Players outgoing..... | Page 4 | Vital Football

Players outgoing.....

How much do we think Rodwell was on, 15k a week ? He'll have taken well over a million quid in wages and perks during his stay.

Money down the drain I'm afraid.
That is the problem when you try and rehabilitate players who had great potential but the wrong attitude (Rodwell/Morrison types). You cannot teach or train the right attitude and trying to get quality on the cheap, in most cases, does not work.
From Wilders point of view hopefully another lesson learned the hard way.

I don't think Jebbison will be straight in the team.

He'll get game time, but it is asking too much of him to lead the line of a team who's fans will DEMAND promotion.

It could all go wrong very quickly for him after five or six games, then we could have another Brewster scenario

I don't think Jebbison will be straight in the team.

He'll get game time, but it is asking too much of him to lead the line of a team who's fans will DEMAND promotion.

It could all go wrong very quickly for him after five or six games, then we could have another Brewster scenario
It will 100 percent go wrong if we do not get that midfield sorted. Get the supply right and Jebbison and Brewster have the potential to be the New Deane and Agana. Of course only potential but if they gel watch us go.

That is the problem when you try and rehabilitate players who had great potential but the wrong attitude (Rodwell/Morrison types). You cannot teach or train the right attitude and trying to get quality on the cheap, in most cases, does not work.
From Wilders point of view hopefully another lesson learned the hard way.

Apart from stories about Morrison being fined a lot for turning up late there hasn't been noises about the pairs attitude being bad. I think fitness was more an issue and the pair of them not being able to perform and influence games at the level we required.

Duffy, if cooler heads had prevailed, would have given us much more in 2019/20 than Morrison did and ditto Stearman for Rodwell, Stearman would have gotten the game time he wanted. Those two wouldn't have kept us up but we'd have been a few points better off.

I never understood why we signed him in the first place.

Because Wilder wasn't God after all.
Add Rodwell to Leonard,Carruthers,Holmes,Robinson,Evans,Morrison,Foderingham and Burke.

Might soon be adding a few more when Slav looks at them and laughs; before putting the silencer on his Glock and dispassionately despatching them with neck shots.

Because Wilder wasn't God after all.
Add Rodwell to Leonard,Carruthers,Holmes,Robinson,Evans,Morrison,Foderingham and Burke.

Might soon be adding a few more when Slav looks at them and laughs; before putting the silencer on his Glock and dispassionately despatching them with neck shots.

No, he wasn't - I think all managers who have had a considerable time at a club have signed some bad players. I'm sure even Fergie and Wenger signed some donkeys in their time - just get remembered for good ones!

Warnock wracked up a decent list for us too, and who cannot forget Axel Smeets. Think Heath signed him up though.

No, he wasn't - I think all managers who have had a considerable time at a club have signed some bad players. I'm sure even Fergie and Wenger signed some donkeys in their time - just get remembered for good ones!

Warnock wracked up a decent list for us too, and who cannot forget Axel Smeets. Think Heath signed him up though.

I don't recall any supporters criticizing Leonard, Holmes, Robinson, Evans at the time and allegedly he only lost money on Holmes through injury. Carruthers cost 250,000 and along with Morrison was a punt, some fans actually ignoring his past history and convinced CW would relight his career. Managers make bad signings tell me one who hasn't , depending on who you believe JS was involved in blowing 100+ million and Fulham were still relegated, we all hope he gets it right this time.

I don't recall any supporters criticizing Leonard, Holmes, Robinson, Evans at the time and allegedly he only lost money on Holmes through injury. Carruthers cost 250,000 and along with Morrison was a punt, some fans actually ignoring his past history and convinced CW would relight his career. Managers make bad signings tell me one who hasn't , depending on who you believe JS was involved in blowing 100+ million and Fulham were still relegated, we all hope he gets it right this time.

On paper most of CW's signings looked good or were calculated punts, the problem came when trying to implement the signings into the formation and ethos of the side.

On Freeman's departure to Forest CW said in an interview he was unlucky the formation changed and an ACM became obsolete. Surely when spending five million on a player, a record fee at the time, there should be a little bit of forward planning from the manager. Freeman, just like Leonard and Holmes were long term targets we persued over a couple of windows.

Sounds like Wilder has been taken off the short list at WBA. He will struggle to get a top end job now as Chairman will be wary of his controlling and mardy attitude when things go wrong. Sad really but that has come back to haunt him.

Sounds like Wilder has been taken off the short list at WBA. He will struggle to get a top end job now as Chairman will be wary of his controlling and mardy attitude when things go wrong. Sad really but that has come back to haunt him.

Callum will be relieved.

CW using interviews to attack the Prince and the Board during a period of time he was performing terribly won't have gone unnoticed by any future employer. Or the fact he wasted millions bringing in players who flopped.

It really is fascinating just how quickly a manager's stock can rise and fall.

On paper most of CW's signings looked good or were calculated punts, the problem came when trying to implement the signings into the formation and ethos of the side.

On Freeman's departure to Forest CW said in an interview he was unlucky the formation changed and an ACM became obsolete. Surely when spending five million on a player, a record fee at the time, there should be a little bit of forward planning from the manager. Freeman, just like Leonard and Holmes were long term targets we persued over a couple of windows.
Raumdeuter stands for a footballer who uses his brain to be in the right place
so perhaps Freemans conldn't adapt Raum?

Callum will be relieved.

CW using interviews to attack the Prince and the Board during a period of time he was performing terribly won't have gone unnoticed by any future employer. Or the fact he wasted millions bringing in players who flopped.

It really is fascinating just how quickly a manager's stock can rise and fall.
Yes i agree and really interesting how when things were going good Wilder was a breathe of fresh air but when Plan A started going wrong he had no Plan B. He must have known how much he had to spend last August but put too many eggs in the Brewster basket. He could and should still be the manager but his lack of any kind of humility or admittance of mistakes shows a real inner weakness.
I really hope he has learned lessons and improves that area of his personality in the future.

Yes i agree and really interesting how when things were going good Wilder was a breathe of fresh air but when Plan A started going wrong he had no Plan B. He must have known how much he had to spend last August but put too many eggs in the Brewster basket. He could and should still be the manager but his lack of any kind of humility or admittance of mistakes shows a real inner weakness.
I really hope he has learned lessons and improves that area of his personality in the future.

Wilder learned a lot from the 2017/18 season, which fell to pieces after the Coutts injury and we suffered burn out in the last third. He'll probably come out of the season just gone a better manager. A mountain of mistakes to learn from.

Dealing with Mousset would have been a whole learning tree for Wilder by itself.

Raumdeuter stands for a footballer who uses his brain to be in the right place
so perhaps Freemans conldn't adapt Raum?

I think Freeman has the brain and the ability Chips. It's just whether he has the confidence, desire and fitness to be a success at the Lane.

He was at unfortunate with the change of manager at Forest, who were expected to have a mutch better season than they did, so now he comes back with Jokanovic offering him a fresh start. If we do play 4-2-3-1 Freeman can play either on the left or the centre of the supporting three.

I'm surprised nobody voiced their concerns about CW's recruitment and formations before this disaster of a season. Certainly didn't recall any when we finished 9th but that's what winning games does. Never bought into the "Wilder we Trust" movement, All i saw was a manger getting the best out of a group of players, which he did, but every manager or player has a level they can't go above and CW reached his as did some of our players. Every manager makes bad signings as I said JS was connected to Fulham who blew 100+ mill let's hope he doesn't replicate it at the Lane.

I'm surprised nobody voiced their concerns about CW's recruitment and formations before this disaster of a season. Certainly didn't recall any when we finished 9th but that's what winning games does. Never bought into the "Wilder we Trust" movement, All i saw was a manger getting the best out of a group of players, which he did, but every manager or player has a level they can't go above and CW reached his as did some of our players. Every manager makes bad signings as I said JS was connected to Fulham who blew 100+ mill let's hope he doesn't replicate it at the Lane.
I seem to remember quite a few voicing concerns after witnessing the drop off to the preceding season and some questioned the strength in depth but most assumed those brought in would be adequate and plenty wanted cover in for JOC after he got injured, maybe I was reading a different forum 🤷‍♂️

I seem to remember quite a few voicing concerns after witnessing the drop off to the preceding season and some questioned the strength in depth but most assumed those brought in would be adequate and plenty wanted cover in for JOC after he got injured, maybe I was reading a different forum 🤷‍♂️

I think some fans got carried away before the lockdown I seem to recall FA cup winners and European football were on the agenda. When results went south after lockdown the mood changed, to finish 9th was a tremendous effort and far beyond our expectations. I'm sure in an ideal world the club would have invested more in the squad the reality is the owner hasn't the wherewithal to make that happen.