The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 506 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this nostalgia for the good old days when men were men is great but football is much much better now and the players much much higher performing. The soft bastards.

They cant act like bastards now though. The players have most of the power due to their transfer values. It's far easier for a club to sack the manager than try to move on several players that he's fallen out with and if the buyer knows the club want to sell, it will likely drive their value down.
I dont think management styles like Clough or Fergie would last more than a couple of years anymore. Thought Clough was brilliant myself, but he would likely be up before a tribunal every week these days.
Even Clough was a victim of player power when he went to Leeds.

All this nostalgia for the good old days when men were men is great but football is much much better now and the players much much higher performing. The soft bastards.

Thinking about it our backline is entirely made up of Southern Softies. Could be one of the many reasons for our downfall

Last edited:
Not now. He always has done.

This explains a lot about how Dean talks a good game but after 3 seasons the first 11 look totally ill prepared.

I mean, all the reports we have from players who've played under him describe how meticulous his preparation is, but maybe they're wrong and he's just blagged it up from Walsall to the Premier League.

But of course this is the Other Clubs thread.

So Smith has come out and said in this run of 4 defeats we only played badly for 45 mins at Arsenal !! WTF !
He needs to go , he's crazy

You're going to need to be patient. Dean's just trying to save his skin at the moment and justify what he's doing - his back is well and truly up against the wall. The only talking that matters will be what we see on the pitch and the results.

Also noises out the club appear to provide some mitigation on his behalf by pointing at the injuries and unavailability of key players - no I don't buy that either but that does indicate that even if we get tonked tomorrow (which I hope we don't) that they aren't ready to make a change yet and will dither for a few more games to see if he can turn it around.

Agree with all the above mate, his matey attitude is probably his managerial style, and the fact he’s a nice guy, but on Sunday when we lost the matey side rose it’s head once again, when live on TV he said ‘Decs (Declan Rice) got off a great strike’ not the kinda language I want to hear from our manager when we’ve been thumped at home, not the sort I want to hear ever.
I can’t think of any nice managers that have ever made it to the top, and stayed there, looking back being a bit of a bastard seems to get the best out of players or it did when you were dealing with men, players now (spoilt boys) feel they’re above the manager, I can’t ever imagine anyone being above the Cloughs, Shankly & Fergusons of this world, maybe the childish shit we see from the players these days is why so many managers fail.
Referring to him as "Decs" !? Please tell me that didn't actually take place

You're going to need to be patient. Dean's just trying to save his skin at the moment and justify what he's doing - his back is well and truly up against the wall. The only talking that matters will be what we see on the pitch and the results.

Also noises out the club appear to provide some mitigation on his behalf by pointing at the injuries and unavailability of key players - no I don't buy that either but that does indicate that even if we get tonked tomorrow (which I hope we don't) that they aren't ready to make a change yet and will dither for a few more games to see if he can turn it around.
I shouldn't be surprised, we as a club have a history of dithering and sleepwalking into trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.