Aston Villa v Brighton Match Thread - Sat 20th Nov - 3pm | Page 36 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Brighton Match Thread - Sat 20th Nov - 3pm

The Tactical Times
@Tactical_Times

Aston Villa were the fifth least active pressers in the Premier League before Steven Gerrard. Brighton are the fifth most active. In Gerrard's first game, Villa outpressed Brighton - esp. in the midfield - and limited Albion to their second lowest xG of the season.

At times under Smith we pressed well, always seemed to be at the start of the season and then fade. The worst think you can do is not press as a unit, either press or hold shape. The in between option means a team will play a triangle around the presser and advance up the pitch.

I post a bit about leadership along with a few others, I think we need a leader who decides when to press and when to hold. For me, that role is made for McGinn.

At times under Smith we pressed well, always seemed to be at the start of the season and then fade. The worst think you can do is not press as a unit, either press or hold shape. The in between option means a team will play a triangle around the presser and advance up the pitch.

I post a bit about leadership along with a few others, I think we need a leader who decides when to press and when to hold. For me, that role is made for McGinn.

Off the top of my head the best pressing we have done was in the Spurs away game last season which was the last but one game. We won the ball back around their area loads of times and doing it twice (Bert bizarrely) resulted in Ollies goal. I do think in general it suits us to play like that.

Off the top of my head the best pressing we have done was in the Spurs away game last season which was the last but one game. We won the ball back around their area loads of times and doing it twice (Bert bizarrely) resulted in Ollies goal. I do think in general it suits us to play like that.

I imagine the sheer shock of seeing Bert doing anything that wasn't some sort of highlight reel style trick stopped them in their tracks. God I love Traore even though he's annoying sometimes. He needs to get back ASAP as I want to see some of his tricks in person.

The main difference for me was Mings who won everything at both ends of the pitch, someone must have had a word with him and got him to attack the ball.

The next thing that went right was Martinez never let two soft goals in like he did against West Ham and made two brilliant saves instead which kept us level and our confidence intact

Oh and the other one was Potter trying to be smart and taking off the two wingbacks who had caused us the most problems. That changed the game suddenly we looked like scoring on every counterattack.

Really hoping that Tyrone has turned the corner and won't go back to what he has been doing ie dropping deeper and deeper standing of any trying blocks , Get in there and smash the mate

I imagine the sheer shock of seeing Bert doing anything that wasn't some sort of highlight reel style trick stopped them in their tracks. God I love Traore even though he's annoying sometimes. He needs to get back ASAP as I want to see some of his tricks in person.
He must be back soon surely