Stadium is looking shabby | Page 16 | Vital Football

Stadium is looking shabby

I don't think someone buying the stadium massively devalued Latics & made a sale more difficult - as I mentioned the American/French group didn't want the stadium as its a bit of a white elephant, needs/needed money spending on it, its too big & it loses £1mill a year.
Get that millstone from round Latics neck & have us paying rent instead with the owners able to put money straight in to the club rather than the stadium & it was more attractive to some - after all that arrangement hasn't harmed investment in Wigan RL
There was no real value in Latics as a separate entity anyway & hence why the administrators said that if you bought the stadium and/or the training ground you could buy us for a quid

I thought exactly the same as you though regarding the Warriors contacting the council to let them know what was happening. The council said a while back when the Bahraini bid was going through that the issue of rent between the stadium owners & the tenants was nothing to do with them & not the reason for any delay with authorising a lease to any new owners
In all honesty I don't really think that the Warriors themselves have any say in what the rent is so the use of the word negotiating isn't really correct IMO. If you rent a house out to a tenant, you're losing money & say to the tenant that you're going to increase the rent by £50 a week if they turned round & asked to negotiate a figure more acceptable to them, then you'd tell them where to go. That's a simplistic view I know but I think Radlinski was overplaying their say in the matter to reassure/placate their fans

I disagree. There are many recent examples of football clubs who have difficulty because they don’t own their ground and are beholden to the owner in terms of rent. Look at Coventry for example. The Bahrainis recognise the importance and are now personalising it to improve our appeal and maximise the value from it.

In regards the rent - I understand what what your saying but it’s not similar in terms of letting a house. There are many people who want to rent a house, but only one club who want to rent the DW so there will be a negotiation, particularly if they explore for example renting Leigh or the Horwich stadium.

The anonymous "press release" was absolutely bang on, wasn't it?
Whoever pushed that into the public domain deserves our eternal gratitude.

I think it was key. The furore that followed I’m certain persuaded Krasner it was a bad idea as he’d be lynched if he went through with it, especially as the club would have been at greater risk of being liquidated as a result.

So many sliding door moments throughout this ordeal. We need to be very gratitude turned out as it did with the Bahraini group buying us.

The fact that they've already gone squealing to the council speaks volumes. They know they've got no legal room to manoeuvre around it and the only thing they can do is try and put pressure on Latics through the council and try to negotiate as small an increase as possible.

This about the Latics owners having a pair of bollocks and holding their nerve here. We've got the rugby exactly where we want them and they can't do a thing about it. They've got nowhere that they can threaten to up sticks and move to, as both Robin Park and Leigh are not big enough to cater for their needs, whilst Bolton will ask for rent just as much as what we probably want, which is market value. They are well and truly trapped and Latics have no excuse to not stay firm and not respond to any pathetic attempts at negotiation from both the Rugby and the Council. Latics need to make it clear..."This is the rent we are asking for from the start of the next rugby season, no negotiation, either pay it or you know where the door is!"

Now I don't know what the market value for a year-long stadium rental is for the facilities that the DW has, but if Hull FC are paying £1m a year for the KCOM then that should be the price for Warriors to rent the DW. As for the stadium, we need to be removing all Wigan Warriors signage and caking the place in Blue and White. Now where's the 200k that the fans raised going to again?

It’s gone to support a council project they stopped funding.

I’m sure I read somewhere that the Huddersfield Giants pay 900 ground. Let’s be charitable and tell em we’ll split the difference and they can pay 975. If it’s market value they’ve no grounds for complaint.

It’s gone to support a council project they stopped funding.

I’m sure I read somewhere that the Huddersfield Giants pay 900 ground. Let’s be charitable and tell em we’ll split the difference and they can pay 975. If it’s market value they’ve no grounds for complaint.

Anyone got a rough idea how much they pay now?

Warriors pay around £300k a year, but that figure fluctuates depending on their gates during the season/how well they are doing.

Three hundred thousand pounds a year! Half a Jason Kerr!!! In return they get free rein of a Premier League standard sports stadium and facilities with a large capacity and Warriors signage decked all over the interior and exterior of the stadium.

It's a fucking disgrace and the piss taking party is over. The fact that doubling the rent wouldn't even bring them close to market value is how much of a fucking joke the original rental agreement was. Peppercorn doesn't even do it justice!

Extract from the accounts from 2 years ago is on P Kendricks Twitter (posted by Mudhutter) which show rental income at circa £800k ….but that may likely be the combined rent from both Latics and Rugby …given the way things were …we were both tenants of the Stadium Company.

That sum from the rugby alone may be viewed as a sizeable rent but it’s probably half of that or less ?

Extract from the accounts from 2 years ago is on the P Kendricks Twitter (posted by Mudhutter) which show rental income circa £800k ….but that may likely be the combined rent from both Latics and Rugby …given the way things were …we were both tenants of the Stadium Company.

That sum from the rugby alone may be viewed as a sizeable rent but it’s probably half of that or less ?

Edit , posted while other were responding ….so suggests £300k is likely a good number

I'm actually stunned at how much of a deviation there is in annual fees.
The bare minimum should be £500k, no less...
500k!!! Are you taking piss? It’s the DW Stadium not Gigg Lane! Market value is a million quid. 500k is half of what they should be paying.

Jesus Christ who negotiated that rental agreement, had our pants down there. They should be charged 900k as that is the standard price if renting a stadium like ours. Wigan was losing a shit ton of money a year due to the stadium and that is a major factor as to why.

500k!!! Are you taking piss? It’s the DW Stadium not Gigg Lane! Market value is a million quid. 500k is half of what they should be paying.
Correct, that's market value for a 50/50 split shared stadium.
And as we all know, a 50/50 split would mean the Egg Chasers would have more of a say in the Stadium than they currently have.

I would be truly astonished if the rent went up 200% (£900k approx)

And as we all know, a 50/50 split would mean the Egg Chasers would have more of a say in the Stadium than they currently have.

No matter what we charge them in rent, it will give them no say in the Stadium, as they rent it, they don't share it, and they certainley don't own it.

So would I but that’s because I don’t think our owners have the spine to raise the rent that high. Not because it isn’t the right thing to do.

They are tenants to the owners of Wigan Athletic. The going rate to play a full season of Rugby League at a Premier League standard stadium is one million pounds a year. Not 500k. Wigan Athletic has nothing to do with it. We’re talking rugby league solely here.

As for the stadium, they could pay ten million a year in rent and they’d have zero say in what happens to the ground (unless they stick it in a contract). That privilege lies solely with the owners of said ground, who are Phoenix 2020.