The international Break thread.. | Vital Football

The international Break thread..

Tottenham drop hint over Giovani Lo Celso and Cristian Romero stance after Argentina controversy
Giovani Lo Celso and Cristian Romero are back in South America ahead of Argentina's World Cup qualifiers

https://www.football.london/tottenh.../lo-celso-romero-tottenham-argentina-21463827

By
Rob GuestTottenham Hotspur Writer
  • 12:26, 2 SEP 2021

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you've consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time.More info
Giovani Lo Celso and Cristian Romero will be involved in international action in the early hours of Friday morning following their controversial Argentina call-ups.

Not expected to travel to South America for the first international break of the season with Premier League sides not wanting their players to travel to red-list countries due to the strict 10-day quarantine period upon their return, the Spurs duo departed for their home country on Sunday evening after an agreement was struck.

Both Lo Celso and Romero were joined on their flight by Aston Villa duo Emi Martinez and Emi Buendia.

Facing thee games over the next week as World Cup qualification resumes, it is understood that Spurs - as other Premier League clubs have done - believe they have currently agreed with their players to not play in the final match of their three international fixtures.

That would mean that Lo Celso and Romero return back to the capital after the crunch clash against Brazil on Sunday, September 5, with fellow Spurs teammate Davinson Sanchez doing likewise after Colombia's game against Paraguay the same day.

Well, what seems to have now complicated matters even further for Spurs and their South America players is that Argentina boss Lionel Scaloni has stressed that all players called up for international duty are in contention for all three games.

“We gave the list for the three games and there are no doubts about that. The players are here to play the three games,” he said (as reported by Argentine publication Olé via Sport Witness).

Despite the comments from Scaloni about the Spurs pair staying for all three fixtures, Tottenham seem to have made their stance pretty clear when it comes to the games both will be involved in.

There is no mention of any international fixtures involving Tottenham players beyond Wednesday on the club's official website despite Argentina due to play in the early hours of Friday morning (Image: tottenhamhotspur.com)
Showing on the club website a breakdown of all the international games their players will be involved in this month, Lo Celso and Romero's final international game of September is down to be the showdown against Brazil on Sunday.

The same goes for Sanchez following Colombia's match away at Paraguay on the same day as no international games are mentioned beyond Wednesday, September 8.

Should the players return as Spurs have planned, they would miss the upcoming games against Crystal Palace and Rennes following their isolation period upon their return.

They could then potentially be available to face Chelsea on Sunday, September 19 but that will all depend on where they are in terms of their fitness.

A later return as Scaloni has alluded to would see them miss the aforementioned games and possibly the Carabao Cup clash away at Wolves.

However, rather than spending a 10-day quarantine period in a government-designated hotel in the UK, reports from Argentina have suggested that the players could instead head to a Croatian island for a training camp instead.

From the latest transfer news to those glorious wins in north London and beyond! There might even be a laugh or two too.

Subscribe, download and listen to all of the episodes so far and those to come at: Apple podcasts, Google podcasts, Spreaker, Spotify, Acast or another provider.

When pressed further on the controversy surrounding the selections, Scaloni revealed that they "came to the conclusion that they had to come" after talks with the European clubs impacted by the call-ups.

"There was a lot of talk that they were not going to give in to the players… I want to emphasise the position of our footballers for themselves, it is a plus that we have it. I thank you for coming, it is a step forward for the national team," he explained.

“Since I have been part of the national team, both youth and senior, I have always seen the same predisposition. But when you win something, everything is magnified, Argentine players always want to be there. And that is a plus. Now something nice comes. It is an important challenge to qualify for the World Cup.

“With regard to the clubs in Europe we never had a refusal, we have debated. We talked and came to the conclusion that they had to come. We are happy that they are with us. And now to play, which is the most important thing.”

England resume their 2022 World Cup qualifying campaign away to Hungary tonight, in what is potentially the trickiest test in their bid to reach Qatar.
Of course, Gareth Southgate’s side go into the match on the back of coming within a penalty shootout of winning their first trophy since 1966.
Hungary failed to reach the knockout stages of Euro 2020 but gave a good account of themselves in the so-called ‘Group of Death’.

They were supposed to be the whipping boys but led Germany until the final six minutes of their match, a result that would have been enough to go through.

Both sides are unbeaten in Group I, where only the winners are guaranteed qualification, but England hold a two-point lead at the top after Hungary dropped points in their 3-3 draw with Poland.

Date, kick-off time and venue
Hungary vs England will kick-off at 7.45pm BST this evening.
The match will be at the Puskas Arena in Budapest, one of the grounds that hosted Euro 2020.
Where to watch Hungary v England
The game is being screened live by ITV with the programme starting at 7.15pm.
There is also a highlights show featuring this match and others from across Europe at 10.45pm.
And you can also follow live coverage with Standard Sport’s match blog.
Hungary v England team news
Jadon Sancho is the one concern for Southgate as the manager revealed on Wednesday that the winger had picked up a knock.
Earlier in the week, England had lost striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin after he injured his thigh during Everton’s win over Brighton on Saturday.
Southgate did not draft in a replacement, raising the prospect that Patrick Bamford may see some action off the bench after getting his first call-up. The Leeds striker was on target in the 1-1 draw with Burnley on Sunday, his first Premier League goal of the season after hitting 17 last term.
On Tuesday, Hungary lost Hajduk Split defender Gergo Lovrencsics after the 44-cap international damaged ankle ligaments.

Hungary v England prediction
The bulk of the Hungary squad is the same as that which impressed at Euro 2020 with additions including debutants in striker Daniel Salloi and defender Mark Tamas.

And as they showed at those finals, it would be wrong to take them lightly.
But England made their own mark this summer, have also got the majority of the players who served them so well then, and welcomed back Trent Alexander-Arnold, who missed out through injury.

A tight game, yes, but one that England will edge.
Hungary 1 England 2
Head to head (h2h) history and results
England wins 15
Hungary wins 5
Draws 2
Their last meeting was in 2010 when England won 2-1 with both goals coming from Steven Gerrard.
It is almost 40 years since their last competitive clash, with England running out 3-0 winners in Budapest. Glenn Hoddle opened the scoring in the Euro 84 qualifier.

As much as I dislike Ronaldo for his arrogant persona, I do genuinely admire what he has done and achieved. Therefore a well done to him for breaking an all time int'l record for goals scored.

On a relevant note, Kane should watch what pace and energy can do to as Ronaldo (@ 36yrs old) rose above others to head those two goals, though I am sure Kane could match or better Ronaldo for the penalty conversions?!!.

Last edited:
Anyone managed to get any feedback re. Bryan Gil following Spain U21 4-1 win over Russia U21?

Apparently he played until 80 mins.

According to Sky feed: 47 mins.

Goal! Spain U21 2, Russia U21 1. Yeremi Pino (Spain U21) right footed shot from the centre of the box to the centre of the goal. Assisted by Bryan Gil.

I watched some of Argentina the night before. Lo Celso had an assist.

The problem for him is Argentina play very fluid with a lot of quick passing in the final 3rd. Their movement as a team is at another level. There could be as many as 6 of their players around the 18 yd box, constantly moving. He'll never see that at Spurs

I watched some of Argentina the night before. Lo Celso had an assist.

The problem for him is Argentina play very fluid with a lot of quick passing in the final 3rd. Their movement as a team is at another level. There could be as many as 6 of their players around the 18 yd box, constantly moving. He'll never see that at Spurs

I think we could play that way...but we need to get the likes of Gil on the pitch with him and Lucas and Son all at the same time. (and no Kane isn't part of that strategy...not his style. His style is to meander aimlessly)

I honestly think Nuno would like us to eventually get to that...but we need to slowly get those pieces on the field.

I think we could play that way...but we need to get the likes of Gil on the pitch with him and Lucas and Son all at the same time. (and no Kane isn't part of that strategy...not his style. His style is to meander aimlessly)

I honestly think Nuno would like us to eventually get to that...but we need to slowly get those pieces on the field.

Slightly different take on it, but if we put our most intelligent footballers on the pitch together, who would that be? Surely, if we moved to the highest wavelength then guys like Moura wouldn't be involved. Would Sonny? I have no doubts that Kane, Gio, Dele, Tanguy would and have a feeling Gil would as well.

Anyone can pass and run, but not everyone knows how to run intelligently and pass intelligently. That is what Pep has been working on for years with his boys. Gets you wondering whether Nuno will want to go through the same gears.

Slightly different take on it, but if we put our most intelligent footballers on the pitch together, who would that be? Surely, if we moved to the highest wavelength then guys like Moura wouldn't be involved. Would Sonny? I have no doubts that Kane, Gio, Dele, Tanguy would and have a feeling Gil would as well.

Anyone can pass and run, but not everyone knows how to run intelligently and pass intelligently. That is what Pep has been working on for years with his boys. Gets you wondering whether Nuno will want to go through the same gears.
Echoes my view Muttley. Yep, it involves sacrificing Moura and Berg imo and a toss up between retaining Dele/Skipp.

At this juncture, I just want to see Nuno being a bit brave and throwing Gil in at the deep end and have cajones to sub Kane when never getting out of 3rd gear. Will he though?!.

No idea what Nuno's remit his for this season. Seeing we are on 100% so early on, does he flex and be brave or will he remain pragmatic?

Hope Poch's idea of 3 months induction for newbies is history, but no idea how Nuno sees their introduction.

Seeing Moura drew the short straw upon Kane's return did irk me somewhat and no doubt would've pissed a few of the squad members too. Kane had effectively zero pre-season, barely adapted to Nuno's philosophy, but gets the nod to start.

So I have to reserve my judgement and curb my optimism on Nuno's ability to provide that DNA turnaround.

PS. Some of the changes implement thus far are encouraging.

Last edited:
Echoes my view Muttley. Yep, it involves sacrificing Moura and Berg imo and a toss up between retaining Dele/Skipp.

At this juncture, I just want to see Nuno being a bit brave and throwing Gil in at the deep end and have cajones to sub Kane when never getting out of 3rd gear. Will he though?!.

No idea what Nuno's remit his for this season. Seeing we are on 100% so early on, does he flex and be brave or will he remain pragmatic?

Hope Poch's idea of 3 months induction for newbies is history, but no idea how Nuno sees their introduction.

Seeing Moura drew the short straw upon Kane's return did irk me somewhat and no doubt would've pissed a few of the squad members too. Kane had effectively zero pre-season, barely adapted to Nuno's philosophy, but gets the nod to start.

So I have to reserve my judgement and curb my optimism on Nuno's ability to provide that DNA turnaround.

PS. Some of the changes implement thus far are encouraging.

In some ways, comparing Dele and Skipp at this stage is very tough on Dele. Skipp plays a very simple position. He protects the back line and feeds the play makers further forward. He uses his defensive smarts to be in the right position at the right time and he is clearly brave in the way he plays.

Dele's role is on another level of complexity. He could focus all game on sitting like Skipp does, but he knows he has to get up and down the pitch and be the receiver from Skipp. We all know that at his best there is barely a player in the Prem better at pulling players out of their positions and creating holes for others. For me, that is his biggest attribute and is achieved by his marathon running. His football intelligence is in some ways ahead of his technique.

Perhaps the better comparison is Bergwijn and Dele. I'm really liking how Stevie's game enables others. His constant movement and defensive smarts has been a massive factor this season. However, we all see him fail to execute some simple passes and his finishing has been poor. That is why the jury is out.

Some nice problems to have though.

Explain to me how someone meanders aimlessly and is involved in 35 PL goals?

Explain to me how someone meanders aimlessly and is involved in 35 PL goals?

Top it's cool, I know we stand on different sides on this.

I never questioned Kane's ability to score...very prolific. Hell and with our team...outside Sonny...nobody else was getting in on the action...so why not.

My argument is his movement off the ball. I don't like it. It is very erratic, he drops WAY out of position...sometimes all the way back to the CBs, and as I watch him when someone else has the ball...just no explosive runs. (though to be fair...nobody else is doing that consistently either...

It would be nice to see Kane making runs splitting the CBs on a consistent basis...or some nice give and goes...just don't see them.

He needs to make a decision...are you the point man up top...then stay up there and give us something...and improve your hold up play. If you want to play in the slot behind the top guy...then do that.

Just my take.

Personally I don't have a problem with his movement, and I don't believe any of the managers he's played for.
Obviously I don't know that for certain, neither do we that he's not been asked to do what he does.
For me he's a striker, he needs to save his energy for when it matters. As him dropping deep, most of Sonny's goal came from him dropping and dragging the CB's with him. This allowed Son to run into space behind him, plus we have no one better at picking a pass.
What I really don't understand is why we continually tear one of the best strikers in the world

In some ways, comparing Dele and Skipp at this stage is very tough on Dele. Skipp plays a very simple position. He protects the back line and feeds the play makers further forward. He uses his defensive smarts to be in the right position at the right time and he is clearly brave in the way he plays.

Dele's role is on another level of complexity. He could focus all game on sitting like Skipp does, but he knows he has to get up and down the pitch and be the receiver from Skipp. We all know that at his best there is barely a player in the Prem better at pulling players out of their positions and creating holes for others. For me, that is his biggest attribute and is achieved by his marathon running. His football intelligence is in some ways ahead of his technique.

Perhaps the better comparison is Bergwijn and Dele. I'm really liking how Stevie's game enables others. His constant movement and defensive smarts has been a massive factor this season. However, we all see him fail to execute some simple passes and his finishing has been poor. That is why the jury is out.

Some nice problems to have though.

Let's take this debate over to the 'formation' thread....

Top it's cool, I know we stand on different sides on this.

I never questioned Kane's ability to score...very prolific. Hell and with our team...outside Sonny...nobody else was getting in on the action...so why not.

My argument is his movement off the ball. I don't like it. It is very erratic, he drops WAY out of position...sometimes all the way back to the CBs, and as I watch him when someone else has the ball...just no explosive runs. (though to be fair...nobody else is doing that consistently either...

It would be nice to see Kane making runs splitting the CBs on a consistent basis...or some nice give and goes...just don't see them.

He needs to make a decision...are you the point man up top...then stay up there and give us something...and improve your hold up play. If you want to play in the slot behind the top guy...then do that.

Just my take.
Kane should have been footballer of the year last year. Nice if he manages to improve his game but I am happy with him as he was last year; the best player in the League.

This backs up my point that Lamela is better than Gil at the moment. Coco is getting picked for the first team and has scored 3 goals in 3 games. He has hit the ground running. Of course Gil may overtake Lamela in contribution levels, but as I have repeatedly said, I am dealing with the NOW. Gil is not an upgrade on Lamela yet.

This backs up my point that Lamela is better than Gil at the moment. Coco is getting picked for the first team and has scored 3 goals in 3 games. He has hit the ground running. Of course Gil may overtake Lamela in contribution levels, but as I have repeatedly said, I am dealing with the NOW. Gil is not an upgrade on Lamela yet.
How is Lamela's form for Sevilla in any way way relevant to his form at Tottenham and as a benchmark for comparing against Gil?

He scored 1 PL goal in his last 2 seasons at Tottenham. He scored a total of 17 PL goals in 8 seasons at Tottenham. It's his stats at Tottenham that's relevant not what he did/does for another club in another country.

It's totally illogical the way you keep banging this drum.

Last edited:
Very progressive of Southgate to play right footed Trippier at LB again. As if he's ever had a good game there. Idiot.

Firstly, am falling asleep watching all these individuals doing their own thing to impress.

As for Tripp, agree with you. It's a disease with Southgate. What purpose does Tripp serve in the game. Still living off that free kick in the past WC. I started counting and got to 8 times he got the ball and passed it inside. Three set piece free kicks totally wasted. Poor Bamford starved of service. Same old, same old. Different personnel (11 changes), same outcome. Common denominator.....on a post card please!

Last edited: