Summer Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 136 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumour Thread

MA in his match preview talked about the agents of unattached players still demanding ridiculous wages and they appear not to realise that the longer a player goes unsigned and January draws nearer, it means there is no point in signing them as they won't be match fit anyway.

Greed and madness on the part of the agents and players. Football does not stand still, and will players like 24 year old Josh Sims for example (very tenuously linked with us) get another chance at L1 level, or are they in danger of having to take a big wage drop regardless and still have try to resurrect their careers at a lower level after January.

It doesn't say much about some players attitudes and desire, something that managers may remember in the future when choosing between one player over another.
It's possible, even in a relatively short time, that some have been so well paid that they don't have the financial pressure to force their hands. Sadly, many average players are ridiculously well rewarded for mediocrity. We've had plenty that have been rewarded well beyond their abilities!

It's possible, even in a relatively short time, that some have been so well paid that they don't have the financial pressure to force their hands. Sadly, many average players are ridiculously well rewarded for mediocrity. We've had plenty that have been rewarded well beyond their abilities!
A good point. I remember David Bentley retiring at a ridiculously young age, admitting that due to his earnings he no longer had the motivation to play. At least he had the honesty to do that and not steal a wage.

The Summer transfer thread should be put to bed. After 90 minutes watching under 12's hockey in the rain I can attest that Winter has arrived - probably brought on by the mention of Todd Jordan earlier in the thread.

MA in his match preview talked about the agents of unattached players still demanding ridiculous wages and they appear not to realise that the longer a player goes unsigned and January draws nearer, it means there is no point in signing them as they won't be match fit anyway.

Greed and madness on the part of the agents and players. Football does not stand still, and will players like 24 year old Josh Sims for example (very tenuously linked with us) get another chance at L1 level, or are they in danger of having to take a big wage drop regardless and still have to try to resurrect their careers at a lower level after January.

It doesn't say much about some players attitudes and desire, something that managers may remember in the future when choosing between one player over another.
sensible words from appleton, although two more hopperesque injuries to 1st team squad attackers would probably see him on the phone to sims' agent. for different reasons doncaster could also be about to make that call.

if sims (for example) has anything about him, he will have hired a personal trainer to keep him vaguely close to pro fitness. he knows the drills for top of league one level football from last season.

Jez George at 7 mins 50 secs talking about the transfer window.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09vx8fh

Cheers. Description of the window does sound like how it seemed from the outside really. I guess interesting that it doesn't sound like any permanent signings will come in through January so we'll be reliant on a couple (?) of loans! I hope Whittaker doesn't fall through again... and that any loans generally are more the Johnson/Eyoma/Walker type impacts than the Morton/Gotts/John-Jules types!

Missing out on Hanlan then the Whittaker loan falling through at the end does seem like it put a dampener on the whole window, although 1) it has felt like we are more than one player short, I guess because of the injuries and 2) I know he was apparently up at the training ground but the Swansea chain of selling a player who can leave on a free shortly and they never accepted a bid for and then signing a winger seemed a bit ridiculous.

I know he was apparently up at the training ground but the Swansea chain of selling a player who can leave on a free shortly and they never accepted a bid for and then signing a winger seemed a bit ridiculous.
What Russell Martin has said about the collapse of that move makes no sense. Firstly, he says he doesn't think a deal was ever done; why was Whittaker in Lincoln, then, visiting the cathedral? Then he says there were numerous conversations with Whittaker on deadline day about what was best for his future; as Martin has said several times that he wants Whittaker to go out on loan, that suggests that Whittaker was not keen. That would hardly have been conducive to an effective loan period. And the fact that he can't get into Swansea's match day squad (let alone the team) and that Martin is referring to Whittaker as having to do more, does this all suggest an attitude problem? Something isn't quite right about this one, it makes me a bit nervous.

Cheers. Description of the window does sound like how it seemed from the outside really. I guess interesting that it doesn't sound like any permanent signings will come in through January so we'll be reliant on a couple (?) of loans! I hope Whittaker doesn't fall through again... and that any loans generally are more the Johnson/Eyoma/Walker type impacts than the Morton/Gotts/John-Jules types!

Missing out on Hanlan then the Whittaker loan falling through at the end does seem like it put a dampener on the whole window, although 1) it has felt like we are more than one player short, I guess because of the injuries and 2) I know he was apparently up at the training ground but the Swansea chain of selling a player who can leave on a free shortly and they never accepted a bid for and then signing a winger seemed a bit ridiculous.
My short term memory is fading but iirc we were prepared to pay a six figure fee for Conlan and after that fell through we didn’t sign whoever might have been back up signing? Just wondering if we still have those transfer funds.

What's the story on this under 16 lad that we have supposedly 'sold' to another club? Rob Makepeace reads out a text at about 29 mins. Any truth in it?

I did some research after Rob mentioned it but could not find anything on the Web,