The Official Cheltenham Town Match Thread 3 - The Crappening (Sponsored by Tena for Men "for all your bed-wetting needs") | Page 4 | Vital Football

The Official Cheltenham Town Match Thread 3 - The Crappening (Sponsored by Tena for Men "for all your bed-wetting needs")

We are Ok until we get around the opposition box then it falls apart.
We are liable to a mistake at the back (which cost us the first goal).
Their second was good play from them, they at least had to create the chance themselves which they did well.

But nothing up front, how many real chances have we made and how many saves has Flinders had to make. Sorry pathetic.

Last edited:
But nothing up front, how many real chances have we made and how many saves has Flinders had to make. Sorry perthitic.
He did make a couple of good saves (at least one from ollylee). Plus Akinde through on goal and missed the target, twice. Thing is, with a lack of confidence and goals up front, and missing big V, then hesitation, the wrong pass, just general incompetence up front all tends to do the keepers job for him, ie the shot never actually gets hit. Or if it does it’s woefully shite.

He did make a couple of good saves (at least one from ollylee). Plus Akinde through on goal and missed the target, twice. Thing is, with a lack of confidence and goals up front, and missing big V, then hesitation, the wrong pass, just general incompetence up front all tends to do the keepers job for him, ie the shot never actually gets hit. Or if it does it’s woefully shite.
That's true - 2 good saves from Lee shots from outside the box - particularly the first one, he got down low very well.
Akinde needs one to go in off his arse or whatever and hopefully build some confidence.

The thing is we've played them 4 times now this season, 3 times at home, and still not beaten them. They are better than us on the current squads available to play.

Watched at home tonight as have a bad cold (need to do a test to make sure it's just that!), but very disappointing result again against a very limited Cheltenham side. Yes, we have injuries, but the side we put out tonight has more than enough experienced and good players at this level to give a better account of themselves against a side as limited as Cheltenham. We created plenty of decent chances, but didn't finish - Lee and Akinde being the most guilty, but TBF, they were our most dangerous players.

Cheltenham scored two soft goals that we should have defended better, but equally they seem to have got the run of the green that we seem to not be getting at the moment, for example that scrappy first goal - weak under-hit corner that we should have defended better, yet it went to their man who made a hash of it, and it rebounded, bobbled and ricocheted right in the path of their man who was presented with an easy chance to slot home - that sort of thing just doesn't happen to us at the moment; we had plenty of goalmouth ricochets and they just seemed to end up in the keeper's hands, out for a goal kick or went to one of their players to clear. Their second goal was simplistic route one personified - pump up field, tidy knock down and unchallenged header which went to May, who was not marked close enough, given too much room by the defence and Cummings seemed too slow off the mark too. Easy goal, the sort of long ball goal we used to score against teams, but don't seem to now.

Not sure what the answer it, but I am thoroughly depressed with what we're offering at the moment.

I still enjoyed tonight. We played ok. Nice to get out of the house to watch games. Messaged wife to say I was on my way home. She said she'd run a bath, so was looking forward to it. Got home, and she's is it!

That didn't look like Evans saying goodbye at the end. No deal done yet my thoughts. Might change in next few days though.