Summer Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 131 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumour Thread

If you are saying there are no players the club could have brought in to to strengthen the forward line in the next few months then i simply dont believe you.
What do you mean by strengthening?

If you mean strengthening the number of players, undoubtedly we could have.

If you mean finding players at least as good as we already have, not quite so simple.

Tell me how much you think Scully is worth.

Then tell me what a couple of better players would cost.

The other option is Loans of young players from bigger clubs.

Logically they have got to be a top player at L1 level but not good enough to be wanted by a Championship team. That's a pretty narrow group of players.

Judging by this window a handful. Nlundulu is probably one of them.

So it's bloody difficult and despite reports to the contrary they aren't stood on every street corner.

If I am missing something, tell me who and how we could have strengthened, where we have not?

I don't really know what the long term ambition of the club is. If it's a being a decent league one club then fair enough. If we are thinking about the Championship, where's the millions and millions of pounds coming from?

What do you mean by strengthening?

If you mean strengthening the number of players, undoubtedly we could have.

If you mean finding players at least as good as we already have, not quite so simple.

Tell me how much you think Scully is worth.

Then tell me what a couple of better players would cost.

The other option is Loans of young players from bigger clubs.

Logically they have got to be a top player at L1 level but not good enough to be wanted by a Championship team. That's a pretty narrow group of players.

Judging by this window a handful. Nlundulu is probably one of them.

So it's bloody difficult and despite reports to the contrary they aren't stood on every street corner.

If I am missing something, tell me who and how we could have strengthened, where we have not?
The only certainties in life are death and taxes...but you can still roll a dice

Just a short word on the idea that we bet on the wrong horse and it fell down. At some point in the process of going from 15 candidates to a handful of wants and a couple of definite goers to a final choice, you have to make some decisions to cast aside some options and finally decide on one. Sometimes the process will allow you to go back to a cast off and re-ignite the connection, but when there is a definite deadline, once you are committed, if you are strung along with a promise you have to make a judgement call as to whether you want to risk all or back-track. I suggest whichever way you go, you can't do both.

The team chose one direction and it didn't quite happen, to me, that isn't down to bad planning or poor judgement, just a calculated risk that didn't come off this time. Its not the end of the world, just a couple of leaves on the line.

To be honest Johnson in particular was always going to be incredibly hard to replace. IMO last season he was already at a level where he'd have fitted comfortably into Forest's first team and clubs aren't going to send players like that out on loan often.
The big upside to the loans is that their younger players get to play regular mens football which they wouldn't more than likely at say Forest, and if they do well like Johnson and Rogers it adds a few million to their resale value for the parent Club. Whats not to like about that, win win for all three parties.
Just hope we can get hold of Whittaker in January.

There was clearly a deal all but done to cover this 'shortfalling'. It fell through due to other deals not working out. That can happen. The reality is that we identified individuals to try and bring in to improve the quality up front, rather than just another striker because we might need one to cover for Hopper. Remember when Lee Angol returned to the club for the second time as the transfer window closed to almost universal 'That's a bit underwhelming' comments, and him barely featuring.
Just down the road from me is Wolves. They had around four incoming deals poised and ready this time yesterday. They brought in nobody. It can happen at all levels

But, why oh why do so many clubs leave it until the last day of the transfer window?

Because players/agents hold all the cards and wait till late as possible to bag the best deal.

but from the 01/09/21 it switches to the clubs if they want to play football that is, i reckon we can put up a few cut price players now that are free agents.

but from the 01/09/21 it switches to the clubs if they want to play football that is, i reckon we can put up a few cut price players now that are free agents.
"if they want to play football that is"

That's the important part; is there another Aaron Lewis out there who'll sign a contract where they only get paid if they play, maybe?
But I think if a club has massive holes in their squads after the transfer window has closed, and they need to desperately fill them, then that is more power to a Free Agent.

I do not think we are in a desperate situation, so we don't need to give much thought to Free Agents. Our recruitment team are probably already moved on to winter transfer window.

Does that mean we can open a "Winter Transfer Rumour Thread" now?

So I take it that means you haven't got an answer.
Well I had pretty much said what I had to say. I would try and avoid messageboard tit for tat these days. I used to post more in the past but have slightly lost the will and this particular one is often too busy for me to keep up with. There are enough people saying dont forget we were playing Ragarse Rovers 5 years ago and isnt it funny that Grimsby and Sunderland are struggling these days that you don't need another.

However I appreciate you did write a long reply which deserved a better response. So ..
I am not sure where the perception that loans have to be young players, have to come from Premier League teams and have to be long term has come from. I appreciate loans have a cost as with permanent transfers and that it needs to be value for money but loans used to be a short term solution to fill a short term need
I think that is a need we have. It could be that the club saw Whittaker as a bonus and not a necessity. In the near future we may get a clean bill of health on the forward line with Adelakun & Nlundulu proving themselves against League 1 defences. Let's hope so and then we will be fine.
However my view is that we really needed another forward or two. In January we may well got an offer for Scully we can't refuse which will change the whole landscape but until then my view is that we are living on hope.
So I am of the opinion that we should have guaranteed at least one forward in and not left ourselves in the lap of the last minute gods as we did. Sure any player brought in might not have been anywhere near first choice and may indeed have ended up being crap. Every player transaction is a gamble and you just have to try and manipulate the odds in your favour.
I understand my opinion will not be the same as most contributors to this Board. If it was I wouldn't have needed to crawl out from under the stone to post it

This may be a controversial question, but exactly what impact did Rogers have?

Clearly a talented player who had a touch unlike anything I have seen at Lincoln, but his actual influence on many games was negligible. On many occasions, I thought Harry Anderson should have been in the side instead. And it appears our ratings thread agrees - Rogers only averaged 6.49 last season, with 17 players recording a higher average (of whom 13 were regulars: Palmer, Eyoma, Montsma, Edun, McGrandles, Hopper, Grant, Scully, Anderson, Jackson, Bridcutt, Johnson and Walsh). Our ratings are not the be-all-and-end-all, but it seems strange that the members who rated him as our fourteenth best player are now bitterly regretting his departure and saying we haven't replaced him. Furthermore, he failed to score for his final 14 games for us.

A talented young player with a great touch and the ability to score spectacular goals, but what was his overall effect?

Johnson is a different matter entirely. Realistically, we had little chance of finding an equivalent.