Aston Villa v Brighton Match Thread - Sat 20th Nov - 3pm | Page 2 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Brighton Match Thread - Sat 20th Nov - 3pm

If we get the "new manager bounce" ... win

If the team carries on as they have been playing ... loss

Martinez
Gotovka Konsa Mings Anyonebuttargett
Carney/Sanson Luiz McGinn
Buendia Bailey Watkins
Ings.

Im guessing there first choice keeper is out after his Red card.

Martinez
Cash Konsa Mings Young
Sanson Marvellous
Buendia Luiz Bailey
Ings.

Its way past time Luiz was tried further forward.
Been looking at analysis of his tactics, generic 4-3-3 but the full backs provide the width and the two wide men are narrow (if that makes sense). I see this as much more a Liverpool style of play but only time will tell which players make the cut. He appears to want ownership from his players and having been an elite player, he can probably see who's stalling or sand-bagging and he'll definitely call them out.

This will be a tough game against a side who will look to kill the game and hit us when we are least expecting it. We seem to be experts at letting teams punish us too, we don’t help ourselves.

That said, I think we have to win this. Even if it’s a scrappy, ugly, boring 1-0 to the good guys I’ll take it.

Surprised at how many will take a draw .5 straight losses.....Palace away , Citeh, Leicester then then the Dippers away.

Errr....

We need to win.

If we get the "new manager bounce" ... win

If the team carries on as they have been playing ... loss

Martinez
Gotovka Konsa Mings Anyonebuttargett
Carney/Sanson Luiz McGinn
Buendia Bailey Watkins
Ings.
I think we'll definitely win with that line up...especially seeing as we'll have an extra player on the pitch :wave:

Fine margins. If we'd beaten Wolves as we should have, and Southampton as we could have, we'd be in 8th and DS would still be here.

Reckon there's every reason to think we can remain watertight against Brighton and score a few as well. If things click.

I think SG has to give the 'first' team a chance unless there is something clearly wrong in training
eg is Targett fit, suffering post covid or what - G to check him in training

But without the Ings & Watkins combo - a decision on whom to start with the other to come on 2nd half depending on performance

I guess our first choice team at the start of season [ignoring the possible Ings & Watkins folly] was intended to be
Emi
Cash Konsa Mings Targett
McGinn Luiz Ramse
y [or Sanson - was he seen to be 'in the picture or already written off?]
Buendia Ings Bailey

If things are looking bad then changes to be made early 2nd half

After his first match in charge Hause, Young, Marvellous, Sanson, Chucky & Jadon to be very much in his mind
I don't think Archer replaces Ings or Watkins for the first 2 SG matches but maybe a runout at the end if we are chasing the game

After the luke warm reception to Stevie G being announced our new manager, a loss would see twatter and probably this forum go into a complete meltdown.

Twitter might, I don't think this forum will. A few isolated people might, but from what I can see, although this hasn't overwhelmed many, most are now intrigued and the massive majority will support for now at least.

Last edited:
Nakamba coming back crocked from international duty apparently, but no mention of how severe.
Groin strain. Can't be rushed back, if it's a proper strain. Unfortunate.

Think Traore is still out. Sanson was ill, has he recovered? Be surprised if he hasn't. Not sure if Luiz has a problem. Ings was training but not sure if he's ready.

Hope Carney and Archer aren't overlooked. At the moment they're keen as mustard and we don't want that blunted.

This "press" thing. At times we've been doing that but not recently. Wonder why.

I read that Luiz has a soft tissue injury. No confirmation of that though. Wait on Gerrard’s presser.