Match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Lincoln City | Page 29 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Lincoln City

I think Poole and TJ both offer strong and different things, combined with injuries at CB and TJ 'burning out' according to MA's data it makes sense why he has picked who he has at RB.

For me some of the things Poole brings to the team are:
- Strong in the air. We are a fairly small team apart from CBs, Hopper and McG so defensively he helps us to concede less from set pieces. To be fair to him its usually him or Hopper get their head on a clearance.

- Attacking set pieces: Also gets on the end of a lot of attacking set pieces. From memory I can remember 4 or 5 times he's got on the end of set pieces and should have hit the target. Therefore, accuracy and composure needs to improve but he has the ingredients to score a few goals a season from that

- Bravery, strength, will to win: I'm basing this on Bristol Rovers away. I don't know if i'm alone here but he was colossal in that game and key to us getting breathing space in securing the playoff place in a really hard, high pressure game. Especially after clattering against the post and clearly being injured he got up, hobbled on and still kicked, headed and cleared everything that came his way.

- Stop the cross: I feel he stops more crosses than any of the full backs. Not based on data though so could be wrong.

- Final third: He looks far more comfortable when he gets into a crossing position or into the box. This hasn't transpired into goals or assists but personally I think that's been a wider issue of people not getting into the box enough, and not making the most of balls flashed across the goal from wide.

There's lots more positives and obviously TJ is a fantastic player who has many qualities better than Poole. I definitely think they are very different players though. Maybe if we didn't need a 3rd cb on standby, he hadn't burnt out (according to MA) and we wern't down to 1 CB plus TJ lately he would have featured at RB more. Who knows. I like them both to be honest.

I think Poole and TJ both offer strong and different things, combined with injuries at CB and TJ 'burning out' according to MA's data it makes sense why he has picked who he has at RB.

For me some of the things Poole brings to the team are:
- Strong in the air. We are a fairly small team apart from CBs, Hopper and McG so defensively he helps us to concede less from set pieces. To be fair to him its usually him or Hopper get their head on a clearance.

- Attacking set pieces: Also gets on the end of a lot of attacking set pieces. From memory I can remember 4 or 5 times he's got on the end of set pieces and should have hit the target. Therefore, accuracy and composure needs to improve but he has the ingredients to score a few goals a season from that

- Bravery, strength, will to win: I'm basing this on Bristol Rovers away. I don't know if i'm alone here but he was colossal in that game and key to us getting breathing space in securing the playoff place in a really hard, high pressure game. Especially after clattering against the post and clearly being injured he got up, hobbled on and still kicked, headed and cleared everything that came his way.

- Stop the cross: I feel he stops more crosses than any of the full backs. Not based on data though so could be wrong.

- Final third: He looks far more comfortable when he gets into a crossing position or into the box. This hasn't transpired into goals or assists but personally I think that's been a wider issue of people not getting into the box enough, and not making the most of balls flashed across the goal from wide.

There's lots more positives and obviously TJ is a fantastic player who has many qualities better than Poole. I definitely think they are very different players though. Maybe if we didn't need a 3rd cb on standby, he hadn't burnt out (according to MA) and we wern't down to 1 CB plus TJ lately he would have featured at RB more. Who knows. I like them both to be honest.
Sensible, fair analysis.

It will be interesting to watch Poole next season, whether against Sheffield United or Cheltenham. If the former, might we also still see TJ in an Imps shirt?

peterborough and last night added to the evidence that we are a top team with as many of the 'first 11' playing as possible. league position and the performances up to around the gillingham away game showed this. the results during the spell of injuries also showed this.

last night was also a chance for the squad players to stake a place. it was going to take an outstanding individual performance to break into the first 11. i thought they all put a shift in, plenty of graft, but we lacked the x factor.

first 11 for play offs, or as close as we can get:
front three. still morgan/hopper/johnson imo. the momentum and confidence of these three has not been affected by last night's performance. scully and anderson off the bench if we need them

midfield three. still mcgrandles/bridcutt/grant imo. their confidence is also not affected by last night's game. sanders showed he is fit again, and looked good as back up if we need to put him on at any point.

back four. eyoma/jackson if he recovers/walsh/undecided on edun or bramall. walsh showed he is fit again, big plus.

keeper. palmer.

plenty of x factor there, most of our best performances involve most of these players, most of the time.

having said that, in the play offs we need to work out a way to deal with stockley (and specially stockley+aneke) better - if charlton make the play offs. this also applies to wyke. and simms. depending on who we end up playing.

and we also need to defend corners/free kicks better. another reason hopper and bridcutt improve the 11 is that they are better headers of the ball. same applies to jackson in the centre of defence (over eyoma and montsma). overall imo jackson and walsh would be better organised.

#uti

To reiterate:

1. We’re all imps & this is without doubt the best times I’ve ever had as a supporter. MA continues to do a fantastic job.
2. When the result really matters, play your best team. None of this he’s a loan not our player rhetoric.
3. Riding a wave doesn’t mean all decisions are immune from criticism. Win, draw or lose opinions on players & player comparisons are built up over a period of time. Some will agree, some will disagree. As I’ve alluded to previously as a lurker, any portrayed negative media on this forum tends to get shot down by the same posters, often quite aggressively.

So, would you agree that the manager is wrong re Poole/Eyoma, or would you sit on the fence eating a pie?

Because I can't be bothered to write an essay regarding what I think on how the manager is thinking or how things have changed in relation to the team over the season I'm going to sit on the fence and eat my chicken and mushroom pie thanks Clive.

I was a ST 8 years ago so I was there but I can't remember the absolute detail. I would guess though that although we were in a hell of a mess we weren't 10 places ahead of our budget 8 years ago, probably more likely 10 places below our budget.

I think being 10 places ahead of budget should meet anyone's reasonable expectations. Hopes and dreams are another matter.

Reasonable expectations based on budgets are fine at the start of the season.

Reasonable expectations based on budgets are fine at the start of the season.

Exceeding your budget position at the start of the season is fine. Anyone can have a hot streak. Are you saying significantly exceeding your budget position across 46 matches is a perfectly reasonable expectation? Par for the course. Bang average?

It was like cage-fighting on here. Animals. 😆

Well if losing 3-1 to Charlton, after securing a playoff spot in League 1 with 2 games to spare, while resting about a third of your starting X1, doesn't get the red blood flowing, nothing will. Wild times I tell you.

Exceeding your budget position at the start of the season is fine. Anyone can have a hot streak. Are you saying significantly exceeding your budget position across 46 matches is a perfectly reasonable expectation? Par for the course. Bang average?

No I am saying that when you get to 44 games in and you're near the top, your expectations change. This isn't really that difficult.

3. As I’ve alluded to previously as a lurker, any portrayed negative media on this forum tends to get shot down by the same posters, often quite aggressively.

2015-16. National League 13th (105)
2016-17. National League. 1st. (93)
2017-18. EFL2 7th (75)
2018-19. EFL2. 1st (69)
2019-20. EFL1. 16th (60)
2020-21. EFL1. 6th (or higher) (50)

I have just put the recent league positions and place in the football pyramid in brackets.

It just puts into perspective the real "momentum" the club has.

When discussing most topics "Lincoln City" during the last few years, it's not unreasonable to expect a fairly robust response to anyone being overly negative and especially questioning the decisions of the last two managers.

Those posters who have shot down strongly negative opinions have been on a winner.

They may have no greater insight into all things football than those they shoot down... but they may have come to the conclusion that the managers that have produced the rise (from a place below Woking to one well above Ipswich) might know what they are doing.

I generally find that the forum is reasonably tolerant of a variety of views. Providing there is some merit in the argument.

I think TJ is an excellent player but Poole is a good player that is becoming increasingly influential.

No one is likely to shoot you down if you rate one slightly higher than the other... but to say Poole is rubbish will get shot down.

The truth is the top 50 clubs of English football don't have crap players.

Last edited:
2015-16. National League 13th (105)
2016-17. National League. 1st. (93)
2017-18. EFL2 7th (75)
2018-19. EFL2. 1st (69)
2019-20. EFL1. 16th (60)
2020-21. EFL1. 6th (or higher) (50)

I have just put the recent league positions and place in the football pyramid in brackets.

It just puts into perspective the real "momentum" the club has.

When discussing most topics "Lincoln City" during the last few years, it's not unreasonable to expect a fairly robust response to anyone being overly negative and especially questioning the decisions of the last two managers.

Those posters who have shot down strongly negative opinions have been on a winner.

They may have no greater insight into all things football than those they shoot down... but they may have come to the conclusion that the managers that have produced the rise (from a place below Welling to one well above Ipswich) might know what they are doing.

I generally find that the forum is reasonably tolerant of a variety of views. Providing there is some merit in the argument.

I think TJ is an excellent player but Poole is a good player that is becoming increasingly influential.

No one is likely to shoot you down if you rate one slightly higher than the other... but to say Poole is rubbish will get shot down.

The truth is the top 50 clubs of English football don't have crap players.

A very informative, and fact-laden post. The only caveat I would add, is that in addition to the manager knowing what they are doing, it would appear that other roles occupied throughout the club, from top to bottom, appear to be just as influential to our current trajectory.

Last edited:
At the end of the day we are in the playoffs and need our best team available. We have to have as many players available as possible not risking burn out and injury in the last two games is not an option We need our best players available and on what we have seen over the season we are a match for anyone in this league.
My selection for the playoffs if available having watched all season would be and no doubt I will be shot down but here goes.
Palmer
TJ/Poole Monstma/Jackson Walsh Tayo / Bramall
McGrandles Bridcutt Grant
Rogers Hopper Johnson
I am sure MApp will take on board my thoughts but he will make the final decision which will be the the right one. Long may our season continue