The international Break thread.. | Page 5 | Vital Football

The international Break thread..

This article was written on 25 August - https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/...untries-international-break-full-list-1167627

Within that a PL statement....

The clubs’ decision, which is strongly supported by the Premier League, will apply to nearly 60 players from 19 Premier League clubs who are due to travel to 26 red-list countries in the September international window.

“This follows Fifa’s current position not to extend its temporary release exception for players required to quarantine on their return from international duty.

“Extensive discussions have taken place with both the FA and the Government to find a solution, but due to ongoing public health concerns relating to incoming travellers from red-list countries, no exemption has been granted.

“If required to quarantine on return from red-list countries, not only would players’ welfare and fitness be significantly impacted, but they would also be unavailable to prepare for and play in two Premier League match rounds, a Uefa club competition matchday and the third round of the EFL Cup.

“This period takes into consideration 10 days of hotel quarantine on return to England but does not include any additional time that would be required for players to regain match fitness.”

Whilst the first 3 words are "The clubs' decision" it does look like The FA and our government were involved. It feels like the clubs were backed to keep players at home.

By the way, Ben Davies has shown again why we should have sold him. Absolutely terrible performance against a 3rd tier team.

But Spurs love stacking squad players for no reason.

lol - whilst in other news Sess returns from the U21's injured, and Reggie flies off to Spain as a late call up.

Cirkin already played 5 games for Sunderland and are top of the league.

My guess is that Davies is on Fabio's list.

Isn't a player entitled to challenge the Premier League and their clubs ruling though?

I not sufficiently savvy on the governance of the game I admit but I thought FIFA were the final arbiters on the rules and regulations of the game.

Does the PL have the right to make a ruling that's in contravention of the governing body's laws? It's like a company making a rule that's illegal by law. They can't do it.

So whose rules do the players follow? FIFA's or their clubs and the PL?

It would have been interesting if England had to play an away game against a country on the 'red list'. Would the PL have so readily banned players from travelling?

That's an insult and playing the man, not the ball. That is not tolerated on here. How dare you. I have a valid point you may not agree with. There is no need to be derogatory.

You're having a reasoned debate - as in all debates there are many facets to it, afraid I can't agree that pointing out that your statements can be taken as contradictory is 'playing the man'.

Calling you names for the sake of it would be playing the man but pointing out that you might be making contradictory statements could be construed as such doesn't hold true - perhaps the response should have been 'how am I being contradictory and tying myself in knots, show me or quote me' might have been a more valid response.

NRD we've also brought in Romero and Emerson both of which should improve the first 11

With their current fitness levels and our history in getting players ready, as well as the current form off Japhet, Sanchez and Dier, I don't see either as an improvement for this season.

Last season PEH and Reggie walked in our 11, this season, no addition can make a 1st 11 claim from the get go.

It worked brilliantly.

The core of the most successful Spurs team in PL history was built through buying 25+ experienced, international players internationals who played European football with clubs:
  • Lloris - 26 years old when joined
  • Verts - 25
  • Toby - 26
  • Dembele - 25
  • Wanyama - 25

I'd argue that buying young foreign talent is the riskiest approach we've taken so far,. Here's a partial list of players who were 23 or younger when joined:
Lamela, N'Jie, N'koudo, Janssen, Chirces, Yedlin, Wimmer, Foyth, Lo Celso, Ndombele

The only young players we bought abroad and really made it are Modric, Eriksen, Dier played in Portugal so classing as foreign) and Sanchez, and only Modric & Eriksen were world class.

The best success we had was buying young local talent (Bale, Rose, Walker, Dele), something we abandoned completely, and I hope we resolve this soon.

The reality is that any transfer is risky business, but IMO we really need a balanced approach,and this window we placed all the eggs in one basket - the riskiest one.
All good points, the only thing I would say is look at the fee we paid for those players. We bought the 5 you listed for the same money we've paid for Romero and Gil

With their current fitness levels and our history in getting players ready, as well as the current form off Japhet, Sanchez and Dier, I don't see either as an improvement for this season.

Last season PEH and Reggie walked in our 11, this season, no addition can make a 1st 11 claim from the get go.

They may already have had an impact by getting existing players who's positions are under threat to be more focused.

Often, this is the way of things.

Wait, so UK quarantine rules dictate that if they are coming from Croatia to the UK then they don't need to quarantine even if they were very recently in a red list country? What a garbage rule that really is. You might as well not have any country on the red list. No wonder the world is in such a mess with the lack of conviction given to travel rules during a pandemic.

Mind you I'm just surprised that FIFA/EUFA/CONMEBOL/FA/Premier League/UK gov/Colombel/whoever else sticks their nose into football, haven't payed arranged a deal to get footballers exempt yet.
That's probably the problem a few Reais in the right hands and "problem? What problem!"

Last edited:
You're having a reasoned debate - as in all debates there are many facets to it, afraid I can't agree that pointing out that your statements can be taken as contradictory is 'playing the man'.

Calling you names for the sake of it would be playing the man but pointing out that you might be making contradictory statements could be construed as such doesn't hold true - perhaps the response should have been 'how am I being contradictory and tying myself in knots, show me or quote me' might have been a more valid response.

I have not contradicted myself. I have not wavered from my point once. I have not tied myself in knots at all and suggesting I call it a day is rude and condescending.

Re. the Gil/Lamela debate:

I personally see that as an improvement on our starting SQUAD over last season. IMO, we certainly are NOT worse off.

Gil was thrown in v Pacos and I am sure Lamela could also have started that game. Of late (Poch + Jose), newbies barely got an instant start. So that's a plus.

Then v Watford Gil made the bench, which imo Lamela would've done too. The latter was regularly used as a sub. The fact that Gil only appeared for 5 mins is Nuno's prerogative and I was disappointed in his subs when the game was crying out for some creativity.

Lamela and Lo were very similar players and it was often a case of one or the other, rarely both. Gil offers something totally different to Lo so, he adds something to the squad over last season.

Obviously time will tell whether Gil gets a regular start but so far I'd say he's matched what I'd have expected of Lamela in the opening fixtures....even got an assist!

I won't mention the cost saving, squad place + refreshing of personnel and the benefits that's likely to bring.

Isn't a player entitled to challenge the Premier League and their clubs ruling though?

I not sufficiently savvy on the governance of the game I admit but I thought FIFA were the final arbiters on the rules and regulations of the game.

Does the PL have the right to make a ruling that's in contravention of the governing body's laws? It's like a company making a rule that's illegal by law. They can't do it.

So whose rules do the players follow? FIFA's or their clubs and the PL?

It would have been interesting if England had to play an away game against a country on the 'red list'. Would the PL have so readily banned players from travelling?

I'm guessing that no party knows football governance holistically as there is overlap everywhere. A few cases like IFAB, where it is a clear centralised governance model with voting rights for the rules. Mostly others are grey area though and a lot of dissatisfaction all round.

Even if FIFA were the final arbiters, they don't trump country laws and governments. In this case, if you want to be an exception to a country's legislation, then you need to go there to get permission. If they say no, then it is NO.

Brazil's authorities are sort of saying that the first they could see that the 4 players weren't self isolating for 14 days is when they took to the pitch. Before that, they trusted that they were, just like any other citizen. Therefore, they quite rightly took action and isolated them. Good for them.

It sounds like FIFA tried a mind game, thinking no country would have the balls to make exceptions of footballers. How wrong they were. Perhaps they'll wake up now and put a structured process in place. That might mean some football being played next summer when quarantine rules can be honoured.