Match Thread: Lincoln City v Portsmouth | Page 18 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Portsmouth

A lot more lucre gone into it at Pompey. It's a false comparison.
£5 million invested by their Chairman this week, the smaller Clubs just cannot compete against against that. Accrington are in our mini league and we need to be ready for that on and off the pitch on Saturday.
We have been told there will be incoming changes come January 2nd, but also there will be players leaving, and by now they will know who they are. Not much of an incentive to some when you need 100% commitment , which was not shown last night.

but also there will be players leaving, and by now they will know who they are. Not much of an incentive to some when you need 100% commitment , which not shown last night.

I don't think any of those playing last night are amongst the leaving in January players (bar offers from other clubs of course).

£5 million invested by their Chairman this week, the smaller Clubs just cannot compete against against that. Accrington are in our mini league and we need to be ready for that on and off the pitch on Saturday.
We have been told there will be incoming changes come January 2nd, but also there will be players leaving, and by now they will know who they are. Not much of an incentive to some when you need 100% commitment , which was not shown last night.
Haven’t heard a peep out of Landon Donavon & Co since they arrived have we?

Looking at the table, there's a pretty perfect split between Clubs who have a budget, and those who don't (relative to L1), bar Charlton, Ipswich and Cheltenham who're the anomalies at the minute.

Had we gone in 0-0 at HT, we would have had a chance. That is the way I saw the first half. They were nothing special, and were there for the taking. They scored before the break, and our heads dropped.
I agree that if we had gone in 0-0 at HT we would have had a chance, and it definitely knocked the stuffing out of us. However, Portsmouth were the better team up to that point and could easily have scored their first at any time in the first 45.

Think our free kick in the Pompey half which went straight back to the keeper pretty much sums up our performances of late
It’s like they’ve been passed a live grenade at times terrified of the ball
Not sure our midfield could boss a small animal the moment
Happened a couple of times and on Sat, then within a couple of passes, possession is lost. Might as well launch free kicks towards Montsma and give the opposition something to deal with.

I agree that if we had gone in 0-0 at HT we would have had a chance, and it definitely knocked the stuffing out of us. However, Portsmouth were the better team up to that point and could easily have scored their first at any time in the first 45.

Yep we kept giving the ball away or losing it in dangerous places in the first half. They could have easily scored at least one or two more before they got the first. As for us, I can only recall that Draper chance of note in the first 45.

We have major problems, a side lacking confidence and looking well short of ideas or alternative solutions in games when we need to change things. Couple that with injuries and players very much under performing (for whatever reason) and it’s hard to see much light at the end of the tunnel, even if we do manage to get more quality in January.

It feels like we're back to when MA first joined where were weren't particularly good at anything having started from scratch. Not to say we're completely useless now but we can't compete with physically strong sides (that's been a theme under MA full stop because he favours more technical players) and arguably have no real physicality full stop, we're not great at playing out from the back, we have no pace in the side, we're putting square pegs in round holes in forward and midfield areas and there's no bite to the side.

Said it before this season, but we feel very U21/U23 football.

Fiorini and Sorenson can't play in the same midfield together, they make it too lightweight and a midfield of nothingness.

I look at the squad and there's a core of a decent players there (even now with only available players) but, as the saying goes, you're only as good as the weakest link and at the minute, a) we have a few and b) the drop off from the half decent players to the weaker ones is big - we don't seem to have an in between.

I think Saturday will be the real acid test for MA and the players. We lack pace all over the park and grit & attitude in midfield and if Accy can expose that then we are in a relegation battle for sure. This division is tough and it needs a blend of technical ability and dog and we don't have that balance at the moment. A fit Bridcutt and Jackson are key but I fear they are so injury prone we need replacements. We can consolidate in this division but recruitment in January and a review of tactics based on the players we get is vital.

January is critically important for MA's future I think

In a if things don’t improve then we may need to think the unthinkable and sack him kind of way, or a he gets pissed off with the players at his disposal and considers his options kind of way?

I couldn’t bring myself to look at this thread last night & not sure I’ve got the stomach to read through what’s already been said.
All I’ll say is I’m normally a pretty optimistic fan but the last few games have been very difficult to watch I have to say, win or lose.

I watched my team comprehensively outplayed. What Grimsby Town do has absolutely no relevance to that and, frankly, your comment is just......well.....crass.

To be more frank; I'd prefer to see GTFC back in the league where we can enjoy some more local derbies against the likes of Grimsby, Scunthorpe et al.

And I'd be happy to see more local derbies like Scunny v Cods...in the Conference.