don't shout for scally to go! | Page 20 | Vital Football

don't shout for scally to go!

Oh right mate.
By normal job you meant working for someone else.
He wouldn’t last a week which is probably why he’s always worked for himself.
So you except what Rotherhithe says.Meaning in theory at least if Scally were to sell there is a possibility that someone could do a better job if they were more professional?

Absolutely Chris.
Someone could do better.
Someone else could take us under.
That is true .But then based on staying still Scally could also take us under.Sooner or later he simply will not have the finances to pay league players and himself out of falling gates.Or do you think he will start managing the club better when it come to the crunch?

That is true .But then based on staying still Scally could also take us under.Sooner or later he simply will not have the finances to pay league players and himself out of falling gates.Or do you think he will start managing the club better when it come to the crunch?
I dunno Chris.

I dunno Chris.
I think we agree .I won't drive Mr Scally out of support any demo but I also will not defend the indefensible. He is currently keeping us afloat if fans are happy with that that's their call .They will continue to support him others have a different position. I am in Suffolk and that fact means I will not be the most regular supporter .I would guess you are in a similar situation. Scally needs to change or leave, failure to change leaves the club in a poor situation long term .If Scally changed that would not nessersary bring back those who have walked away .But it might stop the rot .

Last edited:
As a GFC supporter, I’m content just to be in existence given what the world is going through and hopefully stay in the third tier of English football.
With Evans in charge, I can’t see the team struggling with relegation this season.
As for the future, who knows ?
Like all managers say, it’s all about the next game.

So after this long thread, the conclusion is for us to carry on as we are, and be grateful that we aren’t a Bury?
It seems so .It seems that at least those on here are in the main happy and perhaps willing to except Paul Scally for the foreseeable future.Most can't see any reason what so ever why anyone would stop going because of the actions of our chairman.

So you suggest we stop going just because we don't like Scally? How would that help the financial situation at the club? We'd be in proper sh*t within months and probably go out of existence by the end of the season.
Yep, sounds like a true Gills fan...you do realise there has been a pandemic where millions of working class men and women (the main audience for league one football) have been furloughed and have or will lose their jobs?
Sorry Chris, we all have a reason for not getting to games, mine is working a 60 or 72 hour week with mainly just a Sunday off. I'd love to go a lot more because I'm a Gills fan but can assure you that I'm not so sensitive that having Scally as Chairman will stop me.
Mistakes are made but I genuinely feel he has the club at heart and makes the best of an unenviable task. I've gone on record as saying that he has taken us as far as he can without a massive injection of cash but that isn't coming for the foreseeable future so we are where we are for now unless you have a solution? Set up some stocks on the strand? Gallows in the centre circle?
The best way to get us out of the situation is to encourage more people to go, not a rallying cry for fans to leave.

So after this long thread, the conclusion is for us to carry on as we are, and be grateful that we aren’t a Bury?

Certainly thats the view of many Lark. Be grateful for what we have and there is some truth in that.

I'll stick with my view that there won't be many large scale protests but apathy will just see more stop going which as nobby suggests will do us more harm and is negative cycle.

I don't agree with many on here that there is no one interested in buying an unfashionable league one club. I accept there is no one on the terms previously offered.

Our best hope is we have a pick up in form and that brings a few back and we start talking about great goals and exciting wing play and not scallys rant.

I've written myself a note on a post it and stuck it above the monitor "no more season ticket renewals". I think I'm done. It's going to be much easier to pick and choose games next season. In truth I should never have renewed this season following the way scally dealt with season tickets from before, but I felt I wanted to do my bit post pandemic. I've done that but I do struggle with how scally runs the club/communicates to the fans, especially his tone. The false promises. How is the monthly season ticket draw going ?

I'll dare to dream of better but not expect it without a change at the top.

I do admire the loyalty of those who support him whatever he does though. He's lucky to have those people.

Here's hoping for a better future whoevers in charge.

So you suggest we stop going just because we don't like Scally? How would that help the financial situation at the club? We'd be in proper sh*t within months and probably go out of existence by the end of the season.
Yep, sounds like a true Gills fan...you do realise there has been a pandemic where millions of working class men and women (the main audience for league one football) have been furloughed and have or will lose their jobs?
Sorry Chris, we all have a reason for not getting to games, mine is working a 60 or 72 hour week with mainly just a Sunday off. I'd love to go a lot more because I'm a Gills fan but can assure you that I'm not so sensitive that having Scally as Chairman will stop me.
Mistakes are made but I genuinely feel he has the club at heart and makes the best of an unenviable task. I've gone on record as saying that he has taken us as far as he can without a massive injection of cash but that isn't coming for the foreseeable future so we are where we are for now unless you have a solution? Set up some stocks on the strand? Gallows in the centre circle?
The best way to get us out of the situation is to encourage more people to go, not a rallying cry for fans to leave.
I don't claim to know the answer other than the fact as I see it that Scally must change. Investment by fans who are given a genuine input would be my solution. Scally has always had total 100% control.I would hope that if he really wanted the club to prosper he would sell say 24% of his shares to a investor or investors to fund a investment of the kind that Peterborough have shown works .Offer those worthy new contracts that they genuinely can consider. Also offer all those ticket holders what is rightfully their's.With the offer say that the remaining money not taken up will go straight into the managers to fund team investment. Ideally buying a quality young player who the club could later sell to fund others.
That for me would be the way forward under Scally but to do so he would possibly have to have a proper voting board of directors.
That is how I would like to move forward. The alternatives is not that promising to be honest.

Investment by fans will be a hard sell Chris.

Any shareholders on here ?
Ideally I would like to two or three high powered investors .People like Colin Jarvis and other business types who would be able to bring their business skills to the boardroom even if was only a once a month meeting. The shares that were sold before had no such power attached and were basically a gift in the end .It is those sort of acts that has helped fuel the problems that Scally has.A partial sale to real business people would probably help attendances and build bridges without selling the club.

Ideally I would like to two or three high powered investors .People like Colin Jarvis and other business types who would be able to bring their business skills to the boardroom even if was only a once a month meeting. The shares that were sold before had no such power attached and were basically a gift in the end .It is those sort of acts that has helped fuel the problems that Scally has.A partial sale to real business people would probably help attendances and build bridges without selling the club.

OK sorry I thought you meant to "typical fans". I agree with your thoughts then.

OK sorry I thought you meant to "typical fans". I agree with your thoughts then.
That or perhaps allow those shares already purchased to be resold and offer the same percentage of his own shares. But all must become voting shares to win over people. Not sure of company rules but I don't have a problem with Scally holding a majority as long as he can be given and take advice from people who make money in their own businesses.Most important thing in my book is Scally needs to be more accountable.

Wanted - High powered investor, willing to invest money as a gift. Will need to spend time giving advice in the boardroom, without receiving any stake in company. Harp playing skills would be an advantage. Apply below

As a GFC supporter, I’m content just to be in existence given what the world is going through and hopefully stay in the third tier of English football.
With Evans in charge, I can’t see the team struggling with relegation this season.
As for the future, who knows ?
Like all managers say, it’s all about the next game.
The voice of reason.

Wanted - High powered investor, willing to invest money as a gift. Will need to spend time giving advice in the boardroom, without receiving any stake in company. Harp playing skills would be an advantage. Apply below
Sous chef skills would also be an advantage.

I see two camps who have had enough with Scally:

- those who disagree with the decisions he makes, usually CEO-level

- those who want a new owner who will put their own money in so we can compete (initially) above our turnover

The season ticket refund issue was a PR disaster, even if it did ensure we kept running as a business. But otherwise I feel many other issues should be at the hands of the Marketing Manager or CEO - are their hands tied financially, or is Scally micro-managing too much?

With the latter - finding someone who will plough money in, I find it a stab in the dark. It panders to the wider problem with football and can put us in a precarious position both ownership-wise and financially unless that owner will either gift us money with no strings attached, or otherwise invests frugally in conjunction with a very good manager/director of football. Hardly anyone has successfully operated the later other than Brentford, and really we need to judge where they are in 5 years.

Watching another team because you can’t compete financially at your level is pathetic IMO.