The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020) | Page 235 | Vital Football

The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pleased England won but to be fair Ukraine were crap. They looked totally washed out after their previous hard fought win and extra time, and their squad is poor compared to ours.
Sterner tests lie ahead.
Spent a lifetime being disappointed by England, so you will forgive me if I dont jump on the bandwagon just yet.

Exactly mate, their only threat is set pieces. Let's be honest the England Lads who haven't played yet would beat them 9 times out of 10.
I know people like to hedge their bets in case we lose by bigging up the opposition but, it's Denmark without their star man a star man who wouldn't make the England squad. Only the keeper would make the England side and that's probably up for debate

We played Denmark twice last year. Fortunate to scrape a goalless draw in Copenhagen and they beat us at Wembley 1-0. It wasn’t a major tournament but we were certainly trying to win. With England’s history in the Euros I’m not expecting it to be a walkover. In fact I can see a penalty shoot out coming our way

No. When did I say that ?. Not suggesting that at all .

Facts are there. Germany, France, Holland, Portugal, Belgium. Not one of those set the tournament alight . They haven’t been knocked out due to bad luck either .

Perhaps it’s not so easy to set the tournament alight because there are very few rank bad teams now. All underdog teams can cause damage these days through one means or another, coaching, technical skills, physical attributes etc. Disrespect them at your peril.

we have 26 superstar players 24 who play in the PL, which I keep getting told is the best in the world, No other country has that. they may have a few but not 24.
Italy and Spain have the next best leagues and they are there too.
England Denmark is like Man City playing Watford or should be.

Pleased England won but to be fair Ukraine were crap. They looked totally washed out after their previous hard fought win and extra time, and their squad is poor compared to ours.
Sterner tests lie ahead.
Spent a lifetime being disappointed by England, so you will forgive me if I dont jump on the bandwagon just yet.

Agree about disappointment, but because of that, you have to enjoy the good times.

They were up against it from the get go, for sure, but teams like this are still a danger and as someone else said, it would have been such an English thing to do, to beat Germany then get beaten by Ukraine!

Perhaps he was under the illusion that he'd be a guaranteed starter regardless and hence was going through the motions, and now as a result of Saka's better performances he finds himself behind him in selection. I can't see him regaining his place if Saka is fit.

Very true. I think he's well down the pecking order.
Sancho/Saka on the right.
Grealish backup to Sterling. (Sadly).

I STILL had a load of baggies lastnight down the pub with the old chestnut 'if he's that good he'd play - sancho etc better'....Sancho has a dog shit game and I asked them of the same logic applies to Foden? Idiots.

Denmark will be a tough one and I don’t subscribe to the notion that they can only score from set pieces. That cross for Dolberg’s goal was a cracker.

They're decent quality wise and also have that incentive re: Eriksson. I think the Danes will be thinking it's almost fate that they win it now. Dangerous team.

I fancied Italy from the off, and still think they will win it.

Certainly are the team to beat aren’t they . Based on their performances so far. But full house at Wembley for the final when we beat Denmark .
After last night it might well be on you know.…..

Not been a fan of Southgate. Not been a fan of his tactics. But now 5 games into the tournament we are getting better. You have to hold your hands up sometimes and if this was Villa five games unbeaten , 4 wins and a draw without conceding we would be ecstatic whoever was in charge .

Think we can do more as well tbh. That second half was the standard. 70 odd mins in 4 nil and we have 6 players in the vicinity of their corner flag pressing them. We certainly went at them second half and the 2nd Kane goal was sublime build up . But again despite how I think we can be more expansive and front foot who can argue with the approach so far because of the progression in the tournament.

We all want SJ starting. I want him to and i would start him. But again , difficult to argue so far as it’s working. People who watch Foden, Rashford, Sancho every week would be saying the same about those players starting as we do about SJ. I‘m done with the SJ moaning now , is what it is. Not wasting my time . Made my thoughts clear. Time to just get on and enjoy this week hopefully ending with the final . Whatever happens now SJ has proved his worth to the national team , proved he will go to the World Cup if fit and in the form he has shown for 3 years. It’s clear that the plan from Southgate is to interchange the likes of SJ, Sancho, Rashford and Foden. Mount looks like he will start if available , as will Sterling obviously . So the others mentioned above will be the changeable ones. Not entirely sure I agree with Mount though . Can’t really think of anything meaningful he has done other than run around a lot. I think he should be part of the interchangeable group of players.

Whether it is Italy or Spain in the final they will be exhausted by a tough tournament and it's at Wembley so England should win.
If it's Italy then they can revenge Wales' defeats to Denmark & Italy

I think Southgate has found the new way forward in football. Spain, Portugal etc are so slow building up that the oppo penalty area is full of bodies
England have hit on 6 [+keeper] in defence, 1 midfielder and 3 forwards who can all score goals. With Kane & Muppet so good in the air they can dominate set pieces in a way other top teams can't.
Only Italy & a couple of other teams seem to want to score from outside the area; if Spain had a centreback [Ramos] a striker and someone who could shoot from outside the area they'd be great but it is hard to see them scoring [despite a couple of big totals - is own goals their top scorer?].

I look at Denmark and can't help be reminded of Euro 92 or even Greece in Euro 2004. There's an element of destiny about it. Would not be at all surprised if they beat England.

I put a bet on them back then, I saw something on them before the championship, they were given a free pass having not qualified (Yugoslavia were removed) and just had a strange hunch, they had zero pressure, a fantatsic keeper in Schmeichel, and I guess a few other decent players (without googling I wouldn't remember, so won't pretend I do!)

For the tournament my mates in the pub ripped me apart and as it progressed, I got less ribbing and then the day after the final I walked into the pub doing a Harry Enfield 'loads a money' !

Status
Not open for further replies.