don't shout for scally to go! | Vital Football

don't shout for scally to go!

He is right that it is the minority and I don't condone the abuse but as far as results and performances go, the Covid excuse does not float as every opponent was affected in the same way.

Also, the threat to walk away before a new owner is found would be damaging for fans but there is no way that it would be in his financial interests either.

If any owner of any team willingly put it in to liquidation just to sell off its remaining asset(s) and pocket it themselves, it would be a first and he would be a pariah around the whole football world and beyond.

He is right that it is the minority and I don't condone the abuse but as far as results and performances go, the Covid excuse does not float as every opponent was affected in the same way.

Also, the threat to walk away before a new owner is found would be damaging for fans but there is no way that it would be in his financial interests either.

If any owner of any team willingly put it in to liquidation just to sell off its remaining asset(s) and pocket it themselves, it would be a first and he would be a pariah around the whole football world and beyond.

I think Scally was specifically referring to our pre-season being interrupted by COVID from within the camp. I don’t think all other clubs were affected in the same way.

He is right that driving him out would do us no good.
This loan limits our spending. My guess is that clubs are limited to spend net no more than last season. Logically Evans will keep looking a trialist and offer Akindie another chance of a chance to leave if and when we find another attacking player possibly a winger .That will of course mean that the players we already have like Carayol can be used more centrally.

Scally could if driven out simply sell to the highest bidder regardless of their plans.

He is right that driving him out would do us no good.
This loan limits our spending. My guess is that clubs are limited to spend net no more than last season. Logically Evans will keep looking a trialist and offer Akindie another chance of a chance to leave if and when we find another attacking player possibly a winger .That will of course mean that the players we already have like Carayol can be used more centrally.
I would imagine the terms of the loan are more to do with what you can do with cash rather than purely a limit on spending.
The loans are designed to keep clubs afloat that may otherwise struggle to survive. They are not there for clubs to splash it on having a stronger squad than they may otherwise had.

Scally could if driven out simply sell to the highest bidder regardless of their plans.

They would have to pass the EFL's fit and proper owner test, though.

Easy to be sceptical about how strong those regulations are after the experiences of the Spotters and the like, but I think anyone planning to quickly liquidate/wind up the club and sell off the ground would not be likely to pass.

If you run a business, especially one as emotive as a local football club, with passionate fans, then a certain amount of flak will go with it.

However, the history of our club would have been very different over the last quarter century. I remember the dark days of 89-95 when for long periods we were probably the worst team in the league.

The alternative history could easily have been, gone bust, reformed in minor league football, tried to work our way back. Priestfield possibly sold off to pay debts.

It is very difficult to come back through non league football, we may not have made it back to the league by now, just look at some ex-league teams struggling, Hereford, Chester, Darlington, Chesterfield, York etc.

There would have been no Wemblies, no Fa cup 6th rounds no Championship football, no Hessenthalers, Asabas, or SBTs. No league football at all.

Yes our current predicament may be frustrating trying to compete with big spenders like Ipswich, Sunderland, Portsmouth, etc and we may be drifting along in league 1 but the alternative can always be a lot worse.

When we were in the Championship, there were a group of clubs that you would not have thought of as being traditional second tier clubs that included ourselves. The ITV digital collapse hit those clubs the hardest of all. They had to pay competitive wages simply to survive at that level. Those clubs included Stockport County, Tranmere Rovers, Grimsby Town, Walsall and Crewe. That event caused a shock wave that has had long term consequences for all those clubs. The first three have all been down to the non league level and indeed two are still there. Walsall and Crewe have both followed similar patterns to Gillingham with a lot of time in League 2 but have steered clear of non league.

Given that’s the history I’m not sure what else the Club could have been expected to achieve. And Gillingham has no more illustrious pedigree than any of the clubs I’ve listed.

It's tough at the top, seriously. Football chairmen can make most of the big decisions, lord it at matches and events and lap up the praise if an when it comes. Occasionally a Wembley moment lifts the owner to unimagined heights and the glow can last but we all know the other side of the coin, which is as grim as the upside is good. We have plenty of ultra loyal fans, plenty more thoroughly decent ones and fortunately far fewer ones capable of truly unpleasant behaviour.

It's easy for me to think that Scally should try to ignore, or at least downplay the nasty stuff but I don't have his job and I don't have to deal with it. The problem is that the more he protests, the less sympathy he is likely to attract. That's not all his fault more just how these things work. Most of us have made our own minds up about the more far out anti Scally views and somewhat share the views of the chairman, he should take comfort from that. Some time ago when Peter Taylor was manager Scally confided in fans at a meeting that his manager was overly affected by fans' negative opinions and they tried to shield him from them. Perhaps someone might do that for Scally, or he could learn to be more thick skinned via sessions with Mr Stimson because there is no future in inflating fools.

It's not nice to have people abusing you or chanting for you to go, but I do think Scally has become far too sensitive and defensive. It's all part of the same thing many of us have referred to over the years - he really needs some professional help with handling his PR and communications. Give me a call Paul!

It's not nice to have people abusing you or chanting for you to go, but I do think Scally has become far too sensitive and defensive. It's all part of the same thing many of us have referred to over the years - he really needs some professional help with handling his PR and communications. Give me a call Paul!

I think it’s his character to defend himself. Sometimes, and especially with social media, it’s best just to ignore the bullshit.

It's tough at the top, seriously. Football chairmen can make most of the big decisions, lord it at matches and events and lap up the praise if an when it comes. Occasionally a Wembley moment lifts the owner to unimagined heights and the glow can last but we all know the other side of the coin, which is as grim as the upside is good. We have plenty of ultra loyal fans, plenty more thoroughly decent ones and fortunately far fewer ones capable of truly unpleasant behaviour.

It's easy for me to think that Scally should try to ignore, or at least downplay the nasty stuff but I don't have his job and I don't have to deal with it. The problem is that the more he protests, the less sympathy he is likely to attract. That's not all his fault more just how these things work. Most of us have made our own minds up about the more far out anti Scally views and somewhat share the views of the chairman, he should take comfort from that. Some time ago when Peter Taylor was manager Scally confided in fans at a meeting that his manager was overly affected by fans' negative opinions and they tried to shield him from them. Perhaps someone might do that for Scally, or he could learn to be more thick skinned via sessions with Mr Stimson because there is no future in inflating fools.

Wise words, Jogills. I suppose the thing about PS is that he appears to be a very passionate person, especially when it comes to GFC. At some away games i`ve seen him visibly sink, in an emotional sense, when so called Gills fans have "sung" senseless garbage aimed directly at him.

I`m in the camp that feels PS cares very much about every aspect of the Football Club and he wants the best for GFC. Very few, if any, among us fans knows what goes on behind the boardroom door, which makes it very easy to criticise - for what it`s worth I trust PS to do the best job for GFC and its future.

You`re bang-on when you say "there is no future in inflating fools" but ignoring them at away games is becoming increasingly difficult - it was bad at some games the last season we were in stadia, it seems worse this time around.

It`s getting to the stage when the near-fights and scuffles between Gills fans become actual fights - i don`t want to see that, but it`s close to happening. It was at boiling point at Shrewsbury and if we are stuck in a small corner at Burton next week (instead of the open terracing) the cramped conditions will likely test the temperament of some.

Come on you blues.....

Why does he just 'ignore" people, like you can on here. I don't know about titter, but FB you can block people, so you don't see their posts like on here. Then Scally will think everyone agrees with him 🙂

Good luck Lancs, all depressingly familiar. I have no problems criticising Scally and he deserves some but he's done good too and not to acknowledge that is crazy. I think a number of people, who may have been a bit that way inclined anyway, have been cranking themselves up over the last 18 months and are now ready to explode at the least excuse. That doesn't only apply to GFC, or even football. We need a couple of wins against the odds to change the mood.

I would love to meet these people, find out what they think would happen if I left and walked out. Do they know what I do or understand how a football club runs, the pressures and the strains and the difficulties?

There is no need for abuse (How many times have I said that ?? :oops:)

But the idea that Scally is a "saviour".....
(Surely a businessman who found a comfortable income - with perks ?)

"if he walked out" .........what exactly ?

Despite the handful of horror stories and scandals from Clubs with high profile owners, there appear to be plenty of clubs that plod along - stuck in one division - or flitting between two.

Without doing the research, I cannot be sure, but I suspect that the "plodders" - along with a handful of successes - have a Board of Directors that work as a team.

Does reaching the top tier require one, prominent individual - willing to take huge risks?
Do Bournemouth and Brentford fit that model - or a team approach?

If you run a business, especially one as emotive as a local football club, with passionate fans, then a certain amount of flak will go with it.

However, the history of our club would have been very different over the last quarter century. I remember the dark days of 89-95 when for long periods we were probably the worst team in the league.

The alternative history could easily have been, gone bust, reformed in minor league football, tried to work our way back. Priestfield possibly sold off to pay debts.

It is very difficult to come back through non league football, we may not have made it back to the league by now, just look at some ex-league teams struggling, Hereford, Chester, Darlington, Chesterfield, York etc.

There would have been no Wemblies, no Fa cup 6th rounds no Championship football, no Hessenthalers, Asabas, or SBTs. No league football at all.

Good points, but when Scally first came in and appointed Pulis (which incidentally I understand was on a suggestion from Tony Smith), the first team he put together was, on paper, not much better than the 89-95 one. The first transfer fee paid was £5k for Leo Fortune-West from non-league and was raised by the supporters club rather than Scally. Remember Mark Harris, Mick Bodley, Billy Manuel (second time), Dave Martin, Kevin Rattray, BFJ etc? Real journeymen footballers but Pulis produced a system that got the best out of them. Simon Ratcliffe was the only free transfer that was an obvious upgrade.

I think the club did pay a five figure sum for Dennis Bailey but that was about it. I would also give credit to Scally for raising £100k to back Pulis in the signing of Akinbiyi the following season. The later profit from that went on to allow us to afford the likes of Asaba and SBT, so it was a bit of a snowball effect.

The Chairman can be best judged by how many new streams of income and investment he has brought in to the club, on the assumption that it is more than he takes out. However much he may curse ITV digital, it did deliver some income at the start. The amount that the EFL pays each club has also increased, year on year. The share issue take up allowed the building of the Medway stand and conference/entertainment facilities.

As for the clubs that have gone out of the league or gone bust before reforming as new clubs, some, like the Wombles, have gone on to not only climb the leagues but build brand new stadiums. What about Accrington? or Barrow?

Without doing the research, I cannot be sure, but I suspect that the "plodders" - along with a handful of successes - have a Board of Directors that work as a team.
Does reaching the top tier require one, prominent individual - willing to take huge risks?
Do Bournemouth and Brentford fit that model - or a team approach?

Now, there is a revolutionary idea ! :rolleyes:

Wise words, Jogills. I suppose the thing about PS is that he appears to be a very passionate person, especially when it comes to GFC. At some away games i`ve seen him visibly sink, in an emotional sense, when so called Gills fans have "sung" senseless garbage aimed directly at him.

I`m in the camp that feels PS cares very much about every aspect of the Football Club and he wants the best for GFC. Very few, if any, among us fans knows what goes on behind the boardroom door, which makes it very easy to criticise - for what it`s worth I trust PS to do the best job for GFC and its future.

You`re bang-on when you say "there is no future in inflating fools" but ignoring them at away games is becoming increasingly difficult - it was bad at some games the last season we were in stadia, it seems worse this time around.

It`s getting to the stage when the near-fights and scuffles between Gills fans become actual fights - i don`t want to see that, but it`s close to happening. It was at boiling point at Shrewsbury and if we are stuck in a small corner at Burton next week (instead of the open terracing) the cramped conditions will likely test the temperament of some.

Come on you blues.....

I think the thing that annoys me most is the claim that he isn’t a supporter. That seems to be based on his previous Millwall allegiance. If you’d ever spoken to him you’d really understand how much he cares. Also, as I’ve commented previously he’s much more widely respected in football than people imagine.