for a while now. This might sound strange, but this provides an ideal breeding ground for new variants because they can find the space they need to infect people and reproduce.

Over here, we still have a very dominant Delta variant, which could prove to be 'fitter' than the Nu variant and squeeze it out. This is happened many times already to other variants of concern.

We also have very high levels of 'super immunity' in the UK. A little while ago I mentioned that getting vaccinated and then infected with COVID was the gold standard of immune protection. This is still the case. In addition, recent data suggests that the AZ vaccine provides better long-term protection through T cells than the Pfizer vaccine. The jury is still out on this idea, but it could explain a lot.

The Nu variant will only present a problem here if it can overcome the huge barrier provided by widespread vaccine and infection induced 'super immunity' in the UK and can compete successfully against our dominant Delta strain.

That's good news. I have to say, I'm fully sick of pussy footing around Covid at this point. All of the lockdowns, we've had three separate ones here lasting months on end every time. 95% of the population here is vaccinated. If that's not enough, then I can't see that another lockdown is going to change anything.

My booster jab really hit me for 6 yesterday. Didn't have any reaction to either of my AZ jabs but following the Pfizer yesterday the whole of my left hand side (arm and leg) felt like it had been run over. Woke up in the night sweating and with my arm in agony.

Seems to have subsided now though.

My booster jab really hit me for 6 yesterday. Didn't have any reaction to either of my AZ jabs but following the Pfizer yesterday the whole of my left hand side (arm and leg) felt like it had been run over. Woke up in the night sweating and with my arm in agony.

Seems to have subsided now though.

Looking forward to mine on the 2nd even more now! Heard a few people saying they were knocked out by the booster. Ace!