The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 411 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, come on, one Smith thread only is more than enough.

This can be merged once folks have seen the link.

Both owners being around the 60 mark they won't want to hang around forever, These people don't let the grass grow under their feet, I think they'll want to press on very quickly.

I think to even start as manager next season he will need to have a decent finish. These guys are very successful businessmen and they didn't get their wealth by being soft with their managers. They will have set targets for this season and if they are not achieved then Dean will have some explaining to do. For all we know they may already be sounding out potential managers, it will be interesting as to how they see things. One thing I can be certain of is if Dean is still here for next season and we start like we are finishing then he'll be getting his P45 before Xmas.

People keep saying that but if they didn't sack him last year when they had every right, opportunity and excuse too why would they now when he's achieved even more?

I think these lads are much more pragmatic and patient than we're giving credit for. Easily 1 to 2 seasons ahead of their original plan, albeit after some sheer luck and magnificent and timely performances.

IMO you can easily attribute most of the recent failures in this league for various clubs to impatience, not just poor execution. Whether that is KDB and Salah at Chelsea, Watfords string of sackings, WBAs sacking, Spurs sacking Poch, Chelsea's merry-go-round of managers, Newcastle unloading Rafa.

Consistency with a plan seems to pay.

I think we all know he's not getting the sack anytime soon, too much of an upheaval, Dean fits in with Purslows and the owner's plans.
He's a Villa man he gets it, the first manager since JG that gets it.
Many think that doesn't matter but it does. He's not using Villa as a stepping stone he's here for the long haul, like it or not He ain't going nowhere!

The owners and Purslow are running the club their way, Moneyball, young and hungry, buy em cheap developed them sell them and round we go again, we are currently in the development stage, next will be selling players like Konsa and Watkins for 60m each paying 15m for replacements who come in and off we go again

That might be sooner than you think if the price is right.
Can you imagine the meltdown on here, but it has to happen at some point , if the club is to be self-funding which is the plan. The owners might keep bunging in the TV money for players but they aren't going to keep putting their own money in to prop up the infrastructure and wages for ever

We have yet to have any of the self appointed "Big 6" come in and try and raid any of our players. This summer we might get to experience that and it will be interesting to see how the club and indeed players react were it to happen.
NB* i've said before they are all replaceable with the exception of Jack.

The nonsense is what you have spouted here! I never stated the only decent player we have is JG, I stated that we would be in a relegation battle if we hadn't had JG earlier in the season. I also clearly imply that quality should have been purchased ELGhazi, TRez & Traore are not.

You are arguing with someone who said Davies is useless or something to that effect because he did not score against Man City 🤣

Crikey after reading some of the posts on the last few pages if Villa were to miraculously win the title against all the odds, like Leicester, next season with Jack playing every game, I’m certain there will be one or two who will respond with....’Ah but we’ve only won it because Jack has played all season...Dean has to prove he can manage without us him...’ Can’t we just enjoy and embrace the fact that Jack is a wonderful talent and Dean Smith is the manager who’s managed to get every ounce out of him and more since being at the club?! Don’t think that suits the narrative of one or two perhaps but surely, nobody can argue that Dean Smith hasn’t helped to bring out the very best in Jack. For that alone he deserves a smidgen of credit from his most fiercest of critics.

Forgive me for thinking he has to get the best out of 11 players and get the team to play well despite losing ONE player.

We have yet to have any of the self appointed "Big 6" come in and try and raid any of our players. This summer we might get to experience that and it will be interesting to see how the club and indeed players react were it to happen.
NB* i've said before they are all replaceable with the exception of Jack.

In fact I'd be glad to see anyone but Jack and Emi go.

Forgive me for thinking he has to get the best out of 11 players and get the team to play well despite losing ONE player.

Forgive me for not being completely obsessed by us being less effective without one of the best Villa players we’ve had in many a year whilst our rebuilding project continues......

So if we sold Cash, Mings, Konsa, Targett and Watkins you'd be happy. If we were anywhere near as terrible as some seem to believe then we'd be bottom with less points than Derby in 07/08.

Yes. If we need to take the club to the next level and compete in Europe we need Emi and Jack level players.

Status
Not open for further replies.